• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 493 82.2%

• Total voters

posvibes

Well he had me at " it has a decent leather case that is pretty feminine actually".

Interesting to watch a psycho-psychoacoustic episode in real time, there must be a name for that kind of condition? I am reminded of an episode of Fawlty Towers when a psychiatrist observing Basil's bizarre behaviour in an aside remarks that it was "worthy of a paper, if not a conference".

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well he had me at " it has a decent leather case that is pretty feminine actually".

Interesting to watch a psycho-psychoacoustic episode in real time, there must be a name for that kind of condition? I am reminded of an episode of Fawlty Towers when a psychiatrist observing Basil's bizarre behaviour in an aside remarks that it was "worthy of a paper, if not a conference".

My main takeaway is that this is a man who has not spent much time listening to actual dogshit.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My main takeaway is that this is a man who has not spent much time listening to actual dogshit.
I finally got a pair of these as Amazon.au had local stock, which was nice. I only have one other pair of IEMs, the original Etymotic ER2P balanced armatures. They certainly sound different from those! Much easier to get sufficient bass with these and the cable beats the dreadfully microphonic one on the Etys.

posvibes

crinacle may need security, I'm not sure if this is stalking or a crush. The tuber is the kind of guy who would seriously punch a girl in the arm as his way of saying I like you.

Slander and libel in a nomans land like YouTube can annihilate reputations. And so it goes....

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I think these image like crazy, I get less in the head sensation than with my HD6xx's for instance.

Not sure if I agree 100% (yet) but after using Chromatischism's EQ from post #1403 in this thread, I was shocked at how wide a soundstage these present versus my HD6xx when compared to the other IEMs I have now.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Almost expected him to say the case was "really gay" at that point. :facepalm:

dougi

raif71

Major Contributor
He could have gotten a zero dud pair. As far as I'm concerned the zero that I have is a hero.

posvibes

Not sure if I agree 100% (yet)
If you have Spotify, check out a track called "Strive" by Amber Rubarth. I came across it when listening to Chesky Records list.

For me with the IEM's I get a lot of outside the head and mainly towards the back and above the crown as well as down below ear level between the lobes and shoulders. I get this with headphones as well but not as dramatically as with these. The really middle of my head sensation I get but even then it is more ambient than that if there is a kind of suffusion of deep bass.

But I don't know how to explain it but my head seems to disappear and I feel as if I am in the midst of the music, this goes to the fact that there is no headband or cups or weight I think as you do tend to get with headphones.

Blorg

84% think they are great, 11% think they are fine, 95%, that is an overwhelming number from people who appreciate objectively good sound. So, you are more than likely to recover from whatever mistake you made that lead you to not getting a great experience with those.
And how many of those voting have actually even heard them? Most of the votes on ASR reviews are done by people based on reading the review and looking at the graphs, not because they actually own the things. Many commenters here think actually owning or listening to the thing is unnecessary in any case, use of their fallible earthly senses would only possibly compromise their objectivity.

Some of this stuff may be good, some of it may be terrible. But either way, most voting haven't heard it.

I don't think this is a bad IEM, either, although it does seem to have some QC, unit variance and channel imbalance issues. I have this opinion owning the thing, I don't vote on ASR polls on stuff I haven't heard. (Voting "fine", disregarding price, if I was considering the price, I think it could be "great".) I think I'm an outlier here, many will argue blue in the face in the threads about stuff they are proud to admin they have never heard. You cannot make any logical conclusion from the votes on an ASR review because on most, the voters haven't heard the item and they are just expressing their agreement with the review.

While I do think it is a very good IEM, and especially for $50, I'm not totally on board with the circlejerk that IEMs are now dead as the Truthear Zero is "objectively" better than anything else in existence. Someone isn't "mistaken" if they don't particularly like these, they just don't particularly like them. Several people find them shouty or bright. Maybe they are shouty? Having said that, it is a good idea with something new, particularly if it has a signature you are not used to, to try to acclimate to it over a period of time, you may find you come to like it. So good point there.

Interesting comment, I have a question, not just about those particular IEM, in this thread, all IEM in general. If I understand your post, you are saying that insertion depth will affect the frequency we hear, much more than the IEM actual FR, if this is the case, is it just not easy for every one to insert those IEM, just so they sound great to them.
Insertion depth does significantly affect frequency response, primarily in relation to the insertion resonance, which is conventionally placed at 8kHz on graphs but on most people, with most IEMs, is probably lower than this, mine is usually around 7.5kHz with most IEMs, but it can go to 9kHz or higher with IEMs I specifically try to get a deep insertion with (like the Sony IER-Z1R). Many have much lower than this, Oluv of Oluv's Gadgets for example did a poll of his viewers where most got between 6-7kHz. Deeper insertion will move the resonance higher. This is one of the big advantages of Etymotic, their very deep insertion pushes this very far up (and also reduces it) where to many people it will be less apparent.

It does make a big difference to IEM tonality. You can find your own resonance using a tone generator, just sweep up and find the peak around 6-8kHz, it should be pretty apparent. Then when you have found the peak, with the tone still playing, push your IEM in a bit- and you'll find the tone immediately gets much quieter. If you hold it in that position, you can sweep up and you'll find your insertion resonance has moved higher. This is very easy to test for yourself without any measuring rig because it's not a remotely subtle effect, it's very obvious.

This is my Zero (Right, Moondrop Spring Tips) with a "standard" 8kHz insertion and also a shallow and deep insertion, you can see how the insertion resonance moves and the effect it has on the rest of the FR. Medium on 8kHz and deep, a different (large) tip for the shallow insertion, so as to still get a seal.

No alignment:
1677824029196.png

Aligned at 500Hz:
1677824110686.png

H

Cote Dazur

And how many of those voting have actually even heard them?
Good question, nobody really knows, but in the case of those, since they are relatively affordable, the proportion of people who actually have purchased the Zero is probably higher than most, so around 95% is indicative of a very high level of satisfaction.
Insertion depth does significantly affect frequency response, primarily in relation to the insertion resonance,
Thank you for the precision’s about the resonance, IEM as opposed to headphones, but in common with speakers are very susceptible to proper placement. When new to IEM it is a little disconcerting, but as experience builds up, placing the IEM right with the good tips for our ears become easier.
I will be eternally grateful to @amirm to enticed me, with this review, to give IEM a real shot at active listening with IEMs. Before, I only considered them as a practical but somehow limited option to listen to music. Since the Zero, they are getting a fair share of my listening time.

Cars-N-Cans

Good question, nobody really knows, but in the case of those, since they are relatively affordable, the proportion of people who actually have purchased the Zero is probably higher than most, so around 95% is indicative of a very high level of satisfaction.
I have them as well, and really like them :)

As with any IEM, tip selection and insertion will make or break the experience, so care is always needed.

Blorg

Thank you for the precision’s about the resonance, IEM as opposed to headphones, but in common with speakers are very susceptible to proper placement. When new to IEM it is a little disconcerting, but as experience builds up, placing the IEM right with the good tips for our ears become easier.
I will be eternally grateful to @amirm to enticed me, with this review, to give IEM a real shot at active listening with IEMs. Before, I only considered them as a practical but somehow limited option to listen to music. Since the Zero, they are getting a fair share of my listening time.
The point is there isn't really a defined "right" for insertion depth. Or a "right" for tip choice. There's getting a seal, which is basic, but seal vs no seal is a dramatic difference with the bass dropping off completely. This is the first basic step with IEM fit, you need to get a seal and that one is sort of a "right" or "wrong".

The other stuff though isn't right or wrong, it's different. What insertion depth you get is dependent on tip choice and size and how far you push them in, but it also depends on your individual ear anatomy, give the same IEM and tip to someone else and they'll get a different insertion depth relative to their eardrum. This isn't right or wrong, it's just how it works. But this also means that the sound is going to be different for different people as well, even before unit variation which is often substantial with cheap IEMs and is with this one (I have substantial variation between my left and right never mind different batches).

