• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any suggestions on EQ settings that worked for you for this IEM?
I used Maiky76's EQ that he did based on Amir's measurement and it slightly improved the IEM, removed some shoutiness, here's his EQ:
I'd probably recommend you don't use his Filter #7, as it's not particularly valid EQ practice to put such a sharp narrow filter that high up the frequency response as it's relatively unlikely that there will be a peak there when people listen to it. I used his EQ without Filter #7.

markanini

Major Contributor
I found the AutoEQ based off Crinacles measurement to be good in combination with the treble-adjustment down to Oratory1990s target.

I ignored filters 5 and 10. Set filter 1 to whatever you feel like.

The notch to the treble can be found here, I ignored the bass boost of this target.
In a similar spirit I suggest EQing to Harman first, either Maiky76's preset or AutoEQs.
Next add the two bands specified below, and adjust the gain of each to your preference.
1675708714041.png

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried all of the suggestion. The one closest to what I perceive to be normal tonality was the e Harman 2019 from AutoEQ with two additional bands @markanini suggested, but I pulled 3776 a bit more down (-5db).

Now listening to music again, removed 105hz band all together as it was making bass too strong.

khensu

I tried all of the suggestion. The one closest to what I perceive to be normal tonality was the e Harman 2019 from AutoEQ with two additional bands @markanini suggested, but I pulled 3776 a bit more down (-5db).

Now listening to music again, removed 105hz band all together as it was making bass too strong.
Agreed. I also removed the 105Hz band, but left the 3776Hz where it is. This is the best I’ve heard so far.

FlyingFreak

Hi there,

I got a pair of those cause I spent too much time on this forum ... and am now confronted to the fact that my beloved Westone UM2 are really terrible sounding lil things.
However, in terms of comfort, the UM2 with their tiny canal is sooooooo much better than those large ones on the zeros. Is that a necessary evil for good sounding IEM or are there great sounding ones with a (much) thinner profile?

And could anyone kindly show me the way to learn how to EQ headphones from a Mac (like a video or a page showing step by step for a technophobe?). Thanks!

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is the a dongle decent quality that works with android without workarounds, i know this must be the case since my nx4 works flawlessly with android
I bought the Musiland MU1 and later the MU2 MkIII. You can find Amir's reviews of the MU1 and some other Musiland dongles in this site's review index. They all get recommended status. My ones work fine with Android, from Android 8 to 13 so far. The MU2 MkIII is my preference as it has extremely low power draw, has 4 output settings as well as volume control, and works nicely with everything from a sensitive IEM to my Sennheiser HD650.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I measured my Zero's nozzle diameter and got 6.9 mm. Ordered a set of Spinfit CP155 to use with them. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I measured my Zero's nozzle diameter and got 6.9 mm. Order a set of Spinfit CP155 to use with them. I'll keep you posted.
They fit the barrel well. Cant guarantee the cones fit your ears of course.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mailed SonicFoam to tell them that their SF1 tips did not fit the Zero's back in October. The mailed me a couple of weeks ago to say that they've released the SF0 which will fit the Zero's (I haven't bought them because I have enough of the Cambridge Audio tips to last me a while)...

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I measured my Zero's nozzle diameter and got 6.9 mm. Ordered a set of Spinfit CP155 to use with them. I'll keep you posted.
The SpinFits work nicely with both my ears and the Zeros. I think one should get six pair for $11.49 + tax & shipping however.

julian_hughes

I mailed SonicFoam to tell them that their SF1 tips did not fit the Zero's back in October. The mailed me a couple of weeks ago to say that they've released the SF0 which will fit the Zero's (I haven't bought them because I have enough of the Cambridge Audio tips to last me a while)...

I bought some SonicFoam SF1 and with a little determination they do fit well on the Truthear. Just got to use your thumb and a bit of force. The advantage is that the same SF1 set also fits pretty much every other IEM I have except those with really narrow nozzles like Shure.

