• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Roger285

After more than one year with Truthear Zero I can say that the sound they produce is just not my cup of tea. I returned my first pair in exchange for a new one (I thought that something was wrong with my first pair). Nothing changed. The glassy treble is still there, the mids are very thin. I am not sure what it depends on. I have other headphones that in measurements follow the Harman curve. None of them sounds this bad.
I had exactly the same experience - not with the Truthear Zero, but with the new 7hz Zero 2. The Zero 2s have terrific measurement and rave reviews, but to me they sounded simply awful. Just as you describe, thin, glassy, shrill. I returned the first set, convinced they were defective, but the second set were the same.

The Truthears have a different design, a more protruding nozzle which I'm now convinced is why they sound so much better to me. I think the reason so many of us have very different experiences with iems comes down to simple anatomy.

For me the Truthears sound absolutely gorgeous.
Bob

ps
We may disagree about earbuds apparently we both appreciate Martinu. :)

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have other headphones that in measurements follow the Harman curve. None of them sounds this bad.
Looking at your signature, those headphones appear to be either over the ear or on ear type. Do you have any IEM that you like?
My experience with IEM, if they measure well to start with, is that, how they fit in your ear will make them or brake them, irrespective of how well they measure.
At least, you seem to have already plenty of great headphones to get a satisfactory binaural experience. :)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just installed the Spinfit W1's (after a bit of struggle) and they are pretty comfortable and get an immediate seal without much effort. I'm using the M size.

I had to use the L size of the stock tips to get a seal, but they aren't the best fit and that lead to discomfort.

I'll leave them on for a while before trying the Xelastec or Spinfit CP145's.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So far despite the larger bore size on these Spinfit W1's I'm not noticing a change in frequency response compared to the stock small bore L tips. And they certainly disappear better, that is, I don't feel them in my ears as much.

I think these are perfect for the Zeros or any IEM that relies solely on your ear hole for fitment. If you wore the L Truthear tips to get a seal, try these in M. Even with the stock L tips I would lose seal if I opened my jaw all the way. Not so with these.

Sukie

Forum Donor
So far despite the larger bore size on these Spinfit W1's I'm not noticing a change in frequency response compared to the stock small bore L tips. And they certainly disappear better, that is, I don't feel them in my ears as much.

I think these are perfect for the Zeros or any IEM that relies solely on your ear hole for fitment. If you wore the L Truthear tips to get a seal, try these in M. Even with the stock L tips I would lose seal if I opened my jaw all the way. Not so with these.
Thanks for your last 2 posts. I use L size of the stock tips and agree with your thoughts (ok for seal, but a bit uncomfortable). On your recommendation I ordered a set of the W1 tips and they're arriving today. I nearly went for the CP155 after @Jimbob54's posts, but they do look quite different from the stock tips. Hopefully my ears are more like yours than his. :D I'll let you know later on today!!!

Sukie

Forum Donor
The tips have arrived and they fit my ears perfectly. Easy seal and that gorgeous bass, without discomfort. Looking forward to a full session with them.
I just installed the Spinfit W1's (after a bit of struggle)
Definitely. There is a technique, but it's still difficult. On the plus side, at last they won't come off in my ears.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good deal. I arrived at the guess for M based on measuring in mm the FiiO tips that worked for me from my FH3. I'm glad they are perfect because they are pricey.

The L Truthear tips also came off in my right ear often.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Thought I'd report back on my experience with Spinfit tips. I've used both the W1 (medium size) and the CP155 (large size). Both fit my ears well, good seal and good bass. However the W1 produces a better overall sound. I'm hopeless at subjective sounds descriptions. I'd describe the sound as "livelier", "more dynamic" and "more present". I know that it's all to do with things like resonance peaks and other subtle things that are altered by the positioning of the tip in the ear.

The CP155 are very secure and I can see that they suit ear shapes that are not catered for with the more standard tips (particularly when it comes to the large nozzle iem's like Trurthear Zero). It's just that, for me, the W1 produces a more agreeable sound.

bracko

bracko

Looking at your signature, those headphones appear to be either over the ear or on ear type. Do you have any IEM that you like?
My experience with IEM, if they measure well to start with, is that, how they fit in your ear will make them or brake them, irrespective of how well they measure.
At least, you seem to have already plenty of great headphones to get a satisfactory binaural experience. :)
I only have one more in-ear headphone, Sony WF-C500. A wireless headphone that I like pretty much :) It is not on the same level as my over the ear headphones but they do have a pleasant sound.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I only have one more in-ear headphone, Sony WF-C500. A wireless headphone that I like pretty much :) It is not on the same level as my over the ear headphones but they do have a pleasant sound.
One of the few TWS I have tried that sounds reasonable out of the box. Very reasonable price too.

bevok

Do I need four pairs of IEMs? Of course not but I’m curious, I got the Crinicle Red for enjoyment but also to check out that tuning/curve, however for me its a bit bass light, thinking this should be perfect (love the K371). Hate to say it but AirPods Pro 2 are still my reference for ideal sound though!

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do I need four pairs of IEMs? Of course not but I’m curious, I got the Crinicle Red for enjoyment but also to check out that tuning/curve, however for me its a bit bass light, thinking this should be perfect (love the K371). Hate to say it but AirPods Pro 2 are still my reference for ideal sound though!
If you found the Red bass light, you aren't going to like the original Zero without EQ.

markanini

Major Contributor
Zero Blue is bassier, but also has a grittiness in treble.

First have tried all the included tips and the bass adapter? Red should be have just the right amount of bass for someone with average tastes, but this could change if there's a seal issue or if you prefer extra elevated bass.

MusicMan77

Just got a pair. Hard to believe you can get this sound quality for $50. Very impressed.

Top Bottom