• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

cbracer

Forum Donor
It is the best in the sense that it is the only one that you really have right now.
There are other versions of it with less bass. I'm so confused that audiophiles here all agree that a neutral speaker is a straight freq response curve, slightly angled down, that Amir likes. And so we know that doesn't work for IEMs, but to assume that a small majority voted most liked by a study from a company automatically becomes the only and right curve? Oh man that's just so wrong. There are far better people out there that could hear a "correct speakers" then listen to IEMs and find a curve that is closest for their ear drums. Then if you did that for everyone qualified to compare sound you would have a better argument for what true sounding IEM curve should look like. Right now mixing in different types of music and different user preferences has clouded the judgement for what should be "true". All I can say is the Truthear Zero with less bass would be very close to ideal comparing to a "correct speaker" in my opinion. And the other topic about curves in the discussion forum is a better place for this, but for my opinion the Truthear Zero with less bass would be very very good.

cbracer

Forum Donor
We don't take umbrage that you're using a different curve to Harman, just don't be saying stuff like "it'll be an improvement for most people" - it's just your own EQ, congrats that it works well for you, but don't be saying that it'll be an improvement for people, it's just an improvement for you
Some people need the last word and will argue past the sun goes down..... the point here is that it would be an improvement for most people and I think if you averaged all the proper responses you read in these 100 pages and other discussions you might have to come to the conclusion that the latest Harman curve is wrong. And yes, I believe that for most people some of these EQ adjustments are in fact better for most people. You will never concede, got it. Just let people share their thoughts without trying to bash them down every time...... I believe most people here don't care to keep reading that kind of stuff.

Adamant11746

Just got a pair of these yesterday, and I love them! The stock tips were extremely uncomfortable, so I used the only other set I had that would fit on (Spinfit cp145 medium). They're pretty comfortable, but I'm considering trying the cp155 just to see if they are even better (Spinfit's site says they're a little longer and a tiny bit skinnier, which might fit me better). My original plan was to try these to let me know if I could tolerate wider nozzles and then get the Dusk or Variations eventually, but since the rest of the IEM shell isn't nearly as uncomfortable as I thought I will be keeping them. They do stick quite far out of my ears though, since they have a huge body.

Has anyone compared these to the Moondrop Blessing 2/Dusk/Variations/S8 in terms of comfort? I know it's probably not worth the extra money for the Dusk or Variations in terms of sound, but it might be worth it eventually if they're more comfortable.

asrUser

Has anyone compared these to the Moondrop Blessing 2/Dusk/Variations/S8 in terms of comfort? I know it's probably not worth the extra money for the Dusk or Variations in terms of sound, but it might be worth it eventually if they're more comfortable.
The Hexa is a budget Blessing 2. You could try and see for yourself.

Adamant11746

The Hexa is a budget Blessing 2. You could try and see for yourself.
You may be partially right, but while the Hexa is more rounded than the Zero the ones I mentioned are more rounded than the Hexa. Also, I like the Zero's tonality so much I'm really only considering something very close like the Variations or possibly the Dusk. Either way, this is a future purchase rather than an immediate one, since I don't have the spare cash right now for the Variations or Dusk. I could try the Hexa right now, but I'm not really inclined to, especially as it's not on Amazon so I can't easily return it if I don't like it.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Ok. Here's my 2¢ on topic about best EQ for Truthear x crinacle Zero. Actually my EQ is pretty rational and minimal (3 band only).

First let's look at all 9 production samples (S2-S10 L & R) made by crinacle himself (18 graphs total):
Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 8.18.56 PM.png

And here's the average:
Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 9.39.27 PM.png

As you see above there's some discrepancy with Harman IE 2019 v2 target. And now we can just make AutoEQ. I tried it many times and the result was ok but I was not satisfied. As I know we shouldn't EQ high frequencies (especially 8kHz peak and 10kHz dip) exactly to the target. So I had this question: considering that part of discrepancy is probably due to measurement rig error what exactly should we equalize? So my next step was to look at IEM tuned close to Harman and measured on the same rig - Moondrop Variations:
Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 9.26.29 PM.png

Comparing Variations measurements vs Harman target I see two most interesting things: difference at 1.5 kHz & 5 kHz
I've heard that the first one at 1.5 kHz is probably related to IEC711 coupler. And the second at 5 kHz is probably related to Harman target smoothing of 8 kHz peak. Maybe someone here can explain it better.

And next I've compared Variations vs Zero and I was surprised how close they actually are:
Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 10.39.28 PM.png

And next I've tried to use Variations as a target and got pretty simple 3 band PEQ (see EQ parameters below the image). And the result:
Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 9.27.04 PM.png

Code:
Preamp: -5.6 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 5.6 dB Q 0.700
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 290 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 2.300
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -3.6 dB Q 2.300

The first PEQ at 20 Hz is the only only obligatory to my ear. 290 Hz & 5 kHz PEQ can be enabled/disabled to your preference. I also included average measurements for Zero and Variations so you can play with them yourself. Comments and questions appreciated

And once more - respect to @crinacle for such a great product!

Attachments

• vari-avg.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 52
  • zero-avg.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are in agreement that the peak needs to occur at or before 3 kHz, and fall off faster than Harman IE 2019 above that.

And that is quite a bass boost :)

GaryH

Major Contributor
Managed to get a pair of the Truthear Zero's for free(!) with an Amazon voucher deal. Plugged them into my smartphone and my first impression was, ok the (sub)bass on these isn't bad. I then remembered my phone doesn't have a very low output impedance and the Truthear have a stupidly low nominal impedance of just 10 ohms that rises considerably in the bass to sub-bass, so voltage division was likely meaning the bass was getting a boost. Btw I suspect this is one of the reasons for variation in reports of this IEM's bass, even from the same person, so check the output impedance of your devices people before posting your impressions (and check cable resistance is approximately the same if changing them, as some IEM cables have ridiculously high resistance which will effectively add to the source output impedance.) And lo and behold, plugging the Truthear into my Qudelix 5K which has negligible output impedance, the (sub)bass was lacking. And the bass to mids transition isn't very cohesive, with a disconnected feel between them, likely due to the 'sub in an IEM!' gimmick, with the resultant mid-bass hump followed by a slight upper-bass dip and lower-midrange hump. It is a bit like listening to a 2.1 speaker system, but one with a mediocre subwoofer that doesn't actually extend that well down into the sub-bass, and lacking bass management so the bass doesn't correctly blend into the mids. And they're definitely pretty shouty, which just got more bothersome the longer I listened. Soundstage also isn't great compared to other IEMs. For stock sound I'd give them a 7.5 out of 10. Going back to the sound straight out of my phone, I actually preferred this overall, as at least that gave them some decent sub-bass (although it did result in the mid-bass rising a bit too high), which also flattened out the overall spectral tilt from the stock slight upwards tilt with frequency, and balanced out and somewhat masked the treble shoutniness. Out of my phone, I'd give the sound an 8/10, an improvement through pure output impedance luck and nothing more.

But the worst thing about them (apart from the covercringe) is the comfort...What were they thinking with that bore size? Did they design these for Shrek? They're without doubt the most uncomfortable IEMs I've ever worn (with any of the provided tips), which just gets worse the longer you leave them in. Please, anyone whose first IEM this is, do not think they're all this uncomfortable and give up on trying any others based on them. After an hour of agony I was ready to pack them up and send them back (even for free they wouldn't be worth the pain), when I thought I'd see if I have any other tips lying around that might fit. Found some old cheapo Sennheiser IEMs and luckily their tips fit (and were very almost the same size as the Truthear ones so there should be minimal change in sound). Even better they improved the comfort significantly. Still not great, but good enough. So if anyone has any Sennheiser IEMs lying around, give their tips a go before shelling out silly amounts for some tiny bits of rubber to fix an ergonomic disaster of an IEM.

Overall, considering the abysmal comfort, ridiculously low non-flat impedance which can result in sound inconsistency across devices, disjointed bass with limited actual sub-bass despite the marketing and shouty treble design choices, I'd give them a 4/10. It's only through complete random chance that my phone's output impedance and some tips I had lying around elevates this up to a 7/10. Would I pay $50 for them? No way.

