• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 493 82.2%

• Total voters

SSA

If you are genuinely thinking of another and like more bass, consider getting the QKZ HBB Khan for variety, it's basically the exact same IEM tweaked with slightly more bass and slightly less in the 1-3kHz region. And for $10 less. I have both, the Khan is very good.

View attachment 268143
I've had the truthear since Amir's review and recently purchased the Khan as was intrigued by the same sound signature and more bass... I was very disappointed with the Khan and returned them. To my ear, lots of distortion, perhaps similar sub bass but far less mid range bass.

Blorg

@SSA could be unit variation, or a fit issue, the Khan has more bass. Maybe you perceive less mid-bass because there's more sub-bass relatively?
1678256166760.png

Could be unit variation either though, my Zero has quite a lot of variation even between left and right, and has much less bass on the left than most units. Certainly with mine, the Khan has a lot more both sub bass and mid bass, and I don't get distortion, it sounds even more coherent to me. But I think I maybe have a relatively bad Zero.

1678256405943.png

Maiky76

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169
  • https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-6#post-992119
  • NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
  • Occluding IE devices generally must have very good fitting/seal in the user's ear canal for best performance.
    please spend a few minutes to pick up the best ear tip... Be sure to perform this step otherwise the FR/Score/EQ presented here are just worthless.
  • 1. more bass = better seal
    2. More isolation from the outside world = better fit
    3. Comfort

Good L/R match.

Might not need an EQ, nevertheless, I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 80.9%
Score with EQ: 96.2%

Code:
TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
September142022-145558

Preamp: -3.9 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20.00 Hz Gain 3.88 dB Q 0.90
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 81.44 Hz Gain -2.05 dB Q 1.46
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1205.00 Hz Gain -1.23 dB Q 2.55
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2175.35 Hz Gain -1.65 dB Q 0.85
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4795.73 Hz Gain -2.97 dB Q 2.97
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6699.00 Hz Gain 2.57 dB Q 2.64
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 13229.75 Hz Gain -4.98 dB Q 5.00

View attachment 230828
@Lieglein

Here is the "nitpicking" version of the EQ i.e. probably not necessary and sample/measurement dependent...

Score 98.2%

Code:
TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
March082023-152519

Preamp: -3.8 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 19.75 Hz Gain 3.88 dB Q 0.88
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 84.69 Hz Gain -2.19 dB Q 1.25
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 145.05 Hz Gain 1.37 dB Q 4.28
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 314.17 Hz Gain -0.85 dB Q 3.26
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1220.13 Hz Gain -1.23 dB Q 2.35
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2264.62 Hz Gain -1.69 dB Q 0.80
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4832.48 Hz Gain -2.79 dB Q 2.97
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 6552.14 Hz Gain 2.66 dB Q 3.43
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 13182.07 Hz Gain -5.51 dB Q 5.50
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 10011.16 Hz Gain 1.48 dB Q 5.31
TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero Full EQ.png

And for those willing to give it a try an EQ for the Knowles target:
More info here:

This can be compared with the Harman target Score EQ in the original post. The scores are not comparable though.
Please report your impressions here...

Code:
TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero Knowles EQ
March082023-153645

Preamp: -9 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 21.16 Hz Gain 3.93 dB Q 1.10
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 81.12 Hz Gain -2.05 dB Q 1.65
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1215.98 Hz Gain -1.03 dB Q 2.45
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2427.34 Hz Gain -1.84 dB Q 0.66
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4926.49 Hz Gain -2.81 dB Q 2.48
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6399.38 Hz Gain 2.52 dB Q 3.54
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 12729.23 Hz Gain -2.19 dB Q 6.44
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 14973.86 Hz Gain 9.36 dB Q 1.04

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero Knowles EQ.png

Attachments

• TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    593 bytes · Views: 79
  • TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero Knowles EQ.txt
    475 bytes · Views: 75

markanini

Major Contributor
This LG USB set challenges TCZ in Harman LI IE compliance.

image.png

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This LG USB set challenges TCZ in Harman LI IE compliance.

image.png
Yes that response does look nice, but not really an apples to apples comparison, given USB vs purely passive. Then again, even cheaper. Retail price in the video was 23000 Won, about A$25! Not sure you can purchase it anymore. Model in English appears to be LG EAB65817201.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The point is there isn't really a defined "right" for insertion depth. Or a "right" for tip choice. There's getting a seal, which is basic, but seal vs no seal is a dramatic difference with the bass dropping off completely. This is the first basic step with IEM fit, you need to get a seal and that one is sort of a "right" or "wrong".

