• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 493 82.2%

• Total voters

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Interesting idea, I have sent the info to a good friend, who likes music, not just pop music, he has not made the purchase yet. I am thinking on offering them to my daughter, Christmas is coming, who also likes music and like listening on headphones.
My concern is: can someone who is not critical about what he or she listen with, really appreciate what those bring to the party? Or does it takes years of trying to understand what is not right, is it the gear or is it the recording, to really appreciate what the Zero is revealing.
If one as not struggled to get where he is on his quest to great music, can the clarity and frequency balance be appreciated? I fear, many will be disappointed when the casual listener does not get how special those are.
If one ask for a recommendation, then it is a different story and I would gladly point that person to the Zero as the IEM to purchase.
In my anechdotal experience, yes. A couple people around me were quite pleased with the bass of these IEM's and enjoyed the clarity of the sound.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tracking the contour of the Harman bass curve gets you much closer to reality than the stock tuning of the Zero. It will sound much cleaner and be more impactful than the rounded curve you see stock. But, if you do that, the level will be too high, so you end up with a very boom-tiss sounding, V-shaped IEM. So follow the curve, but bring the level down a bit so you still get your mids.
In your opinion/experience of the Harman Curve, which is only your own experience and certainly not predictive of the majority.
Funny you ask - I am going to update it tonight.

In the last one, I tried to assuade the naysayers by adding more highs. I also wanted to hear it for myself. After a while I noticed my listening enjoyment went down. I also discovered some vocal sibilance in other songs I didn't use last time. Using the manual EQ on top of the graphic EQ, I found the problem area: the 5 kHz + range. More to come.
There's no real reason why people would prefer your own personally tuned curve. I know we've had this discussion before, and I know the arguments you bring up for it, but it should be made aware to the forum dwellers and visitor readers that there is not magic in people's own personally tuned preferred target curves/EQ's, which is the only reason I'm quickly bringing this up again, seeing as you're advertising your own EQ again. So this isn't an invitation to re-open the discussion, (seeing as we've discussed it in depth already) but instead more of a public service broadcast, lol!

Last edited:

vco1

Would have loved to tell you all how great they are, But unfortunately, after a successful journey from China to The Netherlands, GLS managed to loose my Zeroes when they only had about 30mls to go to get to my ears.
Hope one of the GLS employees likes them. :mad:
Sorry to report that Shenzhen Audio is not very helpful in this case. The local courier refers me to the sender (i.e.. Shenzhen Audio) to ask for an investigation as the parcel is clearly missing. This is b.t.w. the standard procedure. The vendorr is the first point of contact for the customer. Shenzhen first asks me to wait another day. And now sends me an unintelligible mail from which I get that they ask me to contact the courier. Or wait until the parcel gets returned to them. Which, of course, will never happen as it is lost at the depot.
All in all not a very satisfactory service so far. Thank God these are 'only' 50 euro iem's.

Georgeadv

I dont know if am doing something wrong but these sound a bit thin, especially in midrange?

Perhaps i dont get a good seal?

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I dont know if am doing something wrong but these sound a bit thin, especially in midrange?

Perhaps i dont get a good seal?
That is my situation with those IEM as well, but probably true for any IEM, like speakers, they are placement dependent.
Once they are well positioned they sound amazing with a bass that is deep and natural, but they can also easily sound thin.
Chose the best tip for your ears, set them in your ears with patience, it is little bit tedious when your are inexperienced, but as you know exactly what you are looking for with experience, it will be easier.
A small inconvenience when compared to how satisfying listening to those IEM can be.

Georgeadv

That is my situation with those IEM as well, but probably true for any IEM, like speakers, they are placement dependent.
Once they are well positioned they sound amazing with a bass that is deep and natural, but they can also easily sound thin.
Chose the best tip for your ears, set them in your ears with patience, it is little bit tedious when your are inexperienced, but as you know exactly what you are looking for with experience, it will be easier.
A small inconvenience when compared to how satisfying listening to those IEM can be.
I will try all of them and see if the sound improves

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no real reason why people would prefer your own personally tuned curve. I know we've had this discussion before, and I know the arguments you bring up for it, but it should be made aware to the forum dwellers and visitor readers that there is not magic in people's own personally tuned preferred target curves/EQ's, which is the only reason I'm quickly bringing this up again, seeing as you're advertising your own EQ again. So this isn't an invitation to re-open the discussion, (seeing as we've discussed it in depth already) but instead more of a public service broadcast, lol!
Someone asked, I answered. But thank you for your "public service". Have you tried it yet? Sure beats all this typing.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone asked, I answered. But thank you for your "public service". Have you tried it yet? Sure beats all this typing.
We've been there before! (it wouldn't be an improvement for me). I'm just trying to uphold the standards of the forum - no one person's personally tuned EQ to their own target curve is going to be better for the majority than the Target Curve that Harman came up with their research. You're welcome to have your own Target Curve that you think is great, but don't push it down other people's throats, there's no reason why they'd like it more than the Harman Curve - in fact they'd like it less on average - do the research that Harman did & then push it down people's throats but until that point just accept your target curve as being your own personal favourite target - there's no rational proven basis for your target, just accept that, enjoy your EQ & leave it at that, don't give people false expectations that your personally created target curve is valid for anyone else - it just isn't.

