• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Haruko

i tried every eq there is. it does "fix" the sound in some sense but reveals strange disjoint in instruments especially between highs and mids that i don't really like, whereas the stock tuning somewhat hides it. (at least to me and my ear canals that's how it sounds)

cbracer

Forum Donor
- nozzle could be smaller - it hurts my ears a bit, fit for some people could be strange/problematic
- bass seems to be kinda strange, feels like it's disjointed from rest of the music (?) hard to explain but definitely something is off to me about it
- there could be a bit less treble around 3-5k for my tastes
Yes, Yes and Yes. If the Truthear is the most accurate to the Harman 2019 curve then I can surely say I don't like the Harman 2019 curve! the frequency graphs just don't tell the whole story, no matter how much time you spend looking at crinacle. For some music where the bass notes aren't in the background all the time (think pop, top 40, rock, alternative) then it probably sounds great. But that much bass is distracting. The nozzle is too big for my ears also. Fit wise the small with small bore was the most comfortable but the small with big bore is what I settled on due to the bass. The Truthear produces such good full music, clarity, low distortion and tone there's plenty to like about it.

So I was looking for something similar but with a little less bass. I tried the Moondrop Aria Snow but there was just too much missing and it did have less bass, way too much less. I thought about the Starfield but someone earlier said it has more bass than the Truthear Zero. I don't want to spend $300 although the Blessing 2 might be the right one.

I tried the Moondrop Chu just for fun and it wasn't that great. Found the 7Hz Salnotes Zero to be much better in that cheap $20 price range. I returned the Chu and kept the 7 Hz for a cheap pair, it's pretty good.

Guess I have to EQ like most people, but I play from different devices and share with family so rather not have to keep changing it all the time and manage multiple apps. The price to pay for good sound.....

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DrRobert

Ha, I gave you a like for the funny line (even if I do think EQ is useful)!

I do think EQ is useful as well, but it can be a real pain sometimes. I own 3 pairs of headphones and I have to switch equalization every time I plug a different one.
Sometimes I don't even remember which EQ was the last one I used so I end up checking even if it was already set to the correct one.

Besides, in iOS it isn't so simple, and because of my work I do own multiple computers, so that adds to the inconvenience as well.

I still use it, but I can completely understand why some people are against it.

half_dog

Yes, Yes and Yes. If the Truthear is the most accurate to the Harman 2019 curve then I can surely say I don't like the Harman 2019 curve! the frequency graphs just don't tell the whole story, no matter how much time you spend looking at crinacle. For some music where the bass notes aren't in the background all the time (think pop, top 40, rock, alternative) then it probably sounds great. But that much bass is distracting. The nozzle is too big for my ears also. Fit wise the small with small bore was the most comfortable but the small with big bore is what I settled on due to the bass. The Truthear produces such good full music, clarity, low distortion and tone there's plenty to like about it.

So I was looking for something similar but with a little less bass. I tried the Moondrop Aria Snow but there was just too much missing and it did have less bass, way too much less. I thought about the Starfield but someone earlier said it has more bass than the Truthear Zero. I don't want to spend $300 although the Blessing 2 might be the right one.

I tried the Moondrop Chu just for fun and it wasn't that great. Found the 7Hz Salnotes Zero to be much better in that cheap $20 price range. I returned the Chu and kept the 7 Hz for a cheap pair, it's pretty good.

Guess I have to EQ like most people, but I play from different devices and share with family so rather not have to keep changing it all the time and manage multiple apps. The price to pay for good sound.....
Based on what you have tried, maybe the Moondrop Kato might fits your needs. It has a mid bass that bring some interesting weight without bleeding to mids and a sub bass extension which extends bellow 20Hz without being overwhelming.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Actually Starfields seemed to have better bass to my ears. Not as 'bloated' hard to describe even though graphs show different I would say that bas on Starfields was somehow less stepping into mid range.

I haven't decided if I keep Truthear yet, I ordered it from Amazon so I might be returning them.
I'm thinking about Moondrop Aria now.

Ps. Dca Stealth spoiled me and now every headphone feel like there is something wrong... :(

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't want to spend $300 although the Blessing 2 might be the right one.
Ah yes, same here I don't want to spend that kind of money or something that I'm not using that often.
IEM are not my cup of tea, I use then occasionally.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think I could use any earphone or headphone without EQ because I don't think there will ever be a perfect one. Even the best need small tweaks. It is an inconvenience if you're using multiple devices, so that's where an external box can help you take the EQ with you. If it's multiple headphones on one device, most EQ programs let you save named presets to identify them.

I did more listening today. I would say my EQ is 95% of the way there, but I have a feeling that if I went back to the tone generator with the EQ applied, there's a little bit more refinement possible. I'll do that later.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do think EQ is useful as well, but it can be a real pain sometimes. I own 3 pairs of headphones and I have to switch equalization every time I plug a different one.
Sometimes I don't even remember which EQ was the last one I used so I end up checking even if it was already set to the correct one.

Besides, in iOS it isn't so simple, and because of my work I do own multiple computers, so that adds to the inconvenience as well.

I still use it, but I can completely understand why some people are against it.
Yeah, I always check which EQ I'm using each time too, but it's a small price to pay for a good sounding headphone.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just wasted $50 on these…
Is that because you didn't need another set of IEM's or there was something wrong with them for you?

misureaudio

I'm using them.
An incredible bargain for sure.
As Amir wrote, nearly a must if one wants a reference iem to help evaluate tonal balance.

I maintain a preference for a slightly warmer tonal balance when actually listening to my favourite music.
Of course just slight adjustements are needed to achieve what I like better.

All in all, a success story.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I just wasted $50 on these…
When you return them or sell them (probably many takers) you can make the financial loss a LOT less.
They are only a waste of money when you do not use them or bin them.

You could also see the $ 50.- as tuition money... you may have learned this is not for you and maybe be glad you did not buy a + $100 IEM.

I did not buy one (and saved me some money) because I know IEM is not for me. Regardless how positive others may be about them. Besides I have plenty of references and good sounding headphones.

Top Bottom