The other stuff though isn't right or wrong, it's different. What insertion depth you get is dependent on tip choice and size and how far you push them in, but it also depends on your individual ear anatomy, give the same IEM and tip to someone else and they'll get a different insertion depth relative to their eardrum. This isn't right or wrong, it's just how it works. But this also means that the sound is going to be different for different people as well, even before unit variation which is often substantial with cheap IEMs and is with this one (I have substantial variation between my left and right never mind different batches).

If you look at that Oluv video, there was a huge range in terms of his viewers insertion resonances. From below 5,200Hz to above 8,500Hz, even more of a range than I show in my chart for the Zero. All of those people are going to hear this quite differently. It's also worth noting that most people have an insertion resonance very different from the 8kHz standardized on by most measurebators. Amir's GRAS45 rig dampens the insertion resonance, this doesn't mean it's not there, it is a feature of the human ear, but his rig deliberately removes it. Not sure what he's doing to standardize insertion depth. But this is just something to consider when looking at a single FR graph, it's probably not actually representative of what most people hear. So someone saying "the lower mids are very laid back and the upper mids too pronounced ... after 20 minutes of listening my ears get tired" isn't necessarily "wrong", they may be hearing them differently to you. For that matter even Amir's own measurement has them as much as ~3.5dB over Harman in the upper mids, and Harman is already too much in the upper mids for a lot of people.

View attachment 268986
I have a tool I think I can use to get the in ear resonance correct. Since I have a Smyth A16 Realizer, it has something to EQ phones called manLOUD which is an equal subjective loudness tuning and meassurement at various frequency bands. I think if I get the Zeroes I could do the manLOUD, note the correction I need to get them to display equal loudness at each fr band on the A16 and then use that as my correction curve with any parametic EQ I employ for OTG like Toneboosters. Think it ought to work.

Ultimately, all of these IEMs are going to sound different to every person because of the ear canal resonance, and that is why all these tunings are IMHO just approximations of the individual's required tuning. Using a tool to do an equal loudness EQ will, I think, make any of these IEMs sound much closer to the ideal individualized tuning.

After that, it becomes a question of whether the set is efficient enough to play with sufficient volume with whatever amp is available to drive them (most likely a phone), and also whether the set's distortion level is low enough to enable the required corrections.

I think the Truthears look promising on the distortion, but it looks like they need a fair bit of power to make them sound their best. Perhaps that's one of the reasons who some reviewers are finding them to be less than ideal.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a tool I think I can use to get the in ear resonance correct. Since I have a Smyth A16 Realizer, it has something to EQ phones called manLOUD which is an equal subjective loudness tuning and meassurement at various frequency bands. I think if I get the Zeroes I could do the manLOUD, note the correction I need to get them to display equal loudness at each fr band on the A16 and then use that as my correction curve with any parametic EQ I employ for OTG like Toneboosters. Think it ought to work.

Ultimately, all of these IEMs are going to sound different to every person because of the ear canal resonance, and that is why all these tunings are IMHO just approximations of the individual's required tuning. Using a tool to do an equal loudness EQ will, I think, make any of these IEMs sound much closer to the ideal individualized tuning.

After that, it becomes a question of whether the set is efficient enough to play with sufficient volume with whatever amp is available to drive them (most likely a phone), and also whether the set's distortion level is low enough to enable the required corrections.

