• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to get 24/96 from Tidal

obviouslygene

hey guys, I'm still pretty new here.
I've tried to read up but still pretty confused.
I first ran my xiaomi mi box s toslink to a smsl su-8.
streaming tidal from it shows 48k.
I then got volumio on a pi2, thinking I would be able to stream a higher bit rate into the dac.
But all I got was 16/44.1, is there any other way to get 24/96 on the master files?

gvl

Major Contributor
I suspect you can't get a masters quality MQA unfolded digital stream out of an Android device, or at least not easily. Volumio can't decode MQA. With a non-MQA external DAC you might be limited to the desktop Tidal app, it will unfold MQA and allow for higher sampling rates to the DAC.

OP
O

obviouslygene

Hi gvl! thanks for the input, I read somewhere that if I don't have a MQA capable DAC, it will still play a 24/48k stream?
I may have misunderstood that.

OP
O

obviouslygene

just an update, if i pay for volumio subscription, i get the 24/96 from tidal masters.

edit: it's actually 24/48 not 24/96, typo!

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi gvl! thanks for the input, I read somewhere that if I don't have a MQA capable DAC, it will still play a 24/48k stream?
I may have misunderstood that.
That is correct although some content may also be 24/44.1.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I then got volumio on a pi2, thinking I would be able to stream a higher bit rate into the dac.
How do you talk to Volumio? If it is with Airplay, then it will truncate to 16 bits.

gvl

Major Contributor
just an update, if i pay for volumio subscription, i get the 24/96 from tidal masters.

Hmm, do you have a link? I can't find a confirmation that Volumio can actually decode MQA. My understanding it can only pass through an MQA encoded stream to an external decoder.

OP
O

obviouslygene

How do you talk to Volumio? If it is with Airplay, then it will truncate to 16 bits.

I tried bubbleupnp but it also renders it to 16/44.1 so thats out the window.
So I signed up for volumio virtuoso trial, and that gives me 24/48.

Top Bottom