• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

markanini

Major Contributor
As I already pointed out above, in popular music tuning down half a step or more is extremely common, usually to accommodate the singer's vocal range, and sometimes as a creative choice. In a band with a bass guitar (i.e. pretty much all of them) this means tuning the lowest string down to Eb0, which is 38.9Hz. Down to D0 would be 36.7Hz. There's no cherry picking of the 'upper 1%' going on here.

This is besides the fact that 5 string bass guitars, which have a bottom string tuned to B0 (30.9Hz), have been around and in common use almost as long as the 4 string electric bass, not to mention 5 string double basses before that or, more commonly, 4 string basses with a C extension. Therefore you're attempting to dispute the fact that a wide range of recorded music, spanning at least classical, jazz, rock, and pop from the past few centuries, contains acoustically produced notes below 40Hz.
You're making the mistake of seeing the fundamental frequency as the entirety of a note. If that were the case it would make very low notes, that indeed are popular in modern music, inaccessible to the majority of the public. Also a Theremin and a Piano would sound the same. I play 5-string electric bass tuned to A Standard, my lowest note is 27.50Hz.

It's not desirable to have all fundamentals intact for a number of reasons. It will clash with the kick drum, produce an ugly beating artifact. If you are lucky and kick+bass plays well together the concern remains with large speakers in random rooms like venues and night clubs. Rooms sometimes have modes that excite sub frequencies which will blow very low notes out of proportion. On underpowered systems very low notes will cause distortion. One of the most used bass processing plugins for mixing engineers for decades, Waves Maxxbass, works by filtering out low frequencies and resynthesizing their contents into higher frequencies. Too much sub frequencies in a bass instrument will actually sound aesthetically "weak", the meat of a bass instrument lies in the mid-bass frequencies. Most electric bass cabinets take care of this by having little output below 50Hz-60Hz.
Don't just cherrypick one part of my post. I urge people to go back and read the whole post you're quoting, as nothing much more needs to be said on this. You're not correct in your assertions re tracks having no content below 40Hz, it's ridiculous.
A more robust study would sample isolated bass tracks by random artists. I predict the fundamentals are significantly reduced below 50Hz vs. higher partials, in the vast majority of cases. Right now you are using super curated data to amplify a Dunning-Kruger effect, about a pseudo-argument. You would be better off listening to the nuance provided by people that are closer to the process.

Last edited:

isostasy

You're making the mistake of seeing the fundamental frequency as the entirety of a note. If that were the case it would make very low notes, that indeed are popular in modern music, inaccessible to the majority of the public. Also a Theremin and a Piano would sound the same. I play 5-string electric bass tuned to A Standard, my the lowest note is 27.50Hz.

It's not desirable to have all fundamentals intact for a number of reasons. It will clash with the kick drum, produce an ugly beating artifact. If you are lucky and kick+bass plays well together the concern remains with large speakers random rooms like venues and night clubs. Rooms sometimes have modes that excite sub frequencies which will blow very low notes out of proportion. On underpowered systems very low notes will cause distortion. One of the most used bass processing plugins for mixing engineers for decades, Waves Maxxbass, works by filtering out low frequencies and resynthesizing their contents into higher frequencies. Too much sub frequencies in a bass instrument will actually sound aesthetically "weak", the meat of a bass instrument lies in the mid-bass frequencies. Most electric bass cabinets take care of this by having little output below 50Hz-60Hz.

A more robust study would sample isolated bass tracks by random artists. I predict the fundamentals are significantly reduced below 50Hz vs. higher partials, in the vast majority of cases. Right now you are using super curated data to amplify a Dunning-Kruger effect, about a one sided argument. You would be better off listening to the nuance provided by people that are closer to the process.
Of course I know it's not the entirety of the note, I understand notes are comprised of harmonics, where I'm wrong is that I thought the fundamental is more integral than it really is. I assumed the fundamental needed to be heard to distinguish the note on a particular instrument, but I loaded up 'Take the Power Back' by Rage Against the Machine in Sonic Visualiser, just because I knew the bass line started with a low open D, and was indeed surprised that note doesn't exist on the Melodic Range Spectogram (Layers -> Melodic Range Spectogram -> All Channels Mixed). I tried some other tracks, even some metal stuff with stupid low bass tuning and it's mostly the same result, though there were a few (admittedly not at all mainstream) examples where the fundamental is clearly in the mix. It's only when I looked at some Nicolas Jaar that I saw really obvious notes appearing below 40Hz, and that's electronic.

