• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to improve my av system: receiver or DAC?

makalister

Hi,

I’d like to improve my current av system. Actually my system is this one:

Denon X2300H avr,
Klipsch rp-280 front speakers
klipcch rp-440c center speaker
JBL scs 178 surrounds
SVS PB-12NDS subwoofer
Sony xf9005 full array led TV
M9201 streamer, a oppo OPD-205 clone

For cinema I’m quite happy how it works but I would like to improve music listening. I know that RP-280 speakers are not the best for music but I mostly listen to rock music and sounds nice. I used to hear music in “direct” move. To me, sounds better than stereo. The thing is that after auddissey calibration, I leave the front speakers in small. In stereo mode, the denon palys music from front speaker + sub. The result is not as good as in “direct” mode. Anyway, looking for improvement so I was thinking in two possibilities, 1st add a DAC to the system, I was thinking on topping e30. And 2nd one, change the receiver that has many years. Idea is to take something like denon 3700 or new onkyo with dirac. For sure in cinema mode I would get better result with second option, but do the 3700 or de new onkyo have better DAC (and music playing result) than a DAC added to my current sytem? I’ve never had a DAC and even I read a lot abut them, can’t estimate how much improvement do they gave.

Which option would you tka?

Regards

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can use the Denon Android app to disable Audyssey when you want to switch from cinema to music. Wouldn't that fix your problem?

OP
M

makalister

Could be an option. But if I do that and add a DAC, will improve even more?

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A DAC isn't a miracle box that will completely change your sound quality. It would make more sense to look for different speakers, because that at least will make a significant audible difference. The x2300h is fine.

SKBubba

If you haven't already, try playing around with Audyssey settings for stereo mode.

You might get better "klipsch" sound using the flat setting. You can also try bypass l/r which is sort of like direct+sub.

Depending on how loud you listen, definitely give dynamic eq a try. This, to me, is the best feature of Audyssey. Make sure to turn off dynamic volume.

As you play around with the settings, listen as normal for a few hours to decide if there's an improvement before trying other variations.

OP
M

makalister

Hi
Actually I was using dynamic eq on and dinamic vol off. I will try with flat configuration on multi eq.
While I was checking my configuration I made another trial. I try to switch off audissey and "play" with graphic EQ, but the receiver didn't let me. How can I configure graphic eq?
Thanks

SKBubba

Hi
Actually I was using dynamic eq on and dinamic vol off. I will try with flat configuration on multi eq.
While I was checking my configuration I made another trial. I try to switch off audissey and "play" with graphic EQ, but the receiver didn't let me. How can I configure graphic eq?
Thanks

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Speakers. 50% of the sound. Room 49% of the sound. Electronics, 1% of the sound.
Audissey, IMHO, horrible. ARC ( Anthem) is better, but they are still just hacks to fix the room and work best if the speakers and room are up to par first. Most of these programs try to make it too flat, and that is not actually what you want.

I do not know what the modes of newer AVRs are, but my old ( s-video vintage) had a true analog in to out stereo mode. I think my Rotel did too. I listen mostly background music through my AVR (MXR310) and it seems fine with the ARC settings. Serious music in the living room.

Top Bottom