• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 493 82.2%

• Total voters

Resolve

Reviewer
For example, the Truthear is a bit over target bettween 1 and ~3 kHz, which can make for a somewhat 'shouty' sound, and can be particularly bothersome compared to inaccuracies in other parts of the frequency response
This isn't why, although I can see why you might think that. The reason is that for me, based on my ear canal, Harman IE2019 just doesn't work. It's also less about preference here and more about variation in anatomy and HRTF. So for example, most 'good' IEMs as far as target compliance goes sound shouty and unnatural to me. Also, it's worth checking out the paper on segmentation from Olive, Welti and Khonsaripour: https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=20289 , as well as Design Criteria for Headphones: https://vbn.aau.dk/ws/portalfiles/portal/227875122/1995_M_ller_et_al_AES_Journal_a.pdf

This is extremely important, and often gets missed in these discussions because we just look at deviations from the target and think "that's why you hear it this way". In reality, we shouldn't care as much about strict target compliance, or overly rely on that to explain reports.

RHO

Major Contributor
Yes. Pretty much useless. What do I care what someone else prefers subjectively and vice versa. Won’t help me sh… for any possible purchase decision. Oh well….
Probability is reasonably high that it will be very close to what you like. Having an IEM that hugs the target quite close at a reasonable price gives many the opportunity to find out for themselves how close the target approaches their personal optimum. It makes analyzing objective data easier, since you have a good grasp of what the target curve represents and what you like about it and what you don't like.
Without it you have no reference at al. It doesn't matter what you like. Every purchase is a complete guess.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There can be little rational debate about "overhype" in our shared character flaw (HiFi). Showing performance by measurement and assessing value, (performance/cost) is IMO the appropriate objective response to "overhype". Granted, there are missing components to the value proposition such as longevity and reliability, and debate about if target performance is the Harmon curve or the Kobayashi Maru. Given the knowns of performance and cost/value, overhype happens outside of the objective domain, no?
I don't pair performance and quality with price/value at all, so if p/p is the driving factor then I'm not a suitable participant to rate it.

I understand your point and I agree about the importance of measurement and how it paints a more detailed and faithful picture to evaluate the characteristic. Things like distortion ratio, CSD (headphones), ohm sweep and many more are all helpful and necessary to judge whether it's a good or bad design.
However, I'm on the fence when it comes to the a certain target being viewed and treated as gospel. The way I view is that if we can develop an EQ profile to fix the FR to our desired target, then whether stock tuning is close to that target or not is not such a big deal. And that is a scenario where we already sort of consider all deviations from that target are not desirable.

You make a good point about the relation of "overhype" versus "objectivity". Some products are very hyped without any hints of objective performance or even rationality. The thing is what aspect is one looking for that is big enough for him to hype it? I think that besides FR, there are other aspects that need recognition in order to better understand the product and jump on the hype wagon. With those IEMs tuning very close to the Harman Target that come from China, I am bold enough to assume in the near future we'll be swimming with many other products that are just like that.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probability is reasonably high that it will be very close to what you like. Having an IEM that hugs the target quite close at a reasonable price gives many the opportunity to find out for themselves how close the target approaches their personal optimum. It makes analyzing objective data easier, since you have a good grasp of what the target curve represents and what you like about it and what you don't like.
Without it you have no reference at al. It doesn't matter what you like. Every purchase is a complete guess.
Oh I am all for target and preference curves and their scientific derivation (Toole, Olive et al).
I am just not convinced that people posting individual sighted impressions of their new IEM (or about any other audio device) will have any larger meaning beyond the individuals legitimate joy.
BTW. IEM has been ordered yesterday and I am not concerned at all about it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This isn't why, although I can see why you might think that. The reason is that for me, based on my ear canal, Harman IE2019 just doesn't work. It's also less about preference here and more about variation in anatomy and HRTF. So for example, most 'good' IEMs as far as target compliance goes sound shouty and unnatural to me. Also, it's worth checking out the paper on segmentation from Olive, Welti and Khonsaripour: https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=20289 , as well as Design Criteria for Headphones: https://vbn.aau.dk/ws/portalfiles/portal/227875122/1995_M_ller_et_al_AES_Journal_a.pdf

This is extremely important, and often gets missed in these discussions because we just look at deviations from the target and think "that's why you hear it this way". In reality, we shouldn't care as much about strict target compliance, or overly rely on that to explain reports.
*applause*

Garrincha

Or you could just use these EQs for any of the current IEMs/headphones you already own to know what Harman sounds like for free...
Exactly. What surprise is there to expect if you can EQ almost ever IEM ever since? Just in this case you can use it with your iPhone without Qudelix, maybe.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Exactly. What surprise is there to expect if you can EQ almost ever IEM ever since? Just in this case you can use it with your iPhone without Qudelix, maybe.
Even for iPhone you have Neutron Player which has a fully parametric EQ. It even has all of AutoEQ's profiles pre-loaded (although I prefer Oratory's EQs). $8.99 well spent I'd say.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even for iPhone you have Neutron Player which has a fully parametric EQ. It even has all of AutoEQ's profiles pre-loaded (although I prefer Oratory's EQs). $8.99 well spent I'd say.

