• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 326 84.5%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely considering these based on this review. How long is the cable? I'm assuming it's between 3 and 6ft long which isn't going to reach from my DAC/HPA to my desk. I'd need at least 10ft.

Any ASR IEM regular users have a recommendation for an extender cable? Are there any considerations for IEM cables that are different from regular headphones?
Not got it with me but yes it's more 3ft than 10 ft. I'd get an amazon basics or ugreen extension at whatever length you need. No special cable needed. I'm an ideal world you'd know the impedance was below 1 ohm and low crosstalk but not sure you will get those specs from any manuf or retailer

Zim

Forum Donor
Is the comparison using the same set of tips on both red and blue?
Yeah I use the same tips for both. Probably wear and age on the Zero's tips vs. the Red's which are still fresh and new.
It's definitely a different bass profile. Zero peaks at 50 Hz then rolls off. Red doesn't roll off and has a bit more energy below 50. I reckon with a good seal that would translate as more "thump" depending on music genre.
Quite possibly that in combination to the age of the tips.

asrUser

Definitely considering these based on this review. How long is the cable? I'm assuming it's between 3 and 6ft long which isn't going to reach from my DAC/HPA to my desk. I'd need at least 10ft.

Any ASR IEM regular users have a recommendation for an extender cable? Are there any considerations for IEM cables that are different from regular headphones?
I bought several cables from XINHS store on AliExpress and got some of them customized. Just talk to them and they make your cables longer for not much more.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor

Measured the cable on my Blue as 4'-4" (~1.3m)- longer than average for an IEM. So a 6' extension gets you to your 'at least' number.

6 feet is the most common length but Amazon has at least one eight-footer: https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Ruaeoda-Shielded-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B07FQ7755S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=PLP3P8Z9EMQU&keywords=8+foot+headphone+extension&qid=1685796524&sprefix=8+foot+headphone,aps,108&sr=8-3

Unless you buy into 'magic cable' mythology, any decently made cable should work. Nothing different about an extender for an IEM vs one for a full size set. If a vendor tells you otherwise, they are blowing smoke up your a**.

Last edited:

Peter Chuang

I was happy to see nice reduction in distortion:
View attachment 286743

That's incredibly low distortion even at 114 dBSPL! Love it....
View attachment 286744

Hi @amirm ,
The distortion result seems weird. At 80Hz, how can 94db level have higher distortion than 114db? At 114 dbpsl figure, distortion at 80Hz is a hump exceeding 40db that can not be found in THD% figure.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My pair got delivered a few days ago. Only had the chance to listen to them for a longer period today. Actually I had an opinion formed earlier, but thought maybe a longer listening session would be helpful. It did not change my opinion.

If you have the original, blue version and access to EQ, I don't see any point of buying these earphones as an average audio consumer. Better get yourself some tasty lunch.

If I did not have the Blue or the Red, I'd get the Red, and see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi amirm,
The distortion result seems weird. At 80Hz, how can 94db level have higher distortion than 114db? At 114 dbpsl figure, distortion at 80Hz is a hump exceeding 40db that can not be found in THD% figure.
External noise probably.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Cant say I spent much time with stock to form that impression as I couldnt keep the seal. My guess would be as the 155 go deeper in, the response likely would change but can't offer any input as to what freqs or by how much.

Aside for the more secure fit, do the CP155 sound the same as stock? Thanks for you impressions.
I didn't notice much if any difference apart from the Spinfits staying on the IEM's nozzle rather than in my ear.

I don't know where one would find replacement OEM tips so it is good to know about the Spinfits. Thanks to whoever originally shared that,

AudioKC

This is a review, listening tests and detailed measurements of Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $55

I own blue one from day one. I heard opinions that red one has a better bass and mid range balance.

I bought Truthear Hexa which I believe superior iem to Zero from Crinacle, but to be fair, it’s more expensive. If you love blue version, give it a try for Hexa IEM from Truthear

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Hi @amirm ,
Yeah, that 'does not compute'

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm ,
It is possible that the IEM moved a bit either as a result of excitation or me touching something post 94 dBSPL. I don't understand your second sentence. The only measurement in the absolute level is at 94, not 114:

index.php

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just received my Red and do believe the bass to to have better definition and less bloom than my blue. The mid range seems the same, and the treble is definitely tamed. They are a bit darker than I expected but nonetheless an excellent listen. They do seem to match the red/blue comparison graph I posted previously. Overall, I am satisfied with the red and they compliment the blue very nicely.

FWIW, the comparison was made using the same tips, cable, and Onkyo DP-X1 DAP volume level matched using the same tracks, all settings identical and no EQ.
When you say volume level matched do you mean you used the same volume setting on the DAP for each iem or you adjusted between blue and red to account for different sensitivity (think the red is slightly harder to drive)?

Black98

Actually- noticed one difference on the shells- the vent between the 2 pin socket and the L/R marker is a small hole on the Zero , its a 3mm slot on the Red.
You observed very carefully because. in fact, the driver itself is different from BLUE ZERO, and the resonant frequency is different. Therefore, I adjusted the frequency divider. In addition, the sound resistance rate of damping is also slightly different, so it is necessary to adjust the size of some pores to adapt to this change.

Venrix

I just received my Red and do believe the bass to to have better definition and less bloom than my blue. The mid range seems the same, and the treble is definitely tamed. They are a bit darker than I expected but nonetheless an excellent listen. They do seem to match the red/blue comparison graph I posted previously. Overall, I am satisfied with the red and they compliment the blue very nicely.

FWIW, the comparison was made using the same tips, cable, and Onkyo DP-X1 DAP volume level matched using the same tracks, all settings identical and no EQ.
Have you tried the Red EQ on the Blue?
How accurate the sound is compared to the real Red? Curious to know since I already have the Blue and I really love the Red tuning on it.

1686029030891.png

This looks like a cheaper alternative to iems like the Moondrop Starfield/Aria with a lower fc for the low shelf. That helps to clear up the sound.

icey.seri

Just got this, and it sounded crushed at first, like the dynamic range was very limited. I fixed it with a +4db 10KHz high shelf at 0.71q, otherwise, it sounded genuinely unacceptable. Which is strange, because, graphs suggest that it has more air frequencies than my current IEM, the seeaudio Yume 2.

markanini

Major Contributor
Just got this, and it sounded crushed at first, like the dynamic range was very limited. I fixed it with a +4db 10KHz high shelf at 0.71q, otherwise, it sounded genuinely unacceptable. Which is strange, because, graphs suggest that it has more air frequencies than my current IEM, the seeaudio Yume 2.
Which tips are you using?

GaryH

Major Contributor
Which graphs? As measured on the B&K 5128 with its (purportedly) more accurate upper treble response, the Zero Red has poor treble extension (which contributes to perceived 'detail'), worse than $10 earphones:

graph-82.png

As well as worse than the original Zero:

graph-83.png

Top Bottom