• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to Decide - Cambridge Audio CXN v2 vs Matrix Audio Element I2

Walls

The CXN v2 is currently on sale for about $1,100 and the Element I2 is about $1,600 - or $500 more expensive. The I2 has features I don't need like HDMI ARC, MQA, volume control, headphone amp, etc. I intend to use this mainly for hi-res streaming and internet radio - to be connected to my MAC7200 receiver. The CXN uses a Wolfson DAC and the I2 uses an ESS DAC. If you are familiar with both models and have heard both, which sounds better to your ears?

If they sound the same or are very nearly similar, I'll go with the CXN. If there is a noticeable sonic improvement with the I2, I'll spend the extra $500 and go with the I2. There are no dealers in my area. Thanks for the input!!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've only heard the CXN v2. Nothing wrong with the sound. I didn't particularly like the interface after spending some time with it. Of course I've yet to see a streamer I did like though I've not tried all that many. A friend owns the CXN v2.

Streamers are probably best controlled by an app on phone or tablet. I've not had much chance to use that with the CXN. It has been out a few years so I would guess newer streamers might be more advanced in that regard.

Oh, and welcome to ASR as this looks like your first post.

Vintage Flanker has reviewed the CXN with measurements here.

Amir has measured another couple of the Matrix products. Not the one you are looking into, but makes me think their products perform well more than likely.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
If you want to play DSD files, the Cambridge cxn V2 converts everything internally to pcm. Maximum pcm input is 192khz , that gets upsampled to 384khz.

It's not possible to turn the upsampling off.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you want to play from a NAS with the V2 you are forced to select number for number.
As a owner i am very satisfied with the V2, sound is good, app is wonderfull.
Save the 500 and pay that for Qobuz or so

OP
W

Walls

I've only heard the CXN v2. Nothing wrong with the sound. I didn't particularly like the interface after spending some time with it. Of course I've yet to see a streamer I did like though I've not tried all that many. A friend owns the CXN v2.

Streamers are probably best controlled by an app on phone or tablet. I've not had much chance to use that with the CXN. It has been out a few years so I would guess newer streamers might be more advanced in that regard.

Amir has measured another couple of the Matrix products. Not the one you are looking into, but makes me think their products perform well more than likely.

Thank you so much for your wealth of information. Much appreciated!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The Cambridge app is OK- nothing extraordinary- perfectly functional though. And Spotify /Tidal Connect integration means those services work seamlessly built in now. Also works well as a Roon endpoint for those that have money to burn

Gyosa1

I have a Cambridge 851n .
when I replace it , ill probably go with the Matrix Element M2.
that way I can simplify my system via the HDMI ARC input.

I don’t think the I2 has an HDMI input.

K

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The CXN v2 is currently on sale for about $1,100 and the Element I2 is about $1,600 - or $500 more expensive. The I2 has features I don't need like HDMI ARC, MQA, volume control, headphone amp, etc. I intend to use this mainly for hi-res streaming and internet radio - to be connected to my MAC7200 receiver. The CXN uses a Wolfson DAC and the I2 uses an ESS DAC. If you are familiar with both models and have heard both, which sounds better to your ears?

If they sound the same or are very nearly similar, I'll go with the CXN. If there is a noticeable sonic improvement with the I2, I'll spend the extra $500 and go with the I2. There are no dealers in my area. Thanks for the input!!
DAC’s and streamers don’t sound different. That is unless they are broken or flawed.

seedless

I've just got the element i2 and I can share my personal experience, nothing instrumental or too technical.
It is well done, materials look pretty and well refined. Easy to set up and install, sounds great (drives a Conrad Johnson CAV 50 + Focal Chorus 860V). Straightforward use with Roon and BubbleUPnP, I could reproduce MQA with any kind of issues.
The only down side it's the MA remote app. First of all it frequently freezes when you select a new song to play, many times I had to force the closing or reset the element. Actually I didn't yet understand if this is an issue of the app or the unit. I'm using the android app and the element is connect by wired LAN.

The second thing I don't like is that you have a series of filters to apply

Screenshot_20221015-081621_MA Remote.jpg

but you can't customize them, nor you can find a word in the support documents that explains how these filters work, what they do or when you should prefer one or other. Personally I don't hear any difference using one or others.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The second thing I don't like is that you have a series of filters to apply
View attachment 237058
but you can't customize them, nor you can find a word in the support documents that explains how these filters work, what they do or when you should usit. Personally I don't hear any difference using one or others.
Those are just the default DAC filters. Most DACs nowadays offer these options as they are simple settings in the chip. There is really nothing to customize (although some DACs can load custom filters), and I would not expect to hear any differences unless one of them is poorly designed.

seedless

Those are just the default DAC filters. Most DACs nowadays offer these options as they are simple settings in the chip. There is really nothing to customize (although some DACs can load custom filters), and I would not expect to hear any differences unless one of them is poorly designed.
Thank you so much. Should I prefer some of those?

Top Bottom