I think the Truthears look promising on the distortion, but it looks like they need a fair bit of power to make them sound their best. Perhaps that's one of the reasons who some reviewers are finding them to be less than ideal.
I don't really agree with Equal Loudness EQ. For a start you're not supposed to hear all frequencies to the same loudness, due to Fletcher Munson, so the A16 would have to take that into account. Also Equal Loudness will EQ out your natural hearing deficits you have in some areas, which is probably useful if you need a hearing aid, but otherwise I don't agree with EQ'ing out natural hearing degredation or born individual hearing quirks (as long as it's not severe) - because we get used to what "normal" sounds like with our non-perfect ears, so straying from that would be unnatural sounding.

pallatin

I've been using this Truthear x Crinacle Zero and loving it very much since I got it months ago. However, now I'm using the Truthear Hexa and enjoying it every little bit as well! Hexa is a little more 'neutral' to me, sounds 'crisper'. The Zero is perfect when I want a little more bass out my music, it's more 'fun' if you will. Neither is better than the other, both are very nice, they're just different flavors of great IEMs. Not redundant at all, you could have both and use them for different kinds of music.

ZEROvHEXA.png

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
I've been using this Truthear x Crinacle Zero and loving it very much since I got it months ago. However, now I'm using the Truthear Hexa and enjoying it every little bit as well! Hexa is a little more 'neutral' to me, sounds 'crisper'. The Zero is perfect when I want a little more bass out my music, it's more 'fun' if you will. Neither is better than the other, both are very nice, they're just different flavors of great IEMs. Not redundant, you can have both and use them for different kinds of music.

View attachment 271249
It seems this set has garnered some regard past its hype period, for a smoothly extended treble if I understand correctly. I wonder if the treble characteristic would hold up if the the lows and mids were EQ'd to an Aria type response that I prefer.

Rotiv

My take on the Truthear Zero IEM

View attachment 234249

The packaging is nice. And a leather pouch? I feel like I spent more than $50, that's for sure.

Plenty of tips are provided, and most people should be able to find one that works for them. The large silicone tips (small bore) provide a great seal and comfort for me. I forget I have them on. However, the foam tips are better absorbers of the environment, naturally.

If you're going on a flight, definitely use foam tips.

Safety note: although the foam tips may attenuate the background by some 20-30 dB, the drone of a flight will still cause you to use higher than normal volume levels. You'll find a level that sounds normal to you (and you'll notice your volume slider is higher than normal), but your ears are still getting an elevated total SPL. Don't crank it up to compensate. Just put up with the noise floor and be kind to your hearing.

I find these to be comfortable. They are lightweight and unobtrusive. I like the cable - light, flexible, and seemingly no microphonics thanks to the tight braid. I do wish I could rotate it at the connector to get it to sit closer to my head, but that can't be done with this connector type, which has two pins for polarity.

The design is attractive, with a purple or blue color depending on the angle the light hits them.

Now, on to the sound.

My neutral reference:

Buchardt S400 MKII
Rythmik FV15HP x2, placement-optimized & equalized.

Out of the box these are too bright for me. I kind of expected that based on my current gear and looking at the measurements for comparison. I agree with others on this. The upper midrange runs away with it, and the bass contour is not to my liking. However, these have tons of potential...

Slaying the shouty dragon

The following EQ was developed with the small-bore silicone tips. I listened to the foam tips afterward and they definitely push the balance further toward the bass and reduce the highs. If using foam, I would take 1 dB or so off of both bass filters below. Of course this is the most subjective part, so do experiment with this.

I spent 3 hours going back and forth between Crinacle's EQ tool, downloading to Wavelet, and listening to music. My reference tracks are full-range movie soundtracks and spectrally-dense, well-recorded rock and pop music. All frequencies are represented in the mix. This EQ will fix the bass balance by reducing the midbass emphasis and extending the bass response to 20 Hz. I didn't take it blindly to the Harman target – since the highs were altered, you can't know what the overall balance will sound like unless you listen. It's all relative. The bass is much cleaner sounding. Most importantly, this EQ will eliminate the shoutiness of the upper midrange. It will sound balanced, and the headphones will disappear. If you have never experienced the bass that well-integrated subs can provide, here is your chance to get a preview.

You know you're close on the EQ when the goosebumps come...