Can that player show me my Spotify or other streaming app libraries? I'd love something like that but system wide or at least working with Apple Music/Spotify etc.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh Brother. We are advocating unsighted and controlled ABX listening all year long and now we will see an avalanche of subjective anecdotes rolling our way along with the opiniated infighting about what sounds better and or is preferred. :facepalm:

See Sean Olive. Ca 64% of listeners prefer Harman, the rest deviates. And that is with controlled tests not anecdotal storytelling.
It's true, but we gotta have some subjective reviews from members coming in on this IEM, there is some value to the trend of how much people end up liking it or not liking it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah very weird :confused:, not going to complain though as I’ve just had my notification from Amazon that they’ve been dispatched and will be delivered before 12 noon tmorn.
Thumbs Up!

GaryH

Major Contributor
Can that player show me my Spotify or other streaming app libraries? I'd love something like that but system wide or at least working with Apple Music/Spotify etc.
No in that case the Qudelix would be the best option. It's pretty great, highly recommended.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Or you could just use these EQs for any of the current IEMs/headphones you already own to know what Harman sounds like for free...
True, I could do that or satisfy the dirty little pleasure derived from the anticipation and process of buying a new toy. First the new toy, then adventures in EQ... win/win. (The rationalization of this is absolutely not lost on me... I just choose to ignore it.) :eek:

1663351912408.jpeg

Last edited:

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Wait for the wave of disappointment when people get them and realise they are just decently priced IEMs with a decent amount of bass, not the actual second coming.

I say this as someone with a pair on the way- as I am interested in comparing with IEMs I already own.
The second coming, comedy gold Jimbo! :)

GaryH

Major Contributor
True, I could do that or satisfy the dirty little pleasure derived from the anticipation and process of buying a new toy. First the new toy, then adventures in EQ... win/win.
Well the Qudelix would satisfy both at the same time ;)

Last edited:

Saponetto

I like these IEMs so much, but I usually listen music via my old Little Dot MkII, and I am worried about the impedance.
I don't think it would be a good match with an impedance so low, even if I set the LD at a compliant gain.

nothingman

I happened to see this review when it only had two replies, so I caught it early, immediately purchased (Amazon in US), and have had them since last night. Using an iPhone 13 with a cheap headphone dongle.

They sound basically like the above graph. Wee bit of bloat in the bass, but it’s solidly within personal taste boundaries. Impressive-but-not-altogther-shocking low extension. What’s more noticeable is that it definitely walks the line of being too hot in the 2-5khz region, but again, that feels like nitpicking. The stock response is totally worth the tradeoff for being able to just plug ’em in and go (at least as an iPhone user with no good way to implement system wide PEQ on my Spotify and Tidal streaming).

Comfort, cable materials, microphonics, and build quality appear very positive, but durability will be a mystery for some time.

All in all, and I haven’t tried the Moondrop Chu at $20 (hadn’t ever heard of it before the comments in this thread — I‘ve been out of the IEM game after burning out 10 years ago when I absolutely hated the 8 BA driver customs that were supposed to be my end game), but my jaw is on the floor over this being what $50 buys now. It’s incredible.

RJO

I happened to see this review when it only had two replies, so I caught it early, immediately purchased (Amazon in US), and have had them since last night. Using an iPhone 13 with a cheap headphone dongle.

They sound basically like the above graph. Wee bit of bloat in the bass, but it’s solidly within personal taste boundaries. Impressive-but-not-altogther-shocking low extension. What’s more noticeable is that it definitely walks the line of being too hot in the 2-5khz region, but again, that feels like nitpicking. The stock response is totally worth the tradeoff for being able to just plug ’em in and go (at least as an iPhone user with no good way to implement system wide PEQ on my Spotify and Tidal streaming).

Comfort, cable materials, microphonics, and build quality appear very positive, but durability will be a mystery for some time.

All in all, and I haven’t tried the Moondrop Chu at $20 (hadn’t ever heard of it before the comments in this thread — I‘ve been out of the IEM game after burning out 10 years ago when I absolutely hated the 8 BA driver customs that were supposed to be my end game), but my jaw is on the floor over this being what $50 buys now. It’s incredible.
Totally agree, you described it best in this thread.

Lorenzo74

Wow…the best frequency response from mid bass to > 15 KHz so far…at a great price. Good thing the Topping L50 II HPA is stable to at least 12 ohm, as shown in your review, and it has the power to drive the TCZ. Thank you Amir for this great find and measurements.

Conclusions
What on earth are you doing reading the rest of this review?”

I went and Bought it.
This is the trust ASR has gained.
Those are the reviews we want to see.
Affordable Excellence.
Thank you for what you are doing.

Top Bottom