Alexium

Most importantly, this EQ will eliminate the shoutiness of the upper midrange
It does indeed eliminate that! Thank you, I definitely like your EQ more than stock sound. Especially after listening to EQ for a while, turning off those two midrange notches is painful. Still, I wonder which way is truly more linear. Could be that I'm just accustomed to a slight V shape? But this EQ definitely takes the edge off of a large number of tracks - large enough to doubt that they are supposed to sound so shouty.

Last edited:

oleg87

It does indeed eliminate that! Thank you, I definitely like your EQ more than stock sound. Especially after listening to EQ for a while, turning off those two midrange notches is painful. Still, I wonder which way is truly more linear. Could be that I'm just accustomed to a slight V shape? But this EQ definitely takes the edge off of a large number of tracks - large enough to doubt that they are supposed to sound so shouty.
Aside from the Zero measurably overcooking the treble relative to the target, the target itself is just based on an average of different people, so I wouldn't sweat it... what's more "linear" is a question of your particular ear anatomy.

asrUser

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

asrUser

True that. How did they even come up with that unique design? I think most random Chinese brands just use standard medical resin shapes. Can't go wrong with that.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks squarish on the outside but smooth on the inside, where it actually touches the ear. Should be a nice challenge to the popular Moondrop Aria.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks squarish on the outside but smooth on the inside, where it actually touched the ear. Should be a nice challenge to the popular Moondrop Aria.
I have had less than great experiences with the Kato. At some point the sharp exterior edges can interact with some users ears. Best not to have them IMHO.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Updated for neutral DAC use instead of the 3.5mm out I was using before.

As discussed last night, if you were having trouble with sibilance from my last EQ, try this. I was hearing too much high frequency air in John Williams' violins in Star Wars, I was hearing cymbals in rock music being too loud, and I was hearing sibilance from male voices where I normally would not.

The balance is amazing. The bass is more linear and yet more powerful. The mids really come through instead of being masked. There is no more ear fatigue, yet the strings still sing when called upon. Overall, when switching this EQ on, the improvements over stock are dramatic.

Code:
CH: 0
Preamp: 2.0 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 3.8 dB Q 2.200
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 0.800
Filter 3: OFF PK Fc 100 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 175 Hz Gain 1.8 dB Q 1.800
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2750 Hz Gain -3.2 dB Q 1.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -5.5 dB Q 2.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain -4.2 dB Q 5.000

Note this is for neutral DACs/dongles. If you are using 3.5mm out from a phone, etc with some output impedance you may experience more bass (I did on my Pixel 4a—I'm now using a Qudelix 5K, so this is an adjusted version with more bass).

The graph tells the story.

graph EQ IEF.png

No claims are being made as to "perfection" for anyone but myself. But by fixing the flaws, it should be closer for most.

Attachments

• Truthear x crinacle Zero EX8.txt
    366 bytes · Views: 3
Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It does indeed eliminate that! Thank you, I definitely like your EQ more than stock sound. Especially after listening to EQ for a while, turning off those two midrange notches is painful.
I have the same impression...gives me a headache. Are you using a smartphone or PC? For some reason, compared to the phone I need to increase the two low bass filters by +1 (or more) on the PC in Equalizer APO. I don't know if it's specific to my setup or if others trying this EQ on the PC are experiencing the same.

Deezer (same source as phone) -> Equalizer APO w/PEACE -> Optical out -> Topping EX5

All audio enhancements are turned off.

Last edited:

cbracer

Forum Donor
Was about to order these with all the discounts around, but ended up ordering the 7Hz Salnotes Zero instead for less than half the price. @amirm should definitely review these too whenever possible again.

Anyone compared them
I bought the Salnotes Zero too. They sound just like my Starfield. Better balance of bass than the Truthear x Zero. They are not as clear, and have more distortion, but for a $20 version of the Starfield it's my go to on the airplane. If you don't want to EQ then it's the best value out there. If Amir wants to test them I'd gladly send them to him!

Top Bottom