• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 326 84.5%

• Total voters

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like many I don't use headphones or IEM's as often as speakers, but for the price vs performance here I am tempted to try a set of these for occasional usage. Thanks for testing.

JSmith
I am using them (the original) for their great sound quality, with EQ, at the computer (Topping EX5) and at work (Pixel 4a 5G). They aren't the "best" for comfort, but they aren't bad (for me). They are an eartip-fit, where the body doesn't really come into contact with you much at all. This is fine for me for 2-3 hours but if you have to take them out and put them back in a lot, it will get irritating.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious how people use wired 3.5mm IEM these days given almost everything has gone wireless. I have old Sandisk Sansa mp3 players I use on flights, but without noise cancelling, I don't see a good use for IEMs on flights.

I am tempted to buy these, but just don't see a use case.

With 2.5mm balanced cable connected to a Qudelix 5K connected to my phone via LDAC or to my PC via USB (it easier to setup PEQ using the Chrome add-in on a PC)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
How small are the eartips? I've very small ear canals and most in-ears don't fit well.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting that the BK measurements are relatively different considering how close the Gras ones are - especially in the trable but also that 150hz region

graph-15.png

DavidK442

Forum Donor
Another great review; another set of IEM’s added to the collection that I absolutely didn’t need. With this level of quality at such a low price, I couldn’t afford not to buy them. Looking forward to comparing these with the original TruthEar Zeroes which I use daily and love.
Hopefully Moondrop releases the Blessing 3 Dusk soon and Amir tests it as pure perfection. Then, maybe then, I can stop with the IEM madness.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully Moondrop releases the Blessing 3 Dusk soon and Amir tests it as pure perfection. Then, maybe then, I can stop with the IEM madness.
The stock Blessing 3 is already very close to the Red. The B3 Dusk version would be a bassier version, like Red with Bass+ I suppose.

graph (10).png

I ordered both to compare to my B2 Dusk and 7Hz Salnotes Zero. :D

Last edited:

dougi

doug2761

Forum Donor
Good for Crinacle to post an EQ to mimic the sound of Red on the Zero. The Red sound is tempting to me but I found myself consistently preferring the sound of the Zero. It's just a bit more exciting. Maybe my 50+ old ears like the little bit of treble boost.

CedarX

Forum Donor
Bought them. For sure, I’ll compare with the Zero “blue”, but I’ll also try to mix them: I know my left and right ears are different!

julian_hughes

In practice the small differences in FR response between these and the originals look to be less than the differences you might experience by using foam tips vs silicones or a poor fit vs a good fit. I can't see any advantage of these over the original except the obviously better distortion measurements. But are these even audible? I mean at any normal level that is not so loud as to be damaging. I have the originals and even with bass heavy tracks played loud I don't notice any distortion. If I didn't own the originals I might prefer to buy the new version, maybe. But unless you listen at truly astonishing and deafening levels and have no access to EQ is there any advantage? I can't see it.

julian_hughes

Am I the only one who's put off by the flashy looks of most of these newer Chinese IEMs? There are very few of them I'd wear in public.

Plain black or transparent would be the best.
They do look often ridiculous but don't worry about it. If you live in a place with more than a few thousand others then nobody cares how you look o_O Sorry, but they don't. Walk down any city street with different coloured IEMs and see how much notice anyone takes. None. Obviously if you're wearing a Rolex people will notice that and follow you and rob you but IEMs? Nope. Nobody cares.

julian_hughes

I really like the look of the Kato, the shell and the cable. The FR is only okish, but still a classic IEM.
I have the Kato and hardly use it. Yes it looks nice. It sounds very good (a little too much in that 200 - 400 Hz range, so a bit fat but that is being fussy) but it has a very angular design. Are your ears angular and full of tiny hard edges? No, me neither. So it's not a brilliant fit and the design is really about marketing, not wearing and listening. And these are large, thick earphones with a short nozzle and shallow fit. Isolation is actually rather poor for an IEM.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I the only one who's put off by the flashy looks of most of these newer Chinese IEMs? There are very few of them I'd wear in public.

Some of us wouldn't be seen dead wearing headphones or these little earphones at all in public. Not into isolating myself from my surroundings when out and about.

I see complete idiots wearing headphones whilst driving cars. Should be a jail able offense.

Fine for people regularly commuting or flying I guess.

oversky

Sep 14, 2022 TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero
May 20, 2023 Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED
It only takes 9 months for a new generation with notable improvement.

Aynsley

Sep 14, 2022 TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero
May 20, 2023 Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED
It only takes 9 months for a new generation with notable improvement.
I haven't been following the RED Project hype. If Crinacle has been trying out his RED tuning at audio shows, and then making adjustments, it does sound as if the RED concept started soon after release of the 'Blue'. Maybe simultaneously? I find it impossible to get my head around the speed and direction of budget IEM marketing.

xaxxon

Some of us wouldn't be seen dead wearing headphones or these little earphones at all in public. Not into isolating myself from my surroundings when out and about.

I see complete idiots wearing headphones whilst driving cars. Should be a jail able offense.

Fine for people regularly commuting or flying I guess.

>Should be a jail able offense.

No more than having your stereo loud. Or, heaven forbid, driving while deaf.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Good for Crinacle to post an EQ to mimic the sound of Red on the Zero. The Red sound is tempting to me but I found myself consistently preferring the sound of the Zero. It's just a bit more exciting. Maybe my 50+ old ears like the little bit of treble boost.
Do you have a link for that eq post please? (or do you mean you would like him to do one?)

jae

Major Contributor
I own 2 x 7Hz Salnotes Zero and still I ordered the Red. :D
I don't care too much for IEMs although I have tried a bunch. As of last week all I owned were ER2SE which I use for at-home audiometric/hearing tests on myself and very rarely when traveling. I made a nice EQ for them based on in-ear measurements from a probe-tube microphone and with the accurate correction, they serve me well. But I don't find them particularly comfortable to wear for long or even moderate periods of time- they are rarely in my ears for more than 20-30 minutes at a time for this reason.

I am getting back into composing/playing and wanted a solution to play my custom wing bass privately while on the move so I purchased both Salnotes 7hz Zero and Tangzu Wan'er, each were $20 USD with next day shipping from Amazon. I was anticipating buying the Truthear Red but I didn't want to wait- just my luck it launched just a few days later. I was quite surprised to be satisfied with them and they are definitely more comfortable to wear than ER2SE. Wan'er has a similar response to 7hz as well, both obviously benefit from EQ but are not offensive without it. Honestly figured I'd for sure be returning one of them but I may very well just keep both. When the Red is on Amazon I may try them as well to see if it offers even more comfort, since it is still reasonably priced. Although I don't expect much difference in tonality. I really wanted to avoid collecting IEMs and soon I may have my 4th in such a short period :facepalm:

And I'm still waiting for a wireless one better than Samsung Buds 2 Pro/Airpods Pro 2...

Top Bottom