• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 493 82.2%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing this thread demonstrates beyond any shadow of a doubt: ASR is regrettably just as susceptible to the power of suggestion and and the perils of group think as any other.

I'm listening to Renaissance vocal music right now, which a poster above claimed would be harsh, with or without the magic of equalization. I'm listening without equalization to Josquin des Prez's Missa Pange lingua, on the famous recording as performed by the Tallis Scholars (CD; Gimell, 1986), and it is glorious. It's not remotely anything I'd think could be fairly called "harsh," "shouty," or "shrill." (I think it might do some posters good to listen to an 80s Sony Walkman with stock earphones to help prod their memory as to a sound that actually justifies those epithets.)

Since the Josquin isn't English church music, I moved on to Orlando Gibbons. (No Tomkins in my collection, I'm afraid.) Would my ears be shredded ragged by the harsh, shrill, human voice as reproduced by these dreadfully "shouty," non-EQed IEMs?

Of course not. It sounds just lovely. Orlando Gibbons, "With a Merrie Noyse": Second Service and Consort Anthems, performed by the Choir of Magdalen College, Oxford, with Fretwork, directed by Bill Ives (CD; Harmonia Mundi, 2003.)

In other words, despite how people have been using language in this thread, opinions don't become facts even when repeated over and over again. They're just opinions. And so is mine.

And my opinion is that Amir made a solid recommendation here. I will acknowledge that for some, a little EQ, suit to taste, will make them even better.
Not everyone will hear them in the same way, it won't be the same experience for everyone, and then there's experimentation/education to really end up at your best curve. The good thing about these IEM's, they're probably low unit to unit variation from what we've seen, so when it comes to IEM's people can experiment with EQ on the basis of these to determine what their ideal IEM target curve would be........for their future reference if EQ'ing other IEM's to their target curve of choice (but it would require some work with REW or Crinacle's graph tool to cement in their preferred target curve for future reference.....not necessary for the majority of folks). I would think for most people that these IEM's would sound absolutely great to fine without EQ.

The biggest reason for my listening to these without EQ, by the way, is actually pretty simple: my preferred listening setup is digital source/DAC --> headphone amp --> headphones or IEMs. I'm not inclined to add an EQ unit to that path.

My main interest in the IEMs is for traveling convenience, when I'd be using my phone or a tablet, and I'll be continuing to tinker a bit with EQing there.

Even just in testing, these are plenty enjoyable stock, in my opinion, and I'm simply not sympathetic to the attitude that the Truthear Zeros must be EQed to be enjoyable.

Not everyone will hear them in the same way, it won't be the same experience for everyone, and then there's experimentation/education to really end up at your best curve. The good thing about these IEM's, they're probably low unit to unit variation from what we've seen, so when it comes to IEM's people can experiment with EQ on the basis of these to determine what their ideal IEM target curve would be........for their future reference if EQ'ing other IEM's to their target curve of choice (but it would require some work with REW or Crinacle's graph tool to cement in their preferred target curve for future reference.....not necessary for the majority of folks). I would think for most people that these IEM's would sound absolutely great to fine without EQ.
Totally agree. But to read some posters in this thread you'd get the impression that these are horrifying disasters without major EQ efforts, or are irredeemable even with. That to me isn't fair. After all, I mean, the Truthears are $50! But opinions are opinions, and as long as people aren't conflating opinion with fact... then, de gustibus non est disputandum.

I won't be defending the included manga waifu packaging, though.

F1308

Major Contributor
Hi...

:):):):)

I was making some adjustments here and there and suddenly I realized I hadn't connected the masterpiece we have been talking about for nearly 72 full pages to my still functioning Yamaha CVP-96, dated 1996.

Oh, dear, what a guitar and what a choir...!!!!
Almost impossible to stop my playing...

I finally understand Ulises asking his crew for help...

So if you want me to resists the bewitching songs of the keyboard, please tie me up !!!!

The Zero fares well against the much more expensive Blessing 2. But Moondrop still managed to achieve a more accurate FR where both bass and treble should shine a bit better.

1664657251048.png

A more interesting comparison would be against the Starfield/Aria. The Zero should produce a more balanced/clear sound

1664657315736.png

EQ should improve the Zero easily
Preamp: -3.0 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 0.700
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 90 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 1.400
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 160 Hz Gain 1.9 dB Q 1.500
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 600 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 1.500
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1500 Hz Gain -0.9 dB Q 1.100
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4900 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 2.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 6600 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 13500 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2.000

1664657182481.png

RandomEar

Totally agree. But to read some posters in this thread you'd get the impression that these are horrifying disasters without major EQ efforts, or are irredeemable even with. That to me isn't fair. After all, I mean, the Truthears are $50! But opinions are opinions, and as long as people aren't conflating opinion with fact... then, de gustibus non est disputandum.

I won't be defending the included manga waifu packaging, though.
I think you are missing something significant here: Due to differences in ear physiology, IEMs can sound vastly different for different people. The measured frequency response shown by amir or other reviewers only represents the FR for that measurement setup with one specific artificial ear canal.

So, yes, these are "just opinions". But no, they aren't invalid and these IEM can legitimately sound bad for some (unfortunate) people, which happen to have a physiology which is in some aspects too different from the average Joe. The Harman target does not sound neutral to everybody. It's just got the highest average preference value.

F1308

Major Contributor
I found it so funny that discussion on EQ.

It goes as simply as trying each and every single pair of tips included in the box to discover how greatly the perceived performance does vary...

Am I the only one humidifying each tip before insertion...?

After much testing I discovered the best tips are the ones that adjust so well that keeps the sound unchanged regardless of my fiddling with the external part of the IEM.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not everyone will hear them in the same way, it won't be the same experience for everyone, and then there's experimentation/education to really end up at your best curve.
Maybe, maybe not. I sometimes hear a speaker to be bright even though measurements don't show it. I switch to my Revel Salon 2 and realize it is just as "bright" over there! There is no telling if people's notion of neutral is correct or not.

My suggestion is to listen for a while and then go back to whatever other device you think is more correct. And then ponder the difference.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry man, but you have no idea. I'm sorry to be so sharp, but I don't appreciate such a post when I'm going out of my way trying to help you with an EQ for your Android system that won't accept filters below 75Hz. That is what I've created for you, don't blame the messenger - if you don't like the Harman 2019 v2 Target Curve then say so, as my EQ I gave you was a totally valid EQ, and an elegant one at that, to that Target Curve and allowed you to not use any filters under 75Hz - which was the problem you stated. If you don't like the Harman 2019 v2 Target Curve then say so, but don't diss my EQ because it is an exact representation of that curve whilst allowing you to not use any filters under 75Hz. If you don't understand what I'm talking about or why that's the case, then you do indeed have quite a bit to learn about EQ. If you do now understand what I'm talking about, then you will realise it's been a misunderstanding.

EDIT: you don't need a negative preamp if you're matching the measurement on the curve at such a point that I did, which is the only reason you were able to get away with a Harman 2019 v2 EQ without using filters under 75Hz in the first place, lol! :facepalm: (Sorry, you do have quite a bit to learn about EQ, which is fine, just I don't appreciate your attitude when I'm giving you a very elegant solution to your problem.......now if you don't want an EQ to the Harman 2019 v2 curve then make that clear, but my EQ is 100% valid if that's what you're after.)
Did you miss my post? Not having EQ below 75 Hz is relevant only to the manual graphic EQ or 10-band PEQ functions, not the more precise Wavelet EQ I generated:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...x-crinacle-zero-iem-review.37380/post-1334957

Womaz

I think it also depends on what other IEM we have been using before making a new purchase. You have got used to a particular sound signature and then you out somrthing new in your ear. It may sound bright as it could sound bright compared to your current IEM.

I have the Campfire Andromeda and I have ordered these as a spare pair to replace my Etymotic ER4XR as I just cant get used to the deep insertion. I expect these to sound more like my E4XR than the Andromeda.

Peter Chuang

Hello gentlemen,

I measure the cord of the IEM have an end to end DC resistance of 0.9 ohm.
From output of the amplifier, it is 1.8 ohm +10ohm from drivers unit in the IEM.
Compared to the speaker system, normally impedance of the speaker cable in 3 m is usually less than 0.1ohm.
For IEM earphone, is higher cord or cable resistance a big issue?
Anyone tried lower impedance cable? Does it make a difference?

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But no, they aren't invalid and these IEM can legitimately sound bad for some (unfortunate) people, which happen to have a physiology which is in some aspects too different from the average Joe.
I only have issues with IEMs where they often get grating trable and shouty midrange. This IEM, Moondrop Chu, all 6 different KZs that I've bought (including the one with crinacle collab), Tin Audio T2 and T3 all have similar issues. I don't think its due to Harman target since my other headphones that follows the target sound good to my ears (HD660S, EQ'd ZX110, Brainwavz HM5, Verum One MK2, Monolith M1060, Audeze LCD2 pre-fazor). The only IEM that doesn't have these issues for me is Tin Audio P1. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain the physics behind this.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe, maybe not. I sometimes hear a speaker to be bright enough though measurements don't show it. I switch to my Revel Salon 2 and realize it is just as "bright" over there! There is no telling if people's notion of neutral is correct or not.

My suggestion is to listen for a while and then go back to whatever other device you think is more correct. And then ponder the difference.
Yes, in my experience it does take swapping devices or EQ's to try to get a "reality check" on what you've been listening to & which is best. It's not easy to compare devices due to the longer changeover time, I find it easier to compare EQ's though as you can change them on the fly with a couple of button clicks.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you miss my post? Not having EQ below 75 Hz is relevant only to the manual graphic EQ or 10-band PEQ functions, not the more precise Wavelet EQ I generated:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...x-crinacle-zero-iem-review.37380/post-1334957
Ah, so you can directly import an EQ into Wavelet that has filters below 75Hz, but in the same program you can't manually enter filters below 75Hz? No, I hadn't seen that. I think the EQ I generated though could still be useful for people though as it's only 5 Peak Filters (good for RME ADI DACS), and they're all very low Q filters - so should be pretty good, I've not tried it yet though.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, in my experience it does take swapping devices or EQ's to try to get a "reality check" on what you've been listening to & which is best. It's not easy to compare devices due to the longer changeover time, I find it easier to compare EQ's though as you can change them on the fly with a couple of button clicks.

I also find it a lot more difficult to discern any relevant difference once the quality of the gear is at this level. I can usually only tell that it sounds "different" (if that), but not really if it is better....

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also find it a lot more difficult to discern any relevant difference once the quality of the gear is at this level. I can usually only tell that it sounds "different" (if that), but not really if it is better....
I guess I see what you mean, if you're talking about the gear you're comparing being all below audible distortion, but if the changes in frequency response are significantly different enough then you should gain an idea of which sounds best to you. But it doesn't matter, if you don't have a preference between two different IEM's, then you can just sell one or just pick up the one nearest to you or the one that fits your usage case the best that day - like maybe noise isolation or resistance to travel damage, comfort, etc.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
72+ pages of conversation (mostly positive) about a $50 buck IEM in 2 weeks and a few days. I would say @amirm has reviewed a solid product that just performs beyond expectations for this price point, and most certainly resonates with our membership. That’s a big win all by itself and demonstrates that Amir is tuned into the stuff that interests and excites our group. Bravo Zulu Sir!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I caved in last night and ordered a pair from Amazon UK, they turned up this morning and initial impression is positive (without any EQ). They don't sound massively different from my Moondrop Starfields apart from the Starfields having a little more bass (i'm using foam tips on both IEMs). I will play with EQ later.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I caved in last night and ordered a pair from Amazon UK, they turned up this morning and initial impression is positive (without any EQ). They don't sound massively different from my Moondrop Starfields apart from the Starfields having a little more bass (i'm using foam tips on both IEMs). I will play with EQ later.

Too late - we are in backlash mode now- get on the "shouty" train!

Top Bottom