I actually also ordered the Sony MH1 (ancestor to the legendary MH755/MH750) and Etymotic ER2SE (can't be an audiophile without at least trying an Etymotic, right?*) to compare alongside the Truthears. The MH1 were such a relief after listening to the Truthears, in both comfort and sound. The treble was just so much smoother, never bothersome, somewhat subdued, but I'd prefer that over annoyingly shouty any day. And this is how you do sub-bass! The Truthears don't even come close in that department. Just goes to show you categorically do not need a separate 'subwoofer' in an IEM to get great sub-bass despite what Truthear's marketing tells you; a single driver can achieve this no problem. Anyone who thinks they've heard proper in-ear sub-bass please try to get your hands on an IEM without a front vent (and low bass distortion to boot) like the MH1/MH755/MH750 which create a completely airtight sealed front volume and so full pressure chamber conditions. The upper bass of the MH1 does bleed somewhat into the mids though (I actually find the cheaper MH755 better in this regard), so they do need a bit of EQ. After that they're amazing.

As for the ER2SE...absolutely awful. I don't know how anyone can think the Etymotic target (including other IEMs with or EQed to have anywhere near a similar response for that matter) sounds natural. After that initial reaction I thought I'd give them a second chance a day later. Nope, still sound terrible, thin with no bass or sub-bass, overemphasized upper midrange / lower treble, but simultaneously lacking in upper treble, and poor soundstage. Even EQed to Harman (my preference) they didn't sound great, likely due to their relatively high distortion compared to most other IEMs (even those costing a fraction of the price, with the even more expensive balanced armature models from Etymotic having higher distortion still), combined with the large increase in bass EQ they require pushing their distortion down there even higher. Then to top it all off, one of the earpieces developed a fault, randomly cutting out when the cable into it moved. After two days. Back they go. So much for paying for quality...My $5 MH755 I've had for years are still going strong with regular use. (Surprisingly the Etymotics weren't too bad in terms of comfort, nowhere near as uncomfortable as the Truthear with their stock tips anyway.)

So in terms of stock sound I'd rank all these IEMs like so: Sony MH755 > MH1 > Truthear Zero > Etymotic ER2SE. Which just so happens to be their ranking from cheapest to most expensive. Sounds about right. And my impressions of the Sony's accords with blind listening tests:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/qyq99k/_/hmj71i2 Who'd have thought tuning by a professional acoustic engineer who knows it's better to err on undershooting rather than overshooting their target (which btw is remarkably similar to Harman's, and came before the latter even published any of their research on headphone target response) around the frequencies our ears are most sensitive, would produce better IEMs than a YouTube reviewer? The Truthear's sound out of my phone would just come in second place behind the MH755, but that's complete random luck of the output impedance draw, and that along with randomly finding some more comfortable tips I had lying around are the only reasons I'm keeping them. (For my thoughts on EQs for the Truthear and the Harman in-ear target see this thread.)

*Wrong. Don't bother.

Last edited:

oleg87

I very much doubt Etymotic’s target is arbitrary and not based on some research *they* did on human hearing. I don’t know if there’s some sort of modal distribution of preferences here, but the er2xr sounds considerably more neutral to me than Harman (though the horrendous cable microphonics dampen my enthusiasm for them and there’s something about the upper treble/air region that sounds rather odd to me).
Though I doubt I’d like the flat-bass version. Even somewhat elevated bass in an IEM sounds far more anemic than flat-measuring bass on an over ear for some reason.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Managed to get a pair of the Truthear Zero's for free(!) with an Amazon voucher deal. Plugged them into my smartphone and my first impression was, ok the (sub)bass on these isn't bad. I then remembered my phone doesn't have a very low output impedance and the Truthear have a stupidly low nominal impedance of just 10 ohms that rises considerably in the bass to sub-bass, so voltage division was likely meaning the bass was getting a boost. Btw I suspect this is one of the reasons for variation in reports of this IEM's bass, even from the same person, so check the output impedance of your devices people before posting your impressions (and check cable resistance is approximately the same if changing them, as some IEM cables have ridiculously high resistance which will effectively add to the source output impedance.) And lo and behold, plugging the Truthear into my Qudelix 5K which has negligible output impedance, the (sub)bass was lacking. And the bass to mids transition isn't very cohesive, with a disconnected feel between them, likely due to the 'sub in an IEM!' gimmick, with the resultant mid-bass hump followed by a slight upper-bass dip and lower-midrange hump. It is a bit like listening to a 2.1 speaker system, but one with a mediocre subwoofer that doesn't actually extend that well down into the sub-bass, and lacking bass management so the bass doesn't correctly blend into the mids. And they're definitely pretty shouty, which just got more bothersome the longer I listened. Soundstage also isn't great compared to other IEMs. For stock sound I'd give them a 7.5 out of 10. Going back to the sound straight out of my phone, I actually preferred this overall, as at least that gave them some decent sub-bass (although it did result in the mid-bass rising a bit too high), which also flattened out the overall spectral tilt from the stock slight upwards tilt with frequency, and balanced out and somewhat masked the treble shoutniness. Out of my phone, I'd give the sound an 8/10, an improvement through pure output impedance luck and nothing more.

