• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 493 82.2%

• Total voters

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When you return them or sell them (probably many takers) you can make the financial loss a LOT less.
They are only a waste of money when you do not use them or bin them.

You could also see the $ 50.- as tuition money... you may have learned this is not for you and maybe be glad you did not buy a + $100 IEM.

I did not buy one (and saved me some money) because I know IEM is not for me. Regardless how positive others may be about them. Besides I have plenty of references and good sounding headphones.
I bought them and mostly like them - but It has taught me a cheap lesson, that I have weird freakish ears :p. I find it incredible hard to find a ear tip that passes the seal test and even when I do it invariable moves position after 10 minutes and I loose the low frequencies again. The only one that worked for me was a triple flange ear tips but they are very uncomfortable. But I don't regret buying these at all - its been interesting - I am investigating whether its worth getting custom built ear tips (or making my own).

Last edited:

eardiggler

These IEM's have helped me confirm that I don't really like IEM's in general. There's nothing wrong with these, but I just can't get comfortable with having something jammed into my ear canal for more than 20 minutes. That's on me. I'm sticking with my little Koss KPH (on the ear) headphones when I need something small and lightweight over IEM's. I appreciate Amir reviewing these. For $50 it was totally worth experimenting!

Last edited:

asrUser

In which case for IEM's you might argue that frequency response measurement & distortion measurement is all that matters.
You may argue, but frequency response is not everything. There might be differences in soundstaging and if the IEM sounds thick or too thin. For me the most important thing would be comfort. Best sound quality would be useless if I get ear pain after 20 min.

I just wasted $50 on these…
Look at the package and rethink. ;)

asrUser

So I was looking for something similar but with a little less bass. I tried the Moondrop Aria Snow but there was just too much missing and it did have less bass, way too much less. I thought about the Starfield but someone earlier said it has more bass than the Truthear Zero. I don't want to spend $300 although the Blessing 2 might be the right one.
Did you try to eq the Aria snow and it still did not sound good enough? According to Crinacle the Aria 2021 (mk1) should be the same as a Starfield.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You may argue, but frequency response is not everything. There might be differences in soundstaging and if the IEM sounds thick or too thin. For me the most important thing would be comfort. Best sound quality would be useless if I get ear pain after 20 min.

Look at the package and rethink. ;)
Yes, of course comfort matters. I still think measured frequency response of IEM's is gonna be even more influential in the final experience of the device than that of over ears......it's often said that frequency response is all that matters if you want to drive it down to one variable, but for IEM's I'd consider that to be even more applicable, for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post of which you conveniently only quoted one sentence....(interested people can trace back the branch of the conversation if they want).

cbracer

Forum Donor
Did you try to eq the Aria snow and it still did not sound good enough? According to Crinacle the Aria 2021 (mk1) should be the same as a Starfield.
Yes you can add some bass in the EQ and get it to sound better for sure. Acceptable, but then I swapped back to the Truthear with reduced bass and that was still better. More full sounding. $50 is better than $80 so my choice would be Truthear, although the Aria fit my smaller ear canals better. The sound you hear does not always match the frequency graphs when comparing these IEMs. Like on the Chu for example. And you have to try different songs because some IEMs always sound better on some songs than others that's for sure. I will try my Starfield tonight and let you know. Unfortunately I already sent my Aria Snow back, but I can still compare to Truthear.

Madlop26

My family of IEMs reaching to 7 now, becoming a mess

what about this as a solution for IEM stand? I think may work quite well.View attachment 232455
yes , worked pretty well I dare say
IMG_0347.jpg

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I've done it!

Using a frequency sweep, I've nearly eliminated all the resonances that are bothering some of us. Of course I also listen to a lot of music to confirm. Also:

-Fixed the dirty bass/overall bass shape. Just like I found in my main system, the bass boost needs to be done by around 100 Hz. This is (IMO/IME) a flaw in the Harman curve.
-With less of a V-shaped response, drums and other mids have much more impact
-Deeper bass
-Much better balance

You have to try it. Filters below, and Wavelet attached.

Code:
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 2.4 dB Q 2.200
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain -3.6 dB Q 0.800
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 100 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 175 Hz Gain 1.8 dB Q 1.800
Filter 5: OFF PK Fc 1100 Hz Gain -0.6 dB Q 2.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2750 Hz Gain -3.2 dB Q 1.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -5.5 dB Q 2.000
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain -4.2 dB Q 5.000

Really curious to know what you guys think. It should sound very well balanced.

I've also updated my original post.

Attachments

• Truthear x crinacle Zero Filters EX7.txt
    385 bytes · Views: 43
  • Truthear x crinacle Zero EX7.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

cbracer

Forum Donor
-Fixed the dirty bass/overall bass shape. Just like I found in my main system, the bass boost needs to be done by around 100 Hz. This is (IMO/IME) a flaw in the Harman curve.
-Deeper bass
-Much better balance
That graph looks like what I want. Is there a PC or iphone app to use those filters or just google?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For PC, Equalizer APO. Install that, then PEACE on top of it. I think I watched YouTube to figure out how to set it up, the creator has some published walkthroughs there.

Jhify

I just fited on the Comply 500 Series rounded foam tips. Confort went from a 2/10: I can't wear them for more than a hour, to a 7/10: I can listen for few hours without much disconfort. And I can finally get a proper seal which I couldn't whith any of the tips included. If you've got weird ear canals I recomend them.

With a simple 10 band eq to tweak them a bit they're now my go to at the office.

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
I'm using Comply 500 tips and they also work well for me , I can listen for hours now too.
Ive found giving them a little squeeze before putting them in and voila .. great sound and they stay put!

Last edited:

Haruko

-Deeper bass
-Much better balance
that's funny idk what are your reference tracks to test this with but try and play something like Catty Angel · KIYO*SEN. If the eq sounds better to you then i guess you can say you have done it...

KikoKentaurus

I think I've done it!

I've nearly eliminated all the resonances! The worst offenders were surrounding 5 and 7 kHz. I also:

-Deeper bass
-Much better balance

You have to try it. Filters below, and Wavelet attached.

Code:
Preamp: -2.3 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 2.500
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 1.000
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 100 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 2.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 175 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1050 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 2.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2750 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 0.850
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 5.000
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 3.000

Really curious to know what you guys think. It should sound very well balanced.

I've also updated my original post.
Do you use foam tips or basic ones?
Also, this blogger states that the deviation differ from what is provided by Crinacle.

usern

That graph looks like what I want. Is there a PC or iphone app to use those filters or just google?
For PC, Equalizer APO. Install that, then PEACE on top of it. I think I watched YouTube to figure out how to set it up, the creator has some published walkthroughs there.
PEACE is not necessary.
Create new control flow:
1664979858097.png

Then click on file select:
1664979929932.png

In the file selection dialogue, create new .txt file (can name it anything), right click open it and paste the EQ there. And select the newly created file. All done.
Code:
Preamp: -2.3 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 2.500
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 1.000
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 100 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 2.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 175 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1050 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 2.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2750 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 0.850
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 5.000
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 3.000
After that, can adjust the filters in GUI by clicking the arrow button: