• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think "it's just your ears" as you postulated re the FH3 sounding neutral or slightly bright - as in the Harman IEM Curve may not represent neutrality for you, maybe due to HRTF differences you have that might be quite unique which could mean you require quite a different target curve. Either that or maybe you're not getting a good seal with the FH3 and thereby that makes them brighter?
There's lots of sub-bass and the outside world is muted :)

Or maybe instead it's as simple as you've just burned your brain into how the FH3 sounds - if you listen to it enough then it will start to sound normal in tonality.....and it'll only be when you change headphones or listen to some flat studio monitors that you'll realise that the FH3 was quite dull.
Could be, but it's when I listen longer that I want to take -1 dB from the treble, not the opposite. I have the same experience with speakers. @GaryH could be right that it's the 800 - 1500 Hz area that is the issue for me, but it's impossible to not notice the difference in the treble on the graphs.

Our hearing sensitivity peaks right in that range:

ISO 226-2003 White.png

It's possible that mine drops deeper than this. Just speculating.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
I'm 55 and my hearing still goes to 14 or 15k (well, it did last year when I checked|) but it is less sensitive and probably less even than it used to be. I probably wouldn't notice a bit of brightness, or else wouldn't mind it as much as most younger people. Also I'm using quite large foam tips, a bit bigger than the ones that came with the IEM and I think, as well as giving an excellent seal, they can take a bit of brightness off compared to silicones (not entirely sure about this but it seems like it to me).
Can you post a link to the specific foam tips you are using and that fit? Many have asked this question and I don’t recall reading a specific answer. Much appreciated!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's lots of sub-bass and the outside world is muted :)

Could be, but it's when I listen longer that I want to take -1 dB from the treble, not the opposite. I have the same experience with speakers. @GaryH could be right that it's the 800 - 1500 Hz area that is the issue for me, but it's impossible to not notice the difference in the treble on the graphs.

Our hearing sensitivity peaks right in that range:

View attachment 232383

It's possible that mine drops deeper than this. Just speculating.
Well I did say one of the reasons might be because you have HRTF differences, which may account for your different observations of tonality, so Fletcher-Munson is probably a red herring, as it would also affect your desired speaker tuning if you believe that there is a link between the two, ah you did mention speaker tuning too. Maybe it is that then and/or HRTF differences, which I guess can be interrelated anyway - either way that's "it's just your ears" that you mentioned earlier......so you'd probably prefer a modified version of the Harman IEM Curve rather than how it stands now. Sounds like you're not having seal issues.

(On the speaker tuning point, I'm not sure there is a relation to a person's Fletcher Munson Curves and their desired optimal anechoic speaker curve.......my understanding is that the overwhelming preference was for an anechoic flat speaker in the work of Toole.....as you'd kind of expect that you would adapt to your own Fletcher Munson Curve and normal life would sound normal, and therefore an anechoic flat speaker would sound most normal (as all frequencies are being equally represented from the source in just the same way that they would be from sounds emanating from the real world environment around you when you're out in the streets & in the woods just living your life), but I suppose we shouldn't debate or theorize too much on that front, as it is off-topic to the thread.)

Last edited:

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you post a link to the specific foam tips you are using and that fit? Many have asked this question and I don’t recall reading a specific answer. Much appreciated!

I've tried out lots of different foam tips and these are the ones I like the best. Proper memory foam, at least as durable as Shure tips, and a range of tip sizes and barrel sizes. Not the cheapest out there but still way better value than top brands. You probably want the 4.9mm diameter ones for the Truthears, though I did manage to force a 4.5mm pair on.

AdamG

Forum Donor

I've tried out lots of different foam tips and these are the ones I like the best. Proper memory foam, at least as durable as Shure tips, and a range of tip sizes and barrel sizes. Not the cheapest out there but still way better value than top brands. You probably want the 4.9mm diameter ones for the Truthears, though I did manage to force a 4.5mm pair on.
Thanks and to confirm that this sizing will work?: Appreciate your help.

4.5-6.0mm Nozzle Earphone​

julian_hughes

Thanks and to confirm that this sizing will work?: Appreciate your help.

4.5-6.0mm Nozzle Earphone​

Buy the ones with the largest nozzle diameter (4.9mm). I did manage to fit the medium nozzle ones but it was a real fight and I probably did well not to tear the foam.

noel_fs

So you don't trust a review unit sent by the collaborator/advisor on a headphone to someone else for measurement, but you do trust units measured by the collaborator himself? Color me confused.
i see your point, but its the fact that they are showing 10 samples which kinda challenges the community to prove it wrong so i wouldnt expect it to be wrong because it would make them look extremely bad. It could happen but the fact that they managed to design a product that performs this well in the first place, makes me think they are not dumb and probably looking to build a solid reputation.

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Got a pair, gonna have to work on the seal...i have big holes and I can not lie.
I am in a similar boat - decided to buy some SpinFit CP240-L as they seem to be the both wide and deep with the double flange - hopefully a good seal.

I know with the AirPods Pro I could never get a good seal that was comfortable (though Apple Seal test was super useful as I could get some analytics from the "Console log" to show me how far or close I was to a seal with different sizes).

Reactions: pjn

Pattern

Just got mine. Dead driver in the left ear piece

Pattern

@Pattern did you switch the cable around (Left ear piece to Right cable)?
Yes, swapped cable sides, ears, and devices. Hopefully the replacement set come in working shape because the right ear piece sounds absolutely lovely.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I did say one of the reasons might be because you have HRTF differences, which may account for your different observations of tonality, so Fletcher-Munson is probably a red herring, as it would also affect your desired speaker tuning if you believe that there is a link between the two, ah you did mention speaker tuning too. Maybe it is that then and/or HRTF differences, which I guess can be interrelated anyway - either way that's "it's just your ears" that you mentioned earlier......so you'd probably prefer a modified version of the Harman IEM Curve rather than how it stands now. Sounds like you're not having seal issues.

(On the speaker tuning point, I'm not sure there is a relation to a person's Fletcher Munson Curves and their desired optimal anechoic speaker curve.......my understanding is that the overwhelming preference was for an anechoic flat speaker in the work of Toole.....as you'd kind of expect that you would adapt to your own Fletcher Munson Curve and normal life would sound normal, and therefore an anechoic flat speaker would sound most normal (as all frequencies are being equally represented from the source in just the same way that they would be from sounds emanating from the real world environment around you when you're out in the streets & in the woods just living your life), but I suppose we shouldn't debate or theorize too much on that front, as it is off-topic to the thread.)
The only way to find out is to do what everyone else in the thread is doing...

Anyone have a USB-C dongle recommendation for a Google Pixel 4a 5G? In case the headphone out isn't enough juice.

I hope EQ can recover the 4-7 dB loss in the sub-bass without too much distortion. It looks like they need help below 50 Hz. The Moondrop Variations doesn't have that issue but they also cost 10x.

graph (2).png

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It means that I enjoy the sound and how they are tuned very much and that I can't think of many other options around the same price range with the same tuning and tonality.
I very much enjoy the Harman target and find it to be in the neutral range for me where music sounds correct and enjoyable. The reason I like the Moondrop better is that it has a bass shelf that extends lower and goes slightly above the Harman target. So yes, I do like the Moondrop better, but it's also a fair bit more expensive. I think the Zero is definitely worth the 50USD and I very much enjoy listening to them. I use them over the Variations when I feel like less sub-bass or when I am taking them places I don't want to risk damaging any of my more expensive options.
Have you experimented with EQ to see if you can get these to sound closer to the Variations?

Anton S

I received my Truthear Zeros yesterday afternoon. Never imagined that fifty bucks could cover such a well made little device. Even the packaging punches well above this price range. And the shells possess a luxurious look and feel. Some have knocked the cable as being cheap. Not my take. Looks fine to me, seems able to get the signal intact from Point A to Point B, and has minimal microphonic issues.

After opening the package and installing on the tips that fit me best (the same ones Armin had used for his measurements), I plugged the Zeros directly into my Samsung Note 9 and listened for a while to some hi-res streamed from Qobuz. Plenty of volume on tap. The Zeros are more than sensitive enough to provide ear-splitting levels straight from the phone. Sound with no eq at all was maybe a touch brighter than I'm accustomed to, but without any of the harshness that often comes along with that.

