• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 493 82.2%

• Total voters

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How does this track sound in Zero's? Do vocals distort?
No distortion on my Zero that I can report, sound great.

Checking those kind of situation and questions is also, in my understanding, a perfectly good reason to get those IEM, if not for any other, to use them as a reference of sort.
They are at the same time high resolving, balanced and totally immune from high volume distortion, your ear will give up before them.

If you can afford them, well worth the money as a reference device.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Listen Linda, i gobbled up the recommendations and now I'm asking for seconds :cool:
:p:p
How on earth did you know my alter ego is named Linda? One heck of a good guess. But let’s keep this just between us OK. :oops:

I don't know what else to say other than a brief comparison with my Blessing 2

The tuning of the bass is obviously different
The transition from the mids to the bass is smoother with the B2
It is a well known thermodynamic fact that this increases the temperature
in the ear by 5 Kelvin, so it feels warmer.
But it is well done and tasteful so it doesn't sounds muddy or bloated.
This also creates some spacial effect I guess.

The bass response of the Zeros feels cleaner
Sometimes it comes out of nowhere and "pounces"
to surprise you in a good way. Not such fx with the B2
The subwoofer marketing for the Zero is meaningful and true

It is a similar story for the the rest of the spectrum:
The transitions feel smoother with the B2
but mostly at the bass region in comparison to the Zero.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds very well indeed.

No distortion to my ears.

Although there are at times some confronting tones from choir and double bass, but that fact is clearly distinguished and in the end they do not clash.

Curiously, I have been suffering for years as I went hearing her beautiful voice clipping for a mere millisecond on this astoundingly recorded audio track, myself always thinking the microphone failed at that very point, and just found out it is simply gone when played with the Zero, so it was all my previous devices the ones to be blamed, not the recording, which is majestic, as all from Savall.

:):):):)
Was it at 2:26 in the video? I think that's just the sound of her mouth on the consonant, her pronunciation. (Listening through stock HD560s headphones)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You described well the difference between these and the FiiO FH3 that I have. It sounds exactly like it looks on the chart, too. It makes it sound more "fluid", however I don't think it's accurate, because it also sounds too thick and less accurate. My IEM tuning here has only confirmed what I already knew from my experience with subwoofers in my room - that the bass boost needs to be done by 100 Hz, maybe 125 Hz at the maximum. In fact the final frequency response I ended up with here is nearly identical to the dual, room-corrected subs in my room.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
"terrible" is not a fair descriptor for this design. If you have to press, it mean that the seal is not correct, thus that the chosen tip doesn't fit your ear canals.. There are 5 tips, have you tried them all? That the provided tips , if they were all tried, did not fit, still, do not make of this earphone a "terrible" design ..And there are some truly inexpensive tips out there., that could fit you..In Hi-Fi as in may other things in life, one must experiments, if just a little, to reach best results...

Peace.
Thank you, yes I’ve tried 4 out of 6, will try other tips later. But AirPods work great with both med and large tips for me, and the fit is so good.
Does Truthear hold well in your ears? Don‘t you feel a marked improvement pressing them still further?
with AirPods I get nothing with extra pressing. With truthear I get all the bass

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, yes I’ve tried 4 out of 6, will try other tips later. But AirPods work great with both med and large tips for me, and the fit is so good.
Does Truthear hold well in your ears? Don‘t you feel a marked improvement pressing them still further?
with AirPods I get nothing with extra pressing. With truthear I get all the bass
They don't give the most secure of hold for me. Feel more like the tip is holding them in place. I prefer shells that fit more securely in the bowl of my concha and keep the tip in place naturally.

But with the right tip (spinfit 155 for me) this is much less of an issue than with the stock tips.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe the Dusk is more comparable.

graph (3).png

RHO

Major Contributor
Maybe the Dusk is more comparable.

View attachment 236739
I would say the same things about the Dusk. Transition from bass to lower mids is smoother. I prefer that. The balance between bass and upper mids/treble is also better on the Dusk IMO. (ergonomics on the Dusk is also a little better)
That doesn't mean I don't like the Zero. It's absolutely wonderful, certainly if you take price into account.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Hyperboles are as common in the Audiophile universe as sand in the Sahara ...
This said, it could well be a first for me, in my 50 years + as an audiophile:
Most audio systems are relatively complex contraptions, involving some rituals to perform their function: Play music. In the Vinyl ages, we had to clean, the LP, the stylus, etc.. Nowadays, even the most minimalist of us, have go to the ritual of powering on a few things, or at the very least, wake them up.. streamer or PC, amp, even speakers... whether though headphones or speakers.. a few chores must be performed to, finally, listen to music.