I now really want to know more about this but realise we're no longer talking about the Truthear Zero. I guess this mostly supports my belief that the slight roll-off in the sub-bass on the Zero is pretty insignificant.

n.b. some of the frequencies I posted above were wrong, I think I meant D1 and C1, and also looks like I was using A=432Hz maybe? My point was they're below 40Hz anyway.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Listening to Midnight Sky by Milley Cirus on the earphones at the moment. While the vocals are present and in your face I can say that the headphones are bright but it is so tamed that it is very tasteful. The track is very good at bringing this out because the moment the device is too bright the vocals become uncomfortable, I didn't find that to be the case. tastefully bright? yes. badly tuned? No. Not by a long shot.

However, with that being said, the Piano EQ on Apple Music takes the extra salt and pepper the tuning has and brings a very full and neutral experience (but sacrifices sound staging, and honestly takes the fun out of the experience lol).

index.php

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't heard that track (not my kind of music) but you'll definitely notice issues when you put on electric bass guitar with rock or metal music. Being a harmonically rich instrument, it's very revealing.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't heard that track (not my kind of music) but you'll definitely notice issues when you put on electric bass guitar with rock or metal music. Being a harmonically rich instrument, it's very revealing.
Send me some tracks. Maybe my HRTF is closer to the Harman’s average.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're making the mistake of seeing the fundamental frequency as the entirety of a note. If that were the case it would make very low notes, that indeed are popular in modern music, inaccessible to the majority of the public. Also a Theremin and a Piano would sound the same. I play 5-string electric bass tuned to A Standard, my lowest note is 27.50Hz.

It's not desirable to have all fundamentals intact for a number of reasons. It will clash with the kick drum, produce an ugly beating artifact. If you are lucky and kick+bass plays well together the concern remains with large speakers in random rooms like venues and night clubs. Rooms sometimes have modes that excite sub frequencies which will blow very low notes out of proportion. On underpowered systems very low notes will cause distortion. One of the most used bass processing plugins for mixing engineers for decades, Waves Maxxbass, works by filtering out low frequencies and resynthesizing their contents into higher frequencies. Too much sub frequencies in a bass instrument will actually sound aesthetically "weak", the meat of a bass instrument lies in the mid-bass frequencies. Most electric bass cabinets take care of this by having little output below 50Hz-60Hz.

A more robust study would sample isolated bass tracks by random artists. I predict the fundamentals are significantly reduced below 50Hz vs. higher partials, in the vast majority of cases. Right now you are using super curated data to amplify a Dunning-Kruger effect, about a pseudo-argument. You would be better off listening to the nuance provided by people that are closer to the process.
Well, I understand the points you're making, but I don't agree that below 40Hz content is uncommon in tracks, and certainly not to the extent that it's an unworthy quest to be able to have equipment that can play below 40Hz - for example on headphones this is quite easily achieved with EQ, so you may as well - and certainly in a good proportion of the music I listen to there is content below 40Hz, like I've shown. Another poster highlighted the fact that we're getting off topic, which we are, so I'll just leave it at that as well as linking yourself & the forum readers to the BASS head thread here on ASR where there are many examples of bass content below 40Hz:

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Name few examples pls

silkpurse

Next level of usability

I would like to do this with 3 different configurations, do you know where to get the wire and terminations? Is there an easy to follow recipe documented somewhere?

I'm going to try it with apple 3.5mm earbuds, apple lightning earbuds, and Beats Flex (hopefully the built in filters will still be compatible enough)

silkpurse

Well, I understand the points you're making, but I don't agree that below 40Hz content is uncommon in tracks, and certainly not to the extent that it's an unworthy quest to be able to have equipment that can play below 40Hz - for example on headphones this is quite easily achieved with EQ, so you may as well - and certainly in a good proportion of the music I listen to there is content below 40Hz, like I've shown. Another poster highlighted the fact that we're getting off topic, which we are, so I'll just leave it at that as well as linking yourself & the forum readers to the BASS head thread here on ASR where there are many examples of bass content below 40Hz:

Because of mastering loudness wars, it is, or was, a pretty easy mastering choice to filter out (down) sub-40hz signal. Almost everyone in the decision tree would prefer a tiny amount of overall (relative) loudness vs bass that the vast majority of consumers would never know about.

It's likely that a lot more low end content would exist if it wasn't a fact that even in digital sub 30hz was a "detriment". And of course in vinyl it would necessitate physically altering the record, perhaps causing skips, but definitely making less time available per side of the album.

DavidK442

Forum Donor
Have enjoyed the Truthear Zero's for a few months now.
Loved them from day one and continue to marvel at how "right" they sound.
Spent thousands over the years in pursuit of headphone bliss and have finally found it.
Despite owning several well regarded wireless options I choose to be tethered to my laptop by this unruly cable.
Such a high level of sonic accuracy available for so little, amazing!

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Quick question: there seems to have a microphone, can you, please, list the parts used in this?