But the worst thing about them (apart from the covercringe) is the comfort...What were they thinking with that bore size? Did they design these for Shrek? They're without doubt the most uncomfortable IEMs I've ever worn (with any of the provided tips), which just gets worse the longer you leave them in. Please, anyone whose first IEM this is, do not think they're all this uncomfortable and give up on trying any others based on them. After an hour of agony I was ready to pack them up and send them back (even for free they wouldn't be worth the pain), when I thought I'd see if I have any other tips lying around that might fit. Found some old cheapo Sennheiser IEMs and luckily their tips fit (and were very almost the same size as the Truthear ones so there should be minimal change in sound). Even better they improved the comfort significantly. Still not great, but good enough. So if anyone has any Sennheiser IEMs lying around, give their tips a go before shelling out silly amounts for some tiny bits of rubber to fix an ergonomic disaster of an IEM.

Overall, considering the abysmal comfort, ridiculously low non-flat impedance which can result in sound inconsistency across devices, disjointed bass with limited actual sub-bass despite the marketing and shouty treble design choices, I'd give them a 4/10. It's only through complete random chance that my phone's output impedance and some tips I had lying around elevates this up to a 7/10. Would I pay $50 for them? No way.

I actually also ordered the Sony MH1 (ancestor to the legendary MH755/MH750) and Etymotic ER2SE (can't be an audiophile without at least trying an Etymotic, right?*) to compare alongside the Truthears. The MH1 were such a relief after listening to the Truthears, in both comfort and sound. The treble was just so much smoother, never bothersome, somewhat subdued, but I'd prefer that over annoyingly shouty any day. And this is how you do sub-bass! The Truthears don't even come close in that department. Just goes to show you categorically do not need a separate 'subwoofer' in an IEM to get great sub-bass despite what Truthear's marketing tells you; a single driver can achieve this no problem. Anyone who thinks they've heard proper in-ear sub-bass please try to get your hands on an IEM without a front vent (and low bass distortion to boot) like the MH1/MH755/MH750 which create a completely airtight sealed front volume and so full pressure chamber conditions. The upper bass of the MH1 does bleed somewhat into the mids though (I actually find the cheaper MH755 better in this regard), so they do need a bit of EQ. After that they're amazing.

As for the ER2SE...absolutely awful. I don't know how anyone can think the Etymotic target (including other IEMs with or EQed to have anywhere near a similar response for that matter) sounds natural. After that initial reaction I thought I'd give them a second chance a day later. Nope, still sound terrible, thin with no bass or sub-bass, overemphasized upper midrange / lower treble, but simultaneously lacking in upper treble, and poor soundstage. Even EQed to Harman (my preference) they didn't sound great, likely due to their relatively high distortion compared to most other IEMs (even those costing a fraction of the price, with the even more expensive balanced armature models from Etymotic having higher distortion still), combined with the large increase in bass EQ they require pushing their distortion down there even higher. Then to top it all off, one of the earpieces developed a fault, randomly cutting out when the cable into it moved. After two days. Back they go. So much for paying for quality...My $5 MH755 I've had for years are still going strong with regular use. (Surprisingly the Etymotics weren't too bad in terms of comfort, nowhere near as uncomfortable as the Truthear with their stock tips anyway.)