Then, I acquired this IEM, on an impulse and ...

To listen to music in the highest fidelity , SOTA, level mind you, I just have to pick my phone. And music comes , pure , pristine, accurate, loud and almost too intimately... I received it two days ago and I've been listening to music on it, solely on it. I am actually a bit surprised that this IEM doesn't bother me much.. we'll see long term... And it is accurate out of the box. No EQ App or hardware required... it just is...
I acquired 3 AKG k702 for a studio project, it seems to be one of the least expensive (cheapest?) headphones adhering very much to the Harman curve but , for me, subjectively, not pleased with it, and it felt cheap , it wasn't the same thing... Two are being used in the studio, the third one, I intended to keep it, but after numerous listening sessions, I didn't care for it and returned it. This TCZ? ...., is staying, I am acquiring another one, just in case.
Not perfect, but what is...? I have read in this thread some IEM surpassing it .. not on measurements mind you, on subjective terms.. Else, it seems to be at the top. I am too new to the IEM world to opine further but ... this item is IMO, revolutionary.

I am flabbergasted at the same time, elated and deeply pleased. The best $50,oo I have spend in my +50 years in audio. ( I don't think this is hyperbole, BTW)...

I will try to no longer, post in this thread.. my posts are reeking of fanboi-ism:facepalm:

Peace.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We are living a golden age in IEMs, with excellent balance, low distortion, comfortable for most users, and very accessible. Add this to smartphones and music streaming and now we understand why every student (meaning, broke) is isolated with a phone and IEMs. It is just a phenomenal portable cheap system.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I listen with pleasure on with mine.:) Since I am a beginner with IEMs, (in any case if IEM are to be used for sensible sound reproduction/HiFi) , I am learning. It's mostly a question, for me, of finding convenient tips.Memory foam ear tips seem to make sense BUT according to this video bass is reduced then. Don't know if that's right?

That Wavelet EQ I've seen that there are those who talked about here in the thread seems to work with Android and Spotify.:) It might be something IF memory foam ear tips reduce bass, that is. Fix it with EQ. Unless that Wavelet is too much work to get going. I can't bear to keep messing with it then.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That Wavelet EQ I've seen that there are those who talked about here in the thread seems to work with Android and Spotify.:) It might be something IF memory foam ear tips reduce bass, that is. Fix it with EQ. Unless that Wavelet is too much work to get going. I can't bear to keep messing with it then
It is very simple to use.

RHO

Major Contributor
I listen with pleasure on with mine.:) Since I am a beginner with IEMs, (in any case if IEM are to be used for sensible sound reproduction/HiFi) , I am learning. It's mostly a question, for me, of finding convenient tips.Memory foam ear tips seem to make sense BUT according to this video bass is reduced then. Don't know if that's right?

That Wavelet EQ I've seen that there are those who talked about here in the thread seems to work with Android and Spotify.:) It might be something IF memory foam ear tips reduce bass, that is. Fix it with EQ. Unless that Wavelet is too much work to get going. I can't bear to keep messing with it then.

I disagree with some things he says.
Noise isolation on silicone tips is not that great in most cases and is even worse on Spinfit CP145/155 tips because of the very thin silicone. This also reduces bass in my opinion.
Foam tips are most certainly not 1 size fits all. Maybe for people who use medium sized silicone tips they are, but not for others. Comfort on foam tips is comparable to silicone tips but not in all cases. Some really expand hard and put quite a bit of pressure on the ear canal. You think you need a smaller one but when you try the smaller one doesn't seal. This does depend on the foam used. Some foam tips can get a bit itchy.
I don't think you can clean foam eartips. Comply tips are good but not better than cheaper ones. They are just more expensive.
You can clean silicone eartips easily as he says. But I don't think you need to clean them every week. It doesn't hurt if you do.

Edit: Forgot to mention: Bass is not reduced with foam tips. I suspect he thinks he has a good seal because the IEM stays firmly in his ear. But I suspect he uses a size too small for his foam tips (one size fits all he?;)). He just doesn't like the pressure a foam tips creates when it seals well, I assume from the comment in his video. Isolation is much better than with silicone tips too, in that case.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I am new to IEM but , can now understand the attraction. The TCZ is basically grafted to me, these past few hours... I won't say a thing about their sound, I promised in this post.. I'll keep it.
index.php

Search for the best tip, could take the audiophile down a rabbit hole. One could ends up paying serious money for tips, without finding a good one, often more than the IEM itself...There should be some Scientific ways to do that? Aren't there? I mean ways to measure the ear and buy the right tips? Perhaps a trip to the doctor, accompanied with a ear-cleaning ;)? Seriously though, can that be a DIY thing?