Peace.
Sure. I thought it's obvious that it is the cable from Apple EarPods. It has mic & 2 volume control buttons and answer/play/pause button. It works with iPhone (through 3.5 to Lightning adapter) and with MacBook into 3.5 port

95802104240739.jpg

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Listening to Midnight Sky by Milley Cirus on the earphones at the moment. While the vocals are present and in your face I can say that the headphones are bright but it is so tamed that it is very tasteful. The track is very good at bringing this out because the moment the device is too bright the vocals become uncomfortable, I didn't find that to be the case. tastefully bright? yes. badly tuned? No. Not by a long shot.

However, with that being said, the Piano EQ on Apple Music takes the extra salt and pepper the tuning has and brings a very full and neutral experience (but sacrifices sound staging, and honestly takes the fun out of the experience lol).

index.php

I have to retract some statements here after prolonged used, the Piano mode takes way too much high end after 6KHz and does not add enough sub-bass.

I found the loudness setting to be the most neutral sounding, but it's very tastefully sub-bass heavy.

I can definitely agree with the comments about the earphones being shouty, but i can definitely live without EQ. it's a tasteful tuning.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Audiophiles gild the lily as a matter of principles...

I will be forever indebted to ASR for what it has brought to my musical enjoyment.
I spent years chasing great sound and was convinced until ASR, basically, that this only came at great cost... seriously great cost. e.g. in my mind, a serious headphones had to be over $1000.oo to even be decent, a good amp? $5000.oo , a DAC? At least $5,000.oo. A pair of speakers? Over 10K and closer to 20K....
With ASR? With Science to the service of music reproduction and enjoyment, I'd spare you how much cost my best system after 50 years ($5000 :cool:), but this IEM is $50.oo. Mike drop! or if you will IEM-drop:facepalm::facepalm:.

This said, and a suggestion to some fellows audiophiles that are professionals in studios. Use that thing or the even cheaper Mondrop Chu as IEM for studios, especially as a replacement to the often-atrocious "professional" IFB earpieces, such as those from COMTEK, LECTROSONICS et al. It will involves some surgery. IME, if the Apple dongle can drive the TCZ or Moondrop Chu, of this world so will the IFB transmitters/"Body Packs" ... This involves some surgery and some "redesign" to make these less visible but... Why not? ;).
That was my way of contributing to this community who has been given so much ... This project is ongoing as I am waiting for the IEM to arrive. I will update you...

I've bought more TCZ for my customers as a gift. I still don't understand how the general presentation (boxing, etc) can be made for so cheap... Some of these customers openly wondered why such expensive gifts in these difficult times !! :D ....

Thanks @amirm , Thanks people!

Peace

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Audiophiles gild the lily as a matter of principles...

I will be forever indebted to ASR for what it has brought to my musical enjoyment.
I spent years chasing great sound and was convinced until ASR, basically, that this only came at great cost... seriously great cost. e.g. in my mind, a serious headphones had to be over $1000.oo to even be decent, a good amp? $5000.oo , a DAC? At least $5,000.oo. A pair of speakers? Over 10K and closer to 20K....
With ASR? With Science to the service of music reproduction and enjoyment, I'd spare you how much cost my best system after 50 years ($5000 :cool:), but this IEM is $50.oo. Mike drop! or if you will IEM-drop:facepalm::facepalm:.

This said, and a suggestion to some fellows audiophiles that are professionals in studios. Use that thing or the even cheaper Mondrop Chu as IEM for studios, especially as a replacement to the often-atrocious "professional" IFB earpieces, such as those from COMTEK, LECTROSONICS et al. It will involves some surgery. IME, if the Apple dongle can drive the TCZ or Moondrop Chu, of this world so will the IFB transmitters/"Body Packs" ... This involves some surgery and some "redesign" to make these less visible but... Why not? ;).
That was my way of contributing to this community who has been given so much ... This project is ongoing as I am waiting for the IEM to arrive. I will update you...

I've bought more TCZ for my customers as a gift. I still don't understand how the general presentation (boxing, etc) can be made for so cheap... Some of these customers openly wondered why such expensive gifts in these difficult times !! :D ....

Thanks @amirm , Thanks people!

Peace
P.S.

Where to buy cables for the TCZ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
P.S.

Where to buy cables for the TCZ?
I find the tripowin zonie to be the best sensibly priced after market cable. Around £15 from amazon or Ali. Range of terminations at both ends. 0.78 mm 2 pin for the tcz

staticV3

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Oso Polar

Yeah, the effect is surprisingly very noticeable: if I switch from Qudelix-5K directly to laptop's headphone jack then there is significantly more bass, these IEMs start to sound boomy. So, some persons impressions in this thread that Zeros are too bassy may be because of their source.

Top Bottom