So in terms of stock sound I'd rank all these IEMs like so: Sony MH755 > MH1 > Truthear Zero > Etymotic ER2SE. Which just so happens to be their ranking from cheapest to most expensive. Sounds about right. And my impressions of the Sony's accords with blind listening tests:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/qyq99k/_/hmj71i2 Who'd have thought IEMs tuned by a professional acoustic engineer who knows it's better to err on undershooting rather than overshooting their target (which btw is remarkably similar to Harman's, and came before the latter even published any of their research on headphone target response) around the frequencies our ears are most sensitive, would produce better IEMs than a YouTube reviewer? The Truthear's sound out of my phone would just come in second place behind the MH755, but that's complete random luck of the output impedance draw, and that along with randomly finding some more comfortable tips I had lying around are the only reasons I'm keeping them. (For my thoughts on EQs for the Truthear and the Harman in-ear target see this thread.)

*Wrong. Don't bother.
Interesting what you say about comfort, these Crinacle Zeros were my first IEM, my ears have only recently felt like they're recovering (from the physical irritation) since I stopped using them a few weeks ago. On balance it seems that I was more impressed with their sound than you were, but that's fine, I did find they improved with Maiky76's EQ though to remove some slight shoutiness that grated on me with longer listening. Eventhough you advise people not to be hasty about rejecting IEM's totally (based on fit & comfort) if these are your first pair - I don't think I'm gonna bother buying more IEM's, I've just got no need to have musical devices shoved down my ears, lol! I'll stick with my headphones! You made some interesting comparisons though in your analysis, so I'm sure some people who want to pursue IEM's will find it useful, especially if those Sony's can be such bargains!

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like we actually agree on the stock sound, save for the highs. I think they are overcooked, scorched, even. Interesting that it could be an output impedance difference that would cause my Pixel 4a 5G to have more sub bass. I have added about +1.5 to both the 20 and 80 Hz filters now on the PC, which the phone does not need.

I feel like after your post I need to try a pair of Sonys. The cable looks awful, though.

Last edited:

oleg87

I didn't actually notice they had such low impedance, guess I should read Amir's reviews more carefully. I was pretty confused why my EQ preset based on Crinacle's measurements was just sounding way off in the bass region, but chalked it up to the measurement... guess my laptop's headphone jack isn't quite apple dongle league.

MCH

Major Contributor
Hey guys, I general question I have always wondered about. Does low impedance + low sensitivity mean that it will drain a lot of battery when used with a portable device? (low sensitivity > volume up combined with low impedance > current up > battery down) or am I missing something or is it irrelevant? Thanks.

oleg87

Hey guys, I general question I have always wondered about. Does low impedance + low sensitivity mean that it will drain a lot of battery when used with a portable device? (low sensitivity > volume up combined with low impedance > current up > battery down) or am I missing something or is it irrelevant? Thanks.
It will use *more* power, but likely negligibly so relative to the screen/SoC/RF hardware/etc depending on the device in question. It's still reasonably sensitive in the grand scheme of things you can plug into a headphone jack.

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
I very much doubt Etymotic’s target is arbitrary and not based on some research *they* did on human hearing.
Don't be fooled by the 'Research' in their name, Etymotic's 'science' is on extremely shaky ground. In fact, it's already been demolished:

I don’t know if there’s some sort of modal distribution of preferences here
The large majority prefer the Harman target. In their paper Segmentation of Listeners Based on Their Preferred Headphone Sound Quality Profiles, Harman identify three main groups of preference:
Class 1: “Harman Target Lovers”
They make up the majority of listeners (64%) tested, and prefer neutral sounding headphones equalized to the Harman Target response curve. Membership includes an approximately equal balance of members across gender, age groups, and trained/untrained listeners. The exception is listeners over the age 50 who are more likely to be members of Class 3.

Class 2: “More Bass is Better”
This is the smallest class (15%) of listeners who prefer headphones with 3-6 dB more bass than the Target curve below 300 Hz. Members in this group are predominantly male, and include 30% of the trained listeners in our sample.

Class 3: “Less Bass is Better”
The second largest class (21%) prefers headphones with 2-4 dB less bass than the Harman Target curve below 100 Hz. Membership is comprised entirely of untrained listeners, and predominantly female and older listeners (50+ years).

Top Bottom