• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

khensu

Curiosity got the best of me, so even though I have the Truthear zero, I just ordered the Khan as well.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what that is, but I can imagine. Either way, if the Khans are as good as the zero, at least I'll have a good backup set.
Sorry about the inside joke.. I have no need for IEM, don't use these much, except when travelling. I have 2 (pairs of) TCZ and love it/them, enough to have bought close to a dozen to gift to business associates, customers and audiophile (or not) friends ... I have tended to buy on impulse some inexpensive items, when recommended by ASR (below $100.oo) even If I don't need them; ordered recently a Vu-meter with absolutely no need for it.. ... I am not far from pulling the trigger on that one IEM too.. The mantra: "I am not buying this time, I am NOT buying this time, I don't need it " ... etc... but usually succumb and end up purchasing ... I will wait for review, I am strong-willed that way :cool:.. but at $30.oo, and if I can validate the FR curves ... why not? :(.. See? :D

We're living very interesting times: Audibly Transparent DAC at <$10.oo, Powerful (>200 wpc), transparent stereo amplifier with inaudible THD for less than $500.oo. Raspberry Pi-based system capable of running sophisticated EQ program while streaming music at <$100.oo (Yes , Pi + Volumio with Camilla DSP), Very good, powered speakers at less than $500.oo pair (List is long I'll name my JBL LSR308 and LSR 305, and Adam T5V, etc...) Good measurements microphone, at circa $100.oo (UMik-1 and similar , e.g Parts Express UMM-6)... Free powerful software ( I suggest donation nevertheless, so much works are in these software) e,g, REW, Camilla DSP, Multi Subwoofer Optimizer (MSO), etc...
It is perfectly possible now to assemble a full range room filling stereo system for less than $2500,oo, and to me the most spectacular bargain in Audio: Less than $60.oo, for a SOTA IEM system: Apple Dongle at $7.95 + TCZ at $50.oo ..
Wow!

Peace.

Last edited:

6sigma

Forum Donor
Audibly Transparent DAC at <$10.oo, Powerful (>200 wpc), transparent stereo amplifier with inaudible THD for less than $500.oo.
I like your suggestions for speakers, streamer, etc. For the DAC and the amp, did you have specific makes/models in mind?

Thanks

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Brilliant!
I bought iems for almost $1k a few years ago and even with eq wont match this.

@amirm one of the criticisms of this iem is that although tonally correct, it misses out on "detail retrieval/resolution" compared to more expensive iems. Is there any truth to this?
Chiming in on this: I had a $1600 JH Audio Lola that I preferred to the Layla, Roxanne, and flagships by Westone, Campfire, 64, and Shure.

The JH Audio Lola was my favorite, and now I have sold it and own the Truthear Zero. There is zero sense of lack of detail. Sure and Etymotic I have could be called clearer or more detailed, but I hear all the details on the Zero, it just has correct bass and mid-range instead of not quite enough bass and mid-range coloration.

I think lalc of detail often means lack of extra treble energy.

I do miss the bass tuning on the Lola though, and wish the isolation was better on the Zero.

markanini

Major Contributor
I do miss the bass tuning on the Lola though, and wish the isolation was better on the Zero.
1683115294506.png

This suggest you prefer more upper bass, TE0 has a characteristic dip in that range. If you like how TE0 does details you could look at other Truthear and Moondrop(same engineers) products, they will be pretty consistent in this area.

It's the Zero with slightly more bass and the upper mid rise pushed back slightly, which makes it a bit less shouty/forward. Slightly- it's very similar. I prefer it over the Zero, although my Zero has channel imbalance with reduced bass on one side, so the Khan is more for me maybe than most. I think Hi-Fri did a teardown and they looked identical inside, both the drivers and the crossover.