Here is the input I used on the Crinacle site to generate the EQ:

Code:
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 2.4 dB Q 2.200
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain -3.6 dB Q 0.800
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 100 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 175 Hz Gain 1.8 dB Q 1.800
Filter 5: OFF PK Fc 1100 Hz Gain -0.6 dB Q 2.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2750 Hz Gain -3.2 dB Q 1.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -5.5 dB Q 2.000
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain -4.2 dB Q 5.000

Saved to a .txt file, this can be loaded directly into Equalizer APO/PEACE.

View attachment 243451

For mobile use I exported using the Wavelet option. You can download that below on this post.

Download the attached file Truthear x crinacle Zero EX7 to your Android device. In Wavelet, choose AutoEq and Import the file from storage.

The other file, Truthear x crinacle Zero Filters EX7 is for Equalizer APO or other programs.

This is as close to my $10k system as I've heard. And I can take it with me! Having a mobile reference is outstanding. Especially for these prices.

If you can't use Wavelet but have a 10-band PEQ, you can still implement the filters as close as you can. It will be less surgical but it will get the job done.

This was updated to my latest and probably last.
Thank you very much!!! My favoritos EQ
I prefer to listen through my tablet or phone with this EQ than with the dac and amp (Topping) without EQ. I just bought a dongle, will see.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
I'm sharing my impressions of Moondrop Quarks DSP here, as it's broadly in the same tuning style as Truthear Zero. The issue is the pressurization due to a lack of a front vent. You can nudge the IEM and the FR changes drastically. Combined with the awkward fit that easily looses seal or even falls out of my ears. A deeper insertion kills the upper mids OTOH. Needless to say I don't recommend it.

Blorg

I'm sharing my impressions of Moondrop Quarks DSP here, as it's broadly in the same tuning style as Truthear Zero. The issue is the pressurization due to a lack of a front vent. You can nudge the IEM and the FR changes drastically. Combined with the awkward fit that easily looses seal or even falls out of my ears. A deeper insertion kills the upper mids OTOH. Needless to say I don't recommend it.
This is an issue that affects all unvented IEMs, like it affects almost all all-BA IEMs (64 Audio are a notable exception, in that they have a configurable venting system) it's an issue to be aware of and a negative for fit but I don't think it's inherently disqualifying. The positive side of it is you get better isolation.

In general terms the trick to dealing with it is to break the seal just slightly after you have them in where you want them. This lets the pressure equalize and the sound will return to "normal". This is easier to do on IEMs with large shells as you can grab the body of the IEM and lever it to just break the seal slightly. It's the same general principle with the Quarks though, and I can get them "normal" without the pressure.

markanini

Major Contributor
The positive side of it is you get better isolation.
I considered this a advantage and made a effort to work around the issues becuase of that, but it was too much of an inconvenience, nudging it in and out 3-4 times after initial insertion, just to get a normal FR, was too much for me.

oppie

I've been using this Truthear x Crinacle Zero and loving it very much since I got it months ago. However, now I'm using the Truthear Hexa and enjoying it every little bit as well! Hexa is a little more 'neutral' to me, sounds 'crisper'. The Zero is perfect when I want a little more bass out my music, it's more 'fun' if you will. Neither is better than the other, both are very nice, they're just different flavors of great IEMs. Not redundant at all, you could have both and use them for different kinds of music.

View attachment 271249
Im in a similar position, was enjoying the zero the past few months and decided to see what the hexa would offer, however I recieved a pair with a bad connection on the right side. From what I did hear you give up a harman like bass response of the zero for more treble detail in the hexa, both are enjoyable but I'd probably pick the hexa as the smaller shell is more comfortable.

Moonhead

Anyone compared hexa with moondrop blessing and the lot?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone compared hexa with moondrop blessing and the lot?
Yes, here.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx mate.
seems like blessing2 is still the one to beat!
Be careful when discussing/ buying whether you mean the Blessing 2 or the B2 Dusk- same shape, different sound. The one linked in that thread above is the Dusk. More bass (and more Harman compliant) on the Dusk- seems to be preferred too.

Top Bottom