Peace

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I am new to IEM but , can now understand the attraction. The TCZ is basically grafted to me, these past few hours... I won't say a thing about their sound, I promised in this post.. I'll keep it.
index.php

Search for the best tip, could take the audiophile down a rabbit hole. One could ends up paying serious money for tips, without finding a good one, often more than the IEM itself...There should be some Scientific ways to do that? Aren't there? I mean ways to measure the ear and buy the right tips? Perhaps a trip to the doctor, accompanied with a ear-cleaning ;)? Seriously though, can that be a DIY thing?

Peace
Tips are both ear and shell dependent for a good fit. Annoyingly the perfect tip for you on IEM A wont work half as well for IEM B.

You can rule out some tip shapes and sizes for your ears but can't necessarily rule in.

Leiker535

Hi

index.php

Peace

There is a niche market for custom fitted/molded IEMs, but the brands that offer those are the antithesis of the chi-fi market, so prepare your wallet. In this market, I'd look into the most recognized brands, knowning, as @Jimbob54 said, that fit is a combination of the eartip + the iem itself, bore size, weight, insertion depth, etc. So there is no universal fitting tip.

I'd start at the Dunu Spinfits, the cp100 and cp145s being are most famous out of the bunch. They offer flange tips as well, but I wouldn't go for them for the Zero or other wide bore iems. The other silicone tips brands I'd recommend are Azla and Final Audio. Azla has a wide range of offerings, but I personally really like their xelastec material, which molds into your canal by heat exposure (beware though, they are sticky and a lint magnet); Final Audio is a japanese company and their E tips can be easily had on amazon.

There are also foam tips, with Comply and Dekoni being the most accomplished brands on this hemisphere. On Aliexpress you can get the Moondrop mis tips which are a cheaper equivalent. Be mindful that with any foam tip you try, there is often a treble decrease (measurable). They also, like the Xelastecs, need to be replaced with time.

DanielT

Major Contributor
It is very simple to use.
What you say sounds good. I'll try that Wavelet.:)
I disagree with some things he says.
Noise isolation on silicone tips is not that great in most cases and is even worse on Spinfit CP145/155 tips because of the very thin silicone. This also reduces bass in my opinion.
Foam tips are most certainly not 1 size fits all. Maybe for people who use medium sized silicone tips they are, but not for others. Comfort on foam tips is comparable to silicone tips but not in all cases. Some really expand hard and put quite a bit of pressure on the ear canal. You think you need a smaller one but when you try the smaller one doesn't seal. This does depend on the foam used. Some foam tips can get a bit itchy.
I don't think you can clean foam eartips. Comply tips are good but not better than cheaper ones. They are just more expensive.
You can clean silicone eartips easily as he says. But I don't think you need to clean them every week. It doesn't hurt if you do.

Edit: Forgot to mention: Bass is not reduced with foam tips. I suspect he thinks he has a good seal because the IEM stays firmly in his ear. But I suspect he uses a size too small for his foam tips (one size fits all he?;)). He just doesn't like the pressure a foam tips creates when it seals well, I assume from the comment in his video. Isolation is much better than with silicone tips too, in that case.
"Bass is not reduced with foam tips"...
Intuitively, I think it sounds reasonable. Because of its functionality, that they expand and close in the ear canal should thus give good bass.:)

Wash foam tips,..hmm. I haven't even thought about that. I can try washing some noise protection ear plugs, just to see what happens. I have never done that. It is the same foam principle in them.
image_1024.jpeg

Peace
At least the market seems to be there. An example, search on Amazon: Memory foam earbuds tips
Page up and page down of different models.
Screenshot_2022-10-12_204453.jpg

..and that's just one type of tip, there are many others.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is a niche market for custom fitted/molded IEMs, but the brands that offer those are the antithesis of the chi-fi market, so prepare your wallet. In this market, I'd look into the most recognized brands, knowning, as @Jimbob54 said, that fit is a combination of the eartip + the iem itself, bore size, weight, insertion depth, etc. So there is no universal fitting tip.
In reference to custom fitted IEMs it's worth remembering that your body changes over time and that includes the ear and ear canal. What fits perfectly today might not fit well in 3 or 5 years. I mention this because custom fits are often extraordinarily expensive but have a limited useful lifespan. And there is a zero chance of being able to sell them if you no longer like them.

Top Bottom