At the moment I have a pair on my Truthear Zero and a pair on my Moondrop Kato and these seem like really good memory foam tips. Massively cheaper than Comply and actually cheaper than proper memory foam tips from aliexpress (not cheaper than the plain foam ones naturally). A few years ago I tried INAIRS foam tips from amazon and they split and disintegrated in mere days, on occasion just pushing them onto the right size nozzle split them! The SonicFoams seem rather better and I'll update the thread after some real use as I noticed several people asking about good quality foams for the Truthears in this thread.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought some SonicFoam SF1 and with a little determination they do fit well on the Truthear. Just got to use your thumb and a bit of force. The advantage is that the same SF1 set also fits pretty much every other IEM I have except those with really narrow nozzles like Shure.

At the moment I have a pair on my Truthear Zero and a pair on my Moondrop Kato and these seem like really good memory foam tips. Massively cheaper than Comply and actually cheaper than proper memory foam tips from aliexpress (not cheaper than the plain foam ones naturally). A few years ago I tried INAIRS foam tips from amazon and they split and disintegrated in mere days, on occasion just pushing them onto the right size nozzle split them! The SonicFoams seem rather better and I'll update the thread after some real use as I noticed several people asking about good quality foams for the Truthears in this thread.

I did manage to get one of the SF1's onto my Zero's, but I wasn't happy with the amount of force and effort required. They do work nicely on my Moondrop Starfields and MeeAudio P1's, so I kept them.

I also used the Inairs when I was commuting every day, but as you say, the quality wasn't great and I found that they lost their memory effect very quickly (about half the time of Comply).

zachary80

I just received one and it is somewhat bass-heavy for me, even though I do tend to prefer tuning my EQ towards Harman Target. Do any of the tips make this better or worse, or what would be a better option? My other IEM is a Massdrop+.

zachary80

I voted great because it’s only $50 and bought two as gifts.

I don’t like these at all, primarily for poor fit and secondarily for poor sound.

The problem that I have reported is a subjective dynamic range compression where what sounds like detail at first is actually lack of dynamic range. Head to head against other speakers, they need a disproportionate amount of volume, so I think the highs are getting compressed which then makes you turn up the volume which then causes the low level content to be louder but unnatural.

But it’s still reasonable for the price.
Any idea how we could quantify this? I feel like I'm hearing something similar, basically dynamics compression. I've only heard it on some planars before but I have no idea what's going on or if it is just me.

julian_hughes

I just received one and it is somewhat bass-heavy for me, even though I do tend to prefer tuning my EQ towards Harman Target. Do any of the tips make this better or worse, or what would be a better option? My other IEM is a Massdrop+.
Easiest thing, if your player supports it, is to use EQ to reduce the bass. Clearly you have decent fit so tips won't make a huge difference except to comfort. The Truthears don't need a huge change, maybe about 3 dB reduction between 50 and 100 Hz will do it for you.

Oso Polar

What is your source? These IEMs have very low impedance, so they are very sensitive to the impedance of the source. E.g. for me they sound normal with Qudelix-5K but have elevated bass with regular laptop headphone jack. There were other persons in this thread that reported similar experience.

zachary80

What is your source? These IEMs have very low impedance, so they are very sensitive to the impedance of the source. E.g. for me they sound normal with Qudelix-5K but have elevated bass with regular laptop headphone jack. There were other persons in this thread that reported similar experience.
They are worse out of my Samsung S9 than out of my D50/THX789 but I was planning on using them direct out of many devices. With the wider bore tips they do sound a bit better than the narrower ones

markanini

Major Contributor
They are worse out of my Samsung S9 than out of my D50/THX789 but I was planning on using them direct out of many devices. With the wider bore tips they do sound a bit better than the narrower ones

Couldn't find the S9's audio impedance, Amir measured the S8+ at 3 Ohm.
1676443186798.png

Possible second an third causes:
The tips aren't a good fit and compress in you ear canals.
Harman bass shelf at 105Hz might be a lower frequency, or a steeper slope, compared to what you are used to hearing with speakers in a room. For that reason the bass is disjointed and comes off as elevated.

Top Bottom