• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
An IEM is not as good as a headphone and a headphone is not as good as a speaker. Each one though can do something the other can't do. Headphones for example can have flat response to 10 Hz or even lower. It is next to impossible to do that with speakers. An IEM can play incredibly loud and clean with very little power compared to a headphone. So nothing about my recommendation is that an IEM goes outside of the bounds of what it can do. If an IEM doesn't do it for you, this won't either.
That's a perfect disclaimer to add to each IEM review.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a perfect disclaimer to add to each IEM review.
I'm a bit disappointed to hear the viewpoint that an IEM can't be as good as a headphone (ultimately). I mean I'll be keeping an open mind when my Crinacle Zero arrives.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Memory Foam Tips are the way! Best isolation and best bass. Imho. I even use them on my AirPod pros.

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just got my pair straight from Big Rock Cadmium Mountain and they do live up to the measurements. They have the same tonality as my floor system but with more conventional stereo imaging and no sub (edit: Oops! It’s possible to hook one up backwards out of phase! Ah that makes more sense now that they have the same bass response as my FD5’s but without the hump). Since they are IEMs the imaging is more myopic just due to their nature. Still, the fact they can get this tonality for the cost of a few quarter pounder meals at McDonalds is astonishing. Great for taking your “sound” on the go with just a cellphone.

Last edited:

whazzup

From a user on Amazon, could be an issue for some:
What I DIDN'T like was how large the sound tunnel was that holds the ear tip. I have medium sized ears and most always use medium sized ear tips. These headphones definitely made me ear cavities hurt after an hour of wear and they didn't stay in very well either. I was constantly having to push them back in to get a good seal. I love the sound and can usually put up with a little annoyance on earbuds, but the soreness was too much to deal with.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Memory Foam Tips are the way! Best isolation and best bass. Imho. I even use them on my AirPod pros.

I find that as well, with all the buds I use. If I can get memory foam for them I do.

GaryH

Major Contributor
I find that as well, with all the buds I use. If I can get memory foam for them I do.
Except they muffle the treble. Custom-molded IEMs are the real deal - passive isolation that rivals ANC, and amazing comfort that means they just kind of disappear in your ears.

Last edited:

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Except they muffle the treble. Custom-molded IEMs are the real deal - passive isolation that rivals some ANC models, and amazing comfort that means they just kind of disappear in your ears.

How fancy, I didn't even know that was a thing.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I was measured once yearly for hearing suppression devices or whatever they are called. They fit the ear and equalize the frequency response so you can chat a person but not go deaf from noise. They work superb.

Garrincha

I'm a bit disappointed to hear the viewpoint that an IEM can't be as good as a headphone (ultimately). I mean I'll be keeping an open mind when my Crinacle Zero arrives.
As far as I know and have experienced, there is no IEM that is able to generate a big soundstage like for example the Sennheiser HD 800 is able to provide.

Keened

Forum Donor
From a user on Amazon, could be an issue for some:

I often have this problem with IEMs, I can only suggest two things: dual material ear tips (Final, Spin, etc, a firm center to keep the canal open and still into the ear at a minimum diameter increase and a soft outer shell to seal and conform) and another anchoring point (forward hooks are my favorite but rarely offered) so you don't need to cram them in there just for the physical support.

It's fancy mostly because you have to pay a stupid amount of money to an audiologist to get your canal scanned. Mixed infrared and THz (?) scanning can produce an image cheaply per scan so that should be changing soon. Once metal/ceramic 3D printing is commercially feasible en masse, or the last generation of enclosed high temp plastic printers trickles down further in the market, it becomes pretty cheap to print a silicone injection molding and I wouldn't be suprised to see it become a common option.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Yes, I was measured once yearly for hearing suppression devices or whatever they are called. They fit the ear and equalize the frequency response so you can chat a person but not go deaf from noise. They work superb.

I don't use IEMs or headphones for music very much (or have not to date). Just a quick search and the process looks quite pricey unfortunately. I would rather have Pizza 60 times.....:)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use IEMs or headphones for music very much (or have not to date). Just a quick search and the process looks quite pricey unfortunately. I would rather have Pizza 60 times.....:)
Lol... I use headphones for several hours a day. It's time to upgrade.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can kill two birds with one.... phone.

maxresdefault.jpg

MayaTlab

I suspect this will lead a lot of people here who've rushed out to buy it somewhat disappointed, and worse, cause them to falsely believe this IEM is what the actual Harman target sounds like, and that their preferences don't match that target.

I see that you're back to your usual harassing form here @GaryH.

The above is no more misleading than to believe that EQing IEMs to such a nitpicking degree of precision will actually deliver the same FR that the listening panel experienced during Harman's various tests, as anyone who's actually EQed two different IEMs to a target according to ear simulator measurements performed with other samples can easily attest ("they still don't sound the exact same, how come ?").

Between issues such as :

- seal / leakage :
Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 07.47.54.png

- lack of a constant transfer function between ear simulators for IEMs, to a degree that largely exceeds the degree you're nitpicking about, whether between different pinnae or different couplers entirely :

- the well known issue of high-frequencies resonances varying with insertion depth, and more importantly the difficulty to predict how deeply different people will actually be able to physically insert and position different IEMs :
IE900_-_711_coupler_-_silicone_eartips.gif

From Oratory1990

- combined, for active headphones with a feedback mechanism, with the variation in ratio between the feedback range, where the SPL will stay constant regardless of insertion depth, and the range above where it will vary,

- sample variation, which can span a spectrum from negligible issue to quite an important one (the TRUTHEAR looks pretty decent but might already reach the degree you're nitpicking about : https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/truthear-x-crinacle-zero/)

it is utterly pointless to be nitpicking about 1 or 2 dB here or there for IEM measurements, and quite misleading to think that EQing IEMs to such a degree of precision to the Harman IE target will successfully deliver to anyone's eardrum what the listening panels actually experienced on average during Harman's own testing.

In addition to issues with the IEM Harman target in the first place, which was arrived at with fewer controls for various variables than the over-ears one, and, as a result, is a less foolproof exercise anyway, for example leading this alternative target to be strictly equally preferred by both trained and untrained listeners, to the "official" IE target, in Harman's 2017 article (https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19237) :

Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 08.08.18.png

Which deviates from the IE target by the tune of... 1-2dB in various places.

What you're asking both from ear simulator measurements and from Harman's - or others - research in target preferences is a degree of precision that they simply can't realistically reach.

Cars-N-Cans

As far as I know and have experienced, there is no IEM that is able to generate a big soundstage like for example the Sennheiser HD 800 is able to provide.
That's my experience as well. I would imagine that stems from the lack of any interaction with the pinnae since they are directly in the ear canal, but how much that impacts the experience may vary from person to person. I just got a pair of these and the tonality is definitely there, but the imaging is more confined than what I get with speakers in the nearfield and large planars.

Garrincha

That's my experience as well. I would imagine that stems from the lack of any interaction with the pinnae since they are directly in the ear canal, but how much that impacts the experience may vary from person to person. I just got a pair of these and the tonality is definitely there, but the imaging is more confined than what I get with speakers in the nearfield and large planars.
I, funnily, after having bought a few IEMs, got today my used HD 800, and with EQ it is just soo good. I like IEMs, but this......

Top Bottom