View attachment 281123
Thanks for the reply. Not sure thats worth buying them then...the main thing about the Zeros I like is I seem to be able to boost the subbass significantly without introducing mud or distortion (totally anecdotal claim here). So with EQ my Zeros are basically what you just posted for the Kahn lol

Although I would be curious about better fitment. If they are anything like the Qkz Hbb single DD set then NOPE lol those are so uncomfortable.

khensu

Thanks for the reply. Not sure thats worth buying them then...the main thing about the Zeros I like is I seem to be able to boost the subbass significantly without introducing mud or distortion (totally anecdotal claim here). So with EQ my Zeros are basically what you just posted for the Kahn lol

Although I would be curious about better fitment. If they are anything like the Qkz Hbb single DD set then NOPE lol those are so uncomfortable.
I recently picked up the Khans. Also have the TCZ. The sound is similar, but the Khans have noticeably more bass. Sometimes it’s a bit too much, but when it is, a drop of a couple dB will take care of it. As for fitment, I find both to be very comfortable. Compared to the Moondrop Chu, for example, which also sound good, but are very uncomfortable.

Blorg

They both fit me fine but they are very similar. Nozzle dimensions are identical, and quite wide (5.7 / 6.7mm on the lip) which some people have issues with. Not as big as something like the Blessing 2 / Variations but on the wide side.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the "project red" mystery is solved: the "Truthear x Crinacle Zero: Red" is a re-tuned Zero with less shout, more mid shelf, more subbass focus and an optional "Bass+" mode/switch to increase bass. Guessing some +10% price increase would make it 55 usd?

graph (5).png

Or putting the original Zero as reference, comparatively, the Red Bass+ is a tilt down, warmer version.

graph (6).png

Red looks more brown if that is the final color.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/126ga63
7gk2twvjlvqa1.jpg

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the "project red" mystery is solved: the "Truthear x Crinacle Zero: Red" is a re-tuned Zero with less shout, more mid shelf, more subbass focus and an optional "Bass+" mode/switch to increase bass. Guessing some +10% price increase would make it 55 usd?

View attachment 284443

Or putting the original Zero as reference, comparatively, the Red Bass+ is a tilt down, warmer version.

View attachment 284447

View attachment 284449
Think I like the look of the frequency response of the original better.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Think I like the look of the frequency response of the original better.
With Bass+ disabled, Red should be a more "mid centric version" comparatively.

khensu

Interesting, but not enough to purchase if you've already got the original, IMO.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW Red without Bass+ looks almost identical to the also Crinacle-tuned 7Hz Salnotes Zero, which I own 2 and love. This is making the Red more and more tempting...
(I don't need another pair of IEMs, I don't need another pair of IEMs, I don't need another pair of IEMs, I don't need another pair of IEMs, I don't need another pair of IEMs...)

graph (7).png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW Red without Bass+ looks almost identical to the also Crinacle-tuned 7Hz Salnotes Zero, which I own 2 and love. This is making the Red more and more tempting...
(I don't need another pair of IEMs, I don't need another pair of IEMs, I don't need another pair of IEMs, I don't need another pair of IEMs, I don't need another pair of IEMs...)

View attachment 284474
What is interesting to me is that its pretty clear with Red and the Salnotes Zero he was aiming at his 2020 IEF neutral target with a bass shelf (see first pic below)

graph (5).png

Yet both have a fairly noticeable deficiency in the 1-2k region when compared to his new 2023 target (with bass boost)

graph (6).png

I suppose future collabs will probably head towards the new target- as a differentiator from the current crop.

EDIT money says that the in development B3 Dusk is @crinacle first collab that tracks the 2023 ief (plus bass shelf) more than the 2020.

Last edited:

asrUser

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With Bass+ disabled, Red should be a more "mid centric version" comparatively.
Your graphs are already with Bass+ disabled, I think I've worked that out from your posts.

VQR

View attachment 284443

View attachment 284447

View attachment 284449
Essentially this looks like a sidegrade depending on if you want less midrange. This seems tailored for the people who prefered to EQ some midrange reduction on their stock TxC Zero. I wonder if the bass on the Red will vary due to impedence swings like the TxC Zero?

Top Bottom