If you look at that Oluv video, there was a huge range in terms of his viewers insertion resonances. From below 5,200Hz to above 8,500Hz, even more of a range than I show in my chart for the Zero. All of those people are going to hear this quite differently. It's also worth noting that most people have an insertion resonance very different from the 8kHz standardized on by most measurebators. Amir's GRAS45 rig dampens the insertion resonance, this doesn't mean it's not there, it is a feature of the human ear, but his rig deliberately removes it. Not sure what he's doing to standardize insertion depth. But this is just something to consider when looking at a single FR graph, it's probably not actually representative of what most people hear. So someone saying "the lower mids are very laid back and the upper mids too pronounced ... after 20 minutes of listening my ears get tired" isn't necessarily "wrong", they may be hearing them differently to you. For that matter even Amir's own measurement has them as much as ~3.5dB over Harman in the upper mids, and Harman is already too much in the upper mids for a lot of people.

Oluv.jpg

posvibes

Could someone please recommend an inexpensive non-microphonic extension lead for the Crinacle Truthear Zero x IEM's?

Preferably from Amazon or the like, I am in Oz.

At the moment they have replaced all my headphones as my go to listening set.

My turntable/cd and listening chair set up is a little awkward and an additional one meter of cable would do the trick?

Is there anything I should aware of, or beware of?

Much thanks.

SiW

Trell

Major Contributor
And how many of those voting have actually even heard them? Most of the votes on ASR reviews are done by people based on reading the review and looking at the graphs, not because they actually own the things. Many commenters here think actually owning or listening to the thing is unnecessary in any case, use of their fallible earthly senses would only possibly compromise their objectivity.

I've a pair of them but I'm not so fond of IEMs in the first place and use them seldom, so take what I write with that in mind.

They come with a nice selection of tips so I could find one that fit well for me, and there is even four extra metal grills to replace the existing one if/when they become dirty/uncleanable. They fit securely in my ears and are comfortable. The cables does not become a rats nest when using them or take them in/out of the carrying pouch.

They sounds nice. The bass is great and I've disabled the dynamic loudness on my REM ADI-2 DAC FS as the present bass is enough for me. Have enough volume for me on an iPhone using the inline Ligthening DAC (EU version).

Now there is the downside, which so many IEM suffers from for my usage: I can hear my own breathing which is reduced by using my mouth instead of the nose. As they have a tight seal the sound of my own voice is awful when speaking so for voice/video calls it's only suitable in dire needs for something, and here the stock iPhone ear-buds are better (no seal, though). But at home I do use a pair of nice closed-back over-ears for video-calls.

So for me IEMs is only used when in a noisy environment and I want to listen to something.

Last edited:

MayaTlab

Now there is the downside, which so many IEM suffers from for my usage: I can hear my own breathing which is reduced by using my mouth instead of the nose. As they have a tight seal the sound of my own voice is awful when speaking so for voice/video calls it's only suitable in dire needs for something, and here the stock iPhone ear-buds are better (no seal, though).

Have you tried ANC TWS IEMs with a feedback mic (ex : AirPods Pro 2) ? They can reduce the occlusion effect.

Trell

Major Contributor
Have you tried ANC TWS IEMs with a feedback mic (ex : AirPods Pro 2) ? They can reduce the occlusion effect.
Nope, I’ve not tried any of those.

As for using closed-back over-ear headphones during video calls I mix in my voice from the microphone using the audio interface as closed-back is not that pleasant either without that.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could someone please recommend an inexpensive non-microphonic extension lead for the Crinacle Truthear Zero x IEM's?

Preferably from Amazon or the like, I am in Oz.

At the moment they have replaced all my headphones as my go to listening set.

My turntable/cd and listening chair set up is a little awkward and an additional one meter of cable would do the trick?

Is there anything I should aware of, or beware of?

Much thanks.

2.5mm balanced Linsoul Tripowin Zoine in silver and gold for TxC Zero and my Moondrop Starfield connecting to a Qudelix 5K...

They go up a down in price, I paid £15 for the silver and £14 for the gold when I bought them, but £20 is still reasonable for both cables.

Top Bottom