• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

lazarian

Sorry if this has been done already in this thread, I haven't found it.
Can someone that owns the Expanse or Stealth side by side between that and the Zero? I'd be interested to hear if there's much audible difference between the Harman In ear vs Over ear targets as both units hit fairly close to them.

I suppose the in ear target is more likely to be impacted by variances in each persons HRTF, hence more differences in what people hear as shouty vs not?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They only sound 'shouty' if I play something with shouting in it. They also sound 'screamy' when I play something like this...

Must confess I havent used mine that much- but at the minute just EQ below 100 hz. MIght give them a good listen tonight with a bit of volume and see if I get the shouty thing.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Argghhh, I'm done with sticking stuff in my ears! lol I've tried all the tips and I just don't like the sensation, and they do make my ears itchy if worn for long periods, with some soreness......so back to headphones. I might use them occasionally for travelling though, and they do sound good with & without EQ, and might get some occasional use when comparing against other headphones. I just don't like IEM's, mainly for the comfort, but also soundstage not quite as good - don't regret it though, interesting experiment, and they'll get occasional use!

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I only have issues with IEMs where they often get grating trable and shouty midrange. This IEM, Moondrop Chu, all 6 different KZs that I've bought (including the one with crinacle collab), Tin Audio T2 and T3 all have similar issues. I don't think its due to Harman target since my other headphones that follows the target sound good to my ears (HD660S, EQ'd ZX110, Brainwavz HM5, Verum One MK2, Monolith M1060, Audeze LCD2 pre-fazor). The only IEM that doesn't have these issues for me is Tin Audio P1. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain the physics behind this.
The P1 is way below the Harman target above about 1600 Hz, so that is probably the reason. I'm not an audiologist, but since over-ear phones don't affect you the same way, I suspect it is due to the shape and volume of your ear canals.

julian_hughes

I'm listening to Renaissance vocal music right now, which a poster above claimed would be harsh, with or without the magic of equalization. I'm listening without equalization to Josquin des Prez's Missa Pange lingua,
I mentioned one very specific recording, not a genre in general. And it's not the same recording you are listening to! I will now use the power of suggestion: I suggest your misunderstanding and/or misrepresentation of my post is a very lame way to frame your own opinion.

McLenin

Mine arrived on Friday, didn`t have much time to try them out properly, but the few songs I heard through them were very clean sounding. I like them even without EQ. Will have to give them a good listen tonight.
So far I am happy with them, my first IEMs also, a bit uncomfortable in the ears, but I guess I just need to get to used to them.

Thanks again Amir for the review!

P.S. I never knew what this ''Waifu'' stuff is, had to look it up, but I did no find the cover offensive. Even showed it to my wife, and she said it is weird for headphone packaging, but nothing crazy ;]

RandomEar

I only have issues with IEMs where they often get grating trable and shouty midrange. This IEM, Moondrop Chu, all 6 different KZs that I've bought (including the one with crinacle collab), Tin Audio T2 and T3 all have similar issues. I don't think its due to Harman target since my other headphones that follows the target sound good to my ears (HD660S, EQ'd ZX110, Brainwavz HM5, Verum One MK2, Monolith M1060, Audeze LCD2 pre-fazor). The only IEM that doesn't have these issues for me is Tin Audio P1. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain the physics behind this.
Well, all those headphones which are fine don't seem to be IEMs. And look at that response curve for the P1 compared to the Zero - it barely has any treble bump and is super "dark" above 8 kHz. I'd say you definitely do not prefer the Harman in ear target, but you may be OK with the over ear variant.

I'm in the same boat. I've tried some Harman-ish IEMs in the past months and they all sound super shrill and tinny to me. I also was a bit dissapointed after reading this review and all the positive responses, because I know that the Zero is a well tuned IEM and I would have loved to get one. But it will sound like shit to me and there's nothing I can do about that.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Our impressions also will differ greatly because we're all listening to different content. You have to listen to something revealing of the entire frequency spectrum. Music that has a lot of empty space is not good demo material for tonality. You may find something like laid-back jazz or solo piano to sound good, then you put on something busier like a modern pop rock song or movie soundtrack music (which are technically closer to pink noise in spectral terms) and you finally hear the issues you were missing in the low bass and upper midrange. This is the smoke test - the goal is to see whether it holds up under stress.

Last edited:

mga2009

Not an expert here, as this is my first IEMs... but after trying every EQ here I still find them very shouty.