Today, I've been listening to the Zeros at the office with some Qobuz hi-res via my laptop, but with my FiiO BTR5 inserted into the signal path between them. The FiiO is connected to a USB port on the laptop, and is set to "Studio Quality" (no eq). Very nice.

Since my office cans were handy, I did a little back-and-forth swapping on a few songs. My office cans are a modest pair of closed-back Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros, but I've spent some time setting up a custom eq for them in the FiiO, so they sound pretty neutral to me. The overall presentations are quite different, but the Zeros acquitted themselves very nicely.

Color me very happy with this purchase. Thanks for the advice, Armin. :)

AdamG

Forum Donor
I am in a similar boat - decided to buy some SpinFit CP240-L as they seem to be the both wide and deep with the double flange - hopefully a good seal.

I know with the AirPods Pro I could never get a good seal that was comfortable (though Apple Seal test was super useful as I could get some analytics from the "Console log" to show me how far or close I was to a seal with different sizes).
Are you aware of the foam tips for the AirPod pro? I use them and they work wonderfully well. Just FYI: https://a.co/d/fvM8Yv5

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I put spotify equalization on "moar bass" and it was fine, no distortion or anything - ill EQ it a little more once I get new giant ear people tips in tomorrow

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Are you aware of the foam tips for the AirPod pro? I use them and they work wonderfully well. Just FYI: https://a.co/d/fvM8Yv5
I tried them and they didn’t work either - the only thing that fully worked for me with the AirPods Pro were using an adapter and then using a bigger ear tip but then case would not close properly- but I did get a reasonable solution ( not a total seal but nearly ) using the foam from those tips inside the large ones provided by apple!

AdamG

Forum Donor
Just unpacked my new IEM’s. I hooked them up and did a quick test drive. 1st observation is they have the BASS! And that was flat no eq applied. Ran some bass heavy tracks from my special Sub-test playlist and wow. Bass is very detailed and delicate while also being clear and strong. I will give them more ear time and eq them overnight. I listen better in the dark with nothing else to distract me. Will report back and maybe make some completely disregard-able subjective observations and tales or woe and dread. Have your decoder rings at the ready for the transmission of super special secret codes. Everything works at least.

Initial impressions: Excited to play with them tonight. And it’s been a long time since I have said that! :cool:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Will report back and maybe make some completely disregard-able subjective observations and tales or woe and dread.

Nowt wrong with personal subjective impressions on an item such as an iem that has a variable/individual fit that has an effect on perceived sound, we have the data from various sources that all verify the measurement to harman target.

GaryH

Major Contributor
i see your point, but its the fact that they are showing 10 samples which kinda challenges the community to prove it wrong so i wouldnt expect it to be wrong because it would make them look extremely bad. It could happen but the fact that they managed to design a product that performs this well in the first place, makes me think they are not dumb and probably looking to build a solid reputation.
Yeah it would be foolish to cherry-pick 10 samples that are very closely matched when there are more and more people with industry standard measurement rigs these days who could expose that, especially after the previous debacle with another Crinacle collab with KZ...Having said that, it is notable that the unit reviewed here (sent by Crinacle, but I'm not sure if the manufacturer knew) seems to be somewhat of an 'edge-case', with the broadband excess in the upper-mids / treble extending all the way from around 800 Hz to 6 kHz:
Screenshot_20220921_232128.png

...compared to the 10 Crinacle measured (which in his video ad he says were randomly picked from the production line by the manufacturer), the closest match of which, at least in this region, seems to be sample 10, with that same excess restricted to 1-3 kHz:
graph-12.png

This could well be down to difference in measurement rig rather than unit variance (or a bit of both), but in the former case as the set-up on here uses anthropomorphic pinnae whereas Crinacle uses a pinna-less coupler for IEMs, this means his measurements could be less representative of what a human ear would likely hear, and the measurements here could be a better approximation of this, which includes that broadband 2 dB excess deviating from the Harman target between 800 Hz and 6 kHz.

Last edited:
Top Bottom