• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 10.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 326 84.2%

• Total voters

asrUser

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
I don't quite understand all those comments regarding a preferred curve...

Musical instruments were played, recorded and then played back.

It goes without saying that you very well might like a curve or another, and that simply means that you don't really know how they SHOULD sound.

As everyone has a smartphone and the capability to go recording anything, it turns as easy as just doing it: record whatever reaches your ears and them confront the curve. Does it reflect reality ?

I remember the clever words ftom Amir when testing the Zero: "You want this IEM so you know what correct tonality is, when you listen with other transducers such as headphones and speakers. Think of it as the tuning fork that a musician uses! This IEM needs to be in your arsenal."

So first things first.
Then do equalize as you want and enjoy your curve.

markanini

Major Contributor
According to Truthear marketing material, Zero Red is tuned to Crinacles personal preference curve. I'd assume this is why people are commenting on it.
35f8a20978f965ff650137bc385d15fa.jpg

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't quite understand all those comments regarding a preferred curve...

Musical instruments were played, recorded and then played back.

It goes without saying that you very well might like a curve or another, and that simply means that you don't really know how they SHOULD sound.

As everyone has a smartphone and the capability to go recording anything, it turns as easy as just doing it: record whatever reaches your ears and them confront the curve. Does it reflect reality ?

I remember the clever words ftom Amir when testing the Zero: "You want this IEM so you know what correct tonality is, when you listen with other transducers such as headphones and speakers. Think of it as the tuning fork that a musician uses! This IEM needs to be in your arsenal."

So first things first.
Then do equalize as you want and enjoy your curve.
I don't think you can EQ a headphone or IEM based on you "knowing" what an instrument sounds like or recording stuff on a smartphone (no idea how that last mechanism would work). You can't exactly know how a particular instrument for example is supposed to sound on a track because the artists & engineers will influence how it sounds and how it's laid down on the track (it's not the same every time), there can't be any references here for you to latch onto that will enable you to EQ a headphone. The best you can do is to EQ based on measurements (which theoretically gets you closer to an Anechoic Flat approximation (sort of)), and then to tweak the bass or overall tonality until it sounds balanced in spectrally dense music.

markanini

Major Contributor
The best you can do is to EQ based on measurements (which theoretically gets you closer to an Anechoic Flat approximation (sort of)), and then to tweak the bass or overall tonality until it sounds balanced in spectrally dense music.
It's valid to follow that up with personal eq across the whole frequency range. Personal fit and unit variations is a big a factor. And, you will notice through personal EQ that mastering is more consistent than you thought.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's valid to follow that up with personal eq across the whole frequency range. Personal fit and unit variations is a big a factor. And, you will notice through personal EQ that mastering is more consistent than you thought.
Bass EQ that I mentioned fits into that Personal EQ you mentioned, as you might have more bass leakage with your headphone due to anatomy/fit and also just for preference. Some EQ's I've done for my headphones in the past I've also EQ'd broad specific areas after listening to various reference tracks of mine, for instance a broad peak filter around 7kHz for one of my headphones and also a similar one at around 1.5kHz to reduce shoutiness, but it's harder to use those specific broad filters as it's very subjective when you're getting that specific. In reality, I've found it's far easier to tune bass level to balance in with the rest, and the 105Hz Q0.71 Low Shelf that Oratory uses is very useful in that regard as it targets the bass without introducing muddiness. Another really good way I've found is to also tweak overall tonality using a Linear Tone Control through the whole frequency range (think a seesaw straight line motion hinged at 1kHz) - you can hit an almost perfect linear tone control by using the 3 following parametric High Shelf Filters with Q0.5: 63Hz/632Hz/6324Hz, you set the same dB level for each of those (positive or negative depending on if you want to brighten or darken the headphone respectively), only 0.1 or 0.2dB increments required on those to notice changes in the tonality.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Bass EQ that I mentioned fits into that Personal EQ you mentioned, as you might have more bass leakage with your headphone due to anatomy/fit and also just for preference. Some EQ's I've done for my headphones in the past I've also EQ'd broad specific areas after listening to various reference tracks of mine, for instance a broad peak filter around 7kHz for one of my headphones and also a similar one at around 1.5kHz to reduce shoutiness, but it's harder to use those specific broad filters as it's very subjective when you're getting that specific. In reality, I've found it's far easier to tune bass level to balance in with the rest, and the 105Hz Q0.71 Low Shelf that Oratory uses is very useful in that regard as it targets the bass without introducing muddiness. Another really good way I've found is to also tweak overall tonality using a Linear Tone Control through the whole frequency range (think a seesaw straight line motion hinged at 1kHz) - you can hit an almost perfect linear tone control by using the 3 following parametric High Shelf Filters with Q0.5: 63Hz/632Hz/6324Hz, you set the same dB level for each of those (positive or negative depending on if you want to brighten or darken the headphone respectively), only 0.1 or 0.2dB increments required on those to notice changes in the tonality.
The amount of bands I personally use varies, sometimes a single broad one is sufficient. That doesn't have to make it a low effort, because the are numerous uncertainties affecting individual eardrum response. That disputes certain knowledge that more bands makes the FR more linear, at it's final destination. (For the same reason I don't obsess over FR details, or do sine sweeps, only if I hear something wrong to begin when listening to actual music content) On a less linear set, or having a non-typical head and ear shape more bands may be needed. Either way you can always start with a single broad adjustment, indeed addressing bass first, and add further bands, if needed. I'd advise trying different cutoff frequencies than 105Hz, because the effect of FR inconsistency and/or small leakage can vary substantially, per measurements on headphonetestlab and Rtings.

This also makes me think of psychoacoustics. Assume a scenario where you "only adjusted the bass". The larger result, after volume matching, is more than that. It's also adjusting the treble down. That's because the spectrum of a stereo mix is filled with harmonics and therefore highly interactive.

Last edited:

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This may have been posted earlier in the thread and/or referenced by other folks and if so my apologies, but here is the recent interview of Sean Olive by Crinacle discussing this. It's only 7 minutes, but within Dr. Olive seems a bit surprised by the amount of slope increase vs. OE and concedes the criticism and a suggestion on how to further the research have merit.

It's also very interesting that Dr. Olive mentions very early on that FR response doesn't describe everything important about a headphone and the two things he mentions as not being described by FR are distortion and spatial effects. I don't think I could count the number of times here at ASR, in reviews and member posts, and elsewhere that spatial effects are attributed to FR. So that really stood out for me.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there any convolution filters (WAV files) available?
You can find convolution filters on the AutoEQ GitHub: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle

Alternatively you can use https://autoeq.app/ to create your own convolution filter with the target response and settings that you'd like.

Just keep in mind that the measurement on AutoEQ was done on a B&K 4620 and is therefore fundamentally incompatible with the Harman target. However, you could upload a 60318-4 measurement of the Zero:RED to https://autoeq.app/ and EQ that to Harman (though I wouldn't recommend it, personally).

MayaTlab

It's also very interesting that Dr. Olive mentions very early on that FR response doesn't describe everything important about a headphone and the two things he mentions as not being described by FR are distortion and spatial effects. I don't think I could count the number of times here at ASR, in reviews and member posts, and elsewhere that spatial effects are attributed to FR. So that really stood out for me.

I'm actually surprised to see the notion of "spatial effect" that often brought forward on ASR, when unlike FR and non-linear distortion it has yet to receive any operational definition(s) in the context of stereo recordings played as is through headphones. It's a bit at odd with the site's mission to embrace that notion, and whether it's from Amir, Sean Olive or anyone else I'd actually like to know what they mean by that term.

In the context of, for example, object-based formats and binaural renderers, it's probably quite a bit easier to provide an operational definition for it and to actually quantify the system's performance, but for stereo recordings played as is through headphones ? *doubt*

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Istn't it the best case to have an IEM already that close to the target that it doesn't need EQ?
It is and you have it in both iterations of this IEM. My comment was that if you need fine tuning, then use EQ in your player, etc. where you do critical listening. But otherwise, the IEM is more than good enough for use as is.

MacClintock

I'm actually surprised to see the notion of "spatial effect" that often brought forward on ASR, when unlike FR and non-linear distortion it has yet to receive any operational definition(s) in the context of stereo recordings played as is through headphones. It's a bit at odd with the site's mission to embrace that notion, and whether it's from Amir, Sean Olive or anyone else I'd actually like to know what they mean by that term.

In the context of, for example, object-based formats and binaural renderers, it's probably quite a bit easier to provide an operational definition for it and to actually quantify the system's performance, but for stereo recordings played as is through headphones ? *doubt*
So because "spatial effects" currently cannot be defined very well or correlated with other measured quantities, they should be ignored and not talked about? In speakers as well? Strange argument.

Last edited:

asrUser

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I ordered the minute after reading the test, but not understood it was not available (it was not indicated on the Shenzhen audio website). And now I am waiting and I hate that. I have a bad feeling, I don't like too much ordering something not in stock without the notification indicating it is not in stock.

lazarian

I got shipment notification on Fri 26th. I did not tip. Moral of the story: never tip.
Can I ask when you put your order in? I put it in within a few hours of it going up, assume most of the people with notifications were within first hour or two.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Can I ask when you put your order in? I put it in within a few hours of it going up, assume most of the people with notifications were within first hour or two.
I ordered mine around 2:30pm on the 19th on Amazon. Mine's currently on a plane heading out of China.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May 20, 2023 01:15AM local time according to Shenzenaudio records.

Top Bottom