• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to measure close in jitter with the Jtest.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have been wondering if it was possible to get some idea about close in jitter with a Jtest. I realize that my gear is not lab grade stuff, and probably just not able to get it done. Still I wondered how far we needed to get for some results.

One problem is getting the clocks of ADC and DAC close enough. The clocks varying in speed by 150 ppm is not at all uncommon. So how close do they need to be for accuracy close in.

Here are some artificial results. Here is a 2 khz wide view of a 128k FFT of 12 khz being 10 ppm fast in green, being 3 ppb fast in blue and being a pure 12 khz tone in red.

10 ppm 3 ppb dead on.png

The same view over a 40 hz wide band around 12 khz at 48 khz sampling.
10ppm 3 ppb 40 hz wide.png

You can see a pure tone, when using the Hanning window is -6 db about .3 hz off center and negative infinity .7 hz off center frequency.

The 10 ppm fast result is -21 db at .7 hz off center. With 3 ppb fast being -97 db at .7 hz off center. So if clocks are off by 3 parts per billion it begins to corrupt the result at less than 1 hz? Hmmm, that isn't good. I would note the 10 ppm fast Jtest drops below -180 db about 255 hz either side of the center frequency. So for anything beyond that in the sidebands you won't see any corruption of the results. For closer in the clocks differing by 10 ppm is corrupting what you see.

What I tried next is running the Jtest to determine how much the clocks differed and then shifting the frequency of the DAC file to compensate. So the ADC was seeing something much closer to what would record as exactly 12 khz. I could get to around 1 ppm close this way. The results closer in were better. However, I found once compensated for every DAC on hand measured the same result including my $39 HDMI switcher with built in audio DAC. Meaning all the DACs had jitter closer in that were less than measurement artifacts if timing differed that much.

It occurred to me eventually to do a slow sweep. Skipping lots of details, I artificially generated a sweep that was 12 khz plus and minus 10 ppb over 4 minutes. The middle 9 seconds of such a file would give a result identical to a pure 12 khz tone. Minus infinity at .7 hz offset and greater.

I could get the actual DAC frequency to record within 1 ppm of the ADC frequency, and then adjust in software the speed of the recorded file. It is some trial and error and tedious work beyond, but usually I could get the effective tone within 10 ppb or less of the target 12 khz tone.

At that point using real signals from various gear, the results began to differ close in for different DACs. It also looks much more like jitter close in would look. For instance moving the FFT along 500 samples at a time (when 131072 samples are being used for the FFT) would cause the .7 hz offset to bounce around considerably. For some gear between -70 db and -115 db while lesser gear like the HDMI switcher might stay between -50db and -70 db.

For those wondering what software I used it was Audacity. Audacity version 2.0.3 or earlier would do speed changes in steps as small as 3 parts per billion accurately. I think 2.0.4 would as well. Unfortunately current (recent) versions only do changes in steps down to 10 ppm. However, generating slow sweeps the old versions were deficient, and new versions of Audacity will do a slow 4 minute sweep of 10 parts per billion accurately (and even slower sweeps for that matter). I evaluated results in Wave Spectra 1.51 doing this.

Now I think the jitter of my ADC is something of a limiting factor. There is some similarity once the gear starts showing mostly below -80 db at the .7 hz offset.

How important is all this? Probably not much, such small differences at such close offsets are likely to be masked heavily by the main signal. It is something of a fad to say it is very close in jitter that separates good from great digital gear so I wanted a way to get a handle on it. Other than the proclamation no one seems to have any data about it. This looks like a tedious ponderous way of getting some data.

Several of you here are more knowledgeable about such things and may point out where I have messed up. Please do. Don't worry about hurting my feelings. I'll complain anyway, but I will listen, and ask stupid questions.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well the problem is that for serious measurement you need to have characterised the phase noise performance of the ADC. To do so you need a source of much higher accuracy and lower phase noise - and again known performance. Phase noise performance is something that drives cost in spectrum analysers.

For home kit forget getting absolute numbers, but there is no harm in getting comparative information, one DAC v another one.

More RF based but general info. Seriously expensive kit :)

http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/N9068-90002.pdf?id=2559054

http://www.keysight.com/en/pc-1000000472:epsg:pgr/phase-noise-measurement?nid=-35185.0.00&cc=AU&lc=eng

http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5989-6388EN.pdf?id=1133300

http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5991-1748EN.pdf?id=2303225

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Just don't listen to instruments with "pure" tones...

Synthesizers are out (depending on their modulation settings and clock). And maybe pianos and harps.

That's all that comes to mind right now, most everything else has some warble due to breath or fingering or artistic intent.

Drum pitch (at least the harmonics) probably changes with the stretch/relaxation/doppler of the heads.

Get @DonH56 to send you his best effort at a single unwavering trumpet note and see how it measures.

And turn off the ceiling fan.

Then take a nap.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The instrument with tone closest to a pure sine wave is the flute. Brass and reed woodwinds have different overtones (not all harmonic). Strings generate a range of harmonics.

In my world jitter testing requires the DSO (typically, a 25 to 50 GHz model at 100 GS/s or more with deep memory) or other jitter test instrument to recover the data from the clock to get an accurate answer and perform jitter separation. Even then it can get it wrong.

Measuring close-in phase noise and jitter can be a major pain.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
The instrument with tone closest to a pure sine wave is the flute.
But quite a lot of breath noise - which must surely resemble jitter.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The instrument with tone closest to a pure sine wave is the flute.

My experimentation says it is the glass jug.

I blew on a big bottle one day, and there was almost nothing for harmonics.

flute_sprectrum.gif

G4.B.sound.gif

Grolsch 330ml Beer Bottle

upload_2017-10-3_10-21-12.png

Finger on wet stemmed glass rim (harmonium)

upload_2017-10-3_10-35-52.png

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
But quite a lot of breath noise - which must surely resemble jitter.

Not that much unless mic'd very close to the headjoint and embouchure hole. But I have never attempted to measure jitter on a flute.

Top Bottom