I am not saying they are bad, not at all... they seem very, very capable, especially in the bass and sub bass... but it seems these are not for everyone's taste.

For USD$50 is a great way to test if IEMs with Harman curve is for you, also, If you have the knowledge you can tune the curve to your taste (I am not there yet).

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Not an expert here, as this is my first IEMs... but after trying every EQ here I still find them very shouty.

I am not saying they are bad, not at all... they seem very, very capable, especially in the bass and sub bass... but it seems these are not for everyone's taste.

For USD$50 is a great way to test if IEMs with Harman curve is for you, also, If you have the knowledge you can tune the curve to your taste (I am not there yet).
To apply EQ to these IEM’s all you need is one of these: (Once you have one and start using the App it becomes much easier to apply all the suggested PEQ filter sets. Or to create your own custom set that sounds best to you). Best $100 bucks I ever spent!

Qudelix-5k
https://a.co/d/iyLWVCx

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in the same boat. I've tried some Harman-ish IEMs in the past months and they all sound super shrill and tinny to me. I also was a bit dissapointed after reading this review and all the positive responses, because I know that the Zero is a well tuned IEM and I would have loved to get one. But it will sound like shit to me and there's nothing I can do about that.
What I've learned is that you just need hardware that is capable, and comfort. Once you have that, you can EQ to make it sound like just about anything you want. The EQ I created used Maiky's to start, then fine-tuned with a tone generator to identify the locations of resonant peaks, which confirmed his EQ matched Harman 2019, but didn't go far enough for audible tonal balance. Then, I did hours of listening with filters attacking the resonances. I didn't go for perfection, but for the moment when the goosebumps popped and it all snapped into place. The result is that it sounds close to my neutral reference home theater system (minus the surround sound and small variances in the highs), in something I can take with me on the road. I would not hesitate to buy these based on stock tuning, because they have the build quality and nice looks, which are things that you cannot change.

Last edited:

mga2009

To apply EQ to these IEM’s all you need is one of these: (Once you have one and start using the App it becomes much easier to apply all the suggested PEQ filter sets. Or to create your own custom set that sounds best to you). Best $100 bucks I ever spent!

Qudelix-5k
https://a.co/d/iyLWVCx
Thanks for the info! Actually I use my headphones on my laptop, so I use Equalizer APO for my eq needs, it's just perfect and easy to use.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Our impressions also will differ greatly because we're all listening to different content. You have to listen to something revealing of the entire frequency spectrum. Music that has a lot of empty space is not good demo material for tonality. You may find something like laid-back jazz or solo piano to sound good, then you put on something busier like a modern pop rock song or movie soundtrack music (which are technically closer to pink noise in spectral terms) and you finally hear the issues you were missing in the low bass and upper midrange. This is the smoke test - the goal is to see whether it holds up under stress.

There's a link to the same list on Tidal somewhere, but I don't have it handy as I don't use Tidal anymore.

Kevbaz

I’ve had these for a day now and they are fantastic. Below is my summary listening to a variety of music and genre on iPad, Qobuz using Apple dongle.

1. I Prefer these to my JBL club Pro, Panasonics EQd, Campfirw Holocene, Moondrop Blessing2. These are my main use IEMs now for music around the house and YouTube in bed.
2. Swapped out the supplied tips with Spinfit CP155-S as these seem comfier.
3. They sound amazing great neutral sound and good bass extension.
4. I like the cable, not bulky, low micro phonics, and looks nice.
5. I like to look of the IEM and feels well made.

All the above seems amazing for 50 quid, fantastic value.
Looking forward to more budget IEMs tested and anymore that Truthears produce.
Kev
A week in with these now and still love them, I’ve changed the tips for Spinfit CP155 medium size which seems comfier.
These remind me of my days when I had a very good car stereo, DLS mid/tweeter with Hifonics 12” sub in back :) lots of low end, rumble, slam and good mid/top end. All very balanced and pleasing.
I don’t find them shouty at all like some people are saying, just good balanced sound with the great low end.
Kev

julian_hughes

I like to listen to several different tracks with new hardware. Some old school rock/pop (Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, Wings), one electronic bass heavy (X-Press 2), some consort music with vocals (Red Byrd with Catherine King) and a piano concerto (Rachmaninov, Ashkenazy, Haitink, Concertgebouw). I've listened to them all hundreds of times on all kinds of stuff, know exactly what to expect, and if each of those sound good then I don't think I'm going to get any nasty surprises with any genre or style. Nothing beats listening over time but I feel confident I have a good checklist that lets me immediately hear any deficiency that isn't subtle.

Try this EQ against the Harman 2016 target curve that I found in the autoEQ project repo. It should sound less shouty and you might like it.
Preamp: -1.8 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 1.8 dB Q 0.800
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 300 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 2.000
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 600 Hz Gain 1.1 dB Q 1.600
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1300 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 1.900
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3100 Hz Gain 0.9 dB Q 2.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4300 Hz Gain -3.1 dB Q 0.500
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 14000 Hz Gain -3.7 dB Q 2.000

1664730568333.png

1664730697982.png

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

usern

Slaying the shouty dragon

The following EQ was developed with the small-bore silicone tips. I listened to the foam tips afterward and they definitely push the balance further toward the bass and reduce the highs. If using foam, I would take 1 dB or so off of both bass filters below. Of course this is the most subjective part, so do experiment with this.

I spent 3 hours going back and forth between Crinacle's EQ tool, downloading to Wavelet, and listening to music. My reference tracks are full-range movie soundtracks and spectrally-dense, well-recorded rock and pop music. All frequencies are represented in the mix. This EQ will fix the bass balance by reducing the midbass emphasis and extending the bass response to 20 Hz. I didn't take it blindly to the Harman target – since the highs were altered, you can't know what the overall balance will sound like unless you listen. It's all relative. Most importantly, this EQ will eliminate the shoutiness of the upper midrange. It will sound balanced, and the headphones will disappear. If you have never experienced the bass that well-integrated subs can provide, here is your chance to get a preview.

You know you're close on the EQ when the goosebumps come...

Here is the input I used on the Crinacle site to generate the EQ:

Code:
Preamp: -2.4 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 1.000
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 85 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 1.000
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1050 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 2.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2500 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 0.850
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4800 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 2.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 7300 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 4.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 10500 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 3.000
I like this EQ. Using foam tips, but I like darker sound in general so fits me. I cannot get good seal with any silicone tips so they all sound bad. But this EQ + even more boosted bass with low shelf is what I use.

GaryH

Major Contributor
One thing this thread demonstrates beyond any shadow of a doubt: ASR is regrettably just as susceptible to the power of suggestion and and the perils of group think as any other.
Totally agree. I mean the fact that pretty much everyone who initially jumped on the Truthear hype-train, but then were persuaded to get off and actually preferred destination Maiky's EQ Mount (very close to Harman Hill, just within walking distance), realized the real truth was the Stock Truthear Train isn't all it's cracked up to be and chose not to get back on, speaks volumes (even after -3.9 dB preamp gain).

Disclaimer: I'm a professional classical musician, with many years of playing in professional orchestras, and as a result I have light hearing damage (incuding faint tinnitus)
And there it is. The probable main reason behind all this: hearing loss. From the Wikipedia entry on NIHL (noise-induced hearing loss):
NIHL is generally observed to decrease hearing sensitivity in the higher frequencies, also called an audiometric notch, especially at 4000 Hz, but sometimes at 3000 or 6000 Hz.
Which just so happens to be around the frequencies the Truthear Zero is elevated above the Harman target. Noise-induced tinnitus may also mask this elevation. Then there is presbycusis i.e. age-related hearing loss. Figure (a) below from his book shows Floyd Toole's own hearing thresholds over the years, and figure (b) shows the poor hearing thresholds of people with high variability (poor performance) in sound quality judgements, which is positively correlated with age:

Screenshot_20221002_145556.png

As can be seen above, Toole's hearing ability has significantly deteriorated with age in the upper midrange / treble (again covering the Truthear's elevated region), and that's a good-case scenario, as he says:
my deterioration was less than the population average presbycusis for age 60

And this age-related hearing loss influences treble preference, as Sean Olive has shown with his blind headphone listening tests:

Screenshot_20221002-161344_Acrobat for Samsung.png

I suspect if people's hearing ability was plotted against how 'shouty' they find the Truthear, there would be a positive correlation (and by extension an inverse correlation with age). So, if you're a younger listener with good hearing ability, you're likely to find the Truthear Zero shouty due to its elevation above the Harman target around the frequencies the ear is most sensitive, but if you're an older listener and/or with noise-induced hearing loss and/or tinnitus, you probably won't notice this shoutiness, because you likely have impaired ability to hear this elevated region of the Truthear's response.

Last edited:
Top Bottom