• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear HOLA

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tried 4 of the pairs supplied. Will try some more :)
If it can help you, for me, with the Zero, I use the medium size of the tip provided, but for the Hola I have to use the biggest size of the tip provided.

Reactions: SiW

markanini

Major Contributor
My Hola arrived today, I will give my quick impressions.

Nice shell shape, fits my ears like a glove. Very nice cable. Good accessories for $20. Decent details, vocals slightly relaxed. It has a presentation with good body and smack. I can tell that the V is relaxed per measurements. And of course excellently extended sub-bass. ML size wide bore tips give me good seal, hopefully they stay grippy. Don't bother with narrow bore tips unless you are a bass head. Compared to Kiwi Cadenza it has better detail, less washyness, better excitement with Rock songs. I'm keeping this set, I feel like it should be a safe recommendation at $20 to say the least. Bassheads can conveniently use narrow bore tips, the change in sound is substantial.

markanini

Major Contributor
Addendum to my Hola impressions. This set has extra upper bass that I think gives the music a life-like or speaker-like presentation, in the sense that drums have more punch, vocals have more body. Some reviewers called this bass bleed but I don't hear it like that, maybe they used different tips or have a different playlist. Anyway, I've taken a liking to this aspect about the Hola, I tried EQ-ing my Kiwi Cadenza to sound like that, but the Cadenza doesn't have the detail levels of Hola and turns into mud vs. stock Hola. Another strength the Hola has can be heard when playing a song with cymbal hits, turning volume very low still has good treble coming through, but more impressively turning the volume back up doesn't sound harsh like a lot IEMs do in similar circumstances. You could probably guess that Hola has taken Cadenzas place as the better IEM I own.

Honken

These things sure have substantial bass output indeed, but I prefer them with a notch to the upper bass as to make the response more Harman-like. But it's very nice not having to boost the low end at all. But, I can't really come to grips with the treble, they sound sibilant to me, and so I don't think these will get much use from me. The sibilance surprised me, as the measurements do not look like these would be sibilant at all.

Shame, as the fit and comfort is good. I quite like the low weight of them, but I guess that also gives them a bit of a cheap feel.

markanini

Major Contributor
These things sure have substantial bass output indeed, but I prefer them with a notch to the upper bass as to make the response more Harman-like. But it's very nice not having to boost the low end at all. But, I can't really come to grips with the treble, they sound sibilant to me, and so I don't think these will get much use from me. The sibilance surprised me, as the measurements do not look like these would be sibilant at all.

Shame, as the fit and comfort is good. I quite like the low weight of them, but I guess that also gives them a bit of a cheap feel.
You mention reducing upper bass with EQ, are you using the included wide-bore tips for your evaluation?

isostasy

My Hola arrived today, I will give my quick impressions.

Nice shell shape, fits my ears like a glove. Very nice cable. Good accessories for $20. Decent details, vocals slightly relaxed. It has a presentation with good body and smack. I can tell that the V is relaxed per measurements. And of course excellently extended sub-bass. ML size wide bore tips give me good seal, hopefully they stay grippy. Don't bother with narrow bore tips unless you are a bass head. Compared to Kiwi Cadenza it has better detail, less washyness, better excitement with Rock songs. I'm keeping this set, I feel like it should be a safe recommendation at $20 to say the least. Bassheads can conveniently use narrow bore tips, the change in sound is substantial.
How does it sound EQing the upper mids up a bit, e.g. 3.1dB at 2450Hz, Q=2.2? Thanks :)

markanini

Major Contributor
How does it sound EQing the upper mids up a bit, e.g. 3.1dB at 2450Hz, Q=2.2? Thanks :)
More aggressive rock guitars. Less chesty vocals, more head voice. Washy on cymbals. I prefer without, especially on bright produced rock Like Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By the Way. It mostly improves female vocals like Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl.

Cote Dazur

AB52E646-1B7F-4933-AD77-147E4C32BADD.jpeg
When looking at them it is hard for me to understand why getting a good seal/great sound with the Zero is very easy, but with the Hola, it is almost impossible.
If I press them with my fingers when they play, I get a full scale sound, but as soon as I release them, they sound good but missing lower octave. I tried many tips, including the tips from the Zero, but never reached the level of seal I naturally get with the Zero.
How can the same brand produce such differently ergonomic item?

Cote Dazur

Maybe it's the nozzle angle
Thank you, your brilliant comment made me realized what I was doing wrong.
the Zero body is flush against my ears when properly inserted/sealed, doing the same with the Hola does not work because of the nozzle angle.
With the body of the Hola at an angle, going away from my ear, the nozzle is entering as it should, the seal is good, as easily as with the Zero. Problem solved.

1680291217086.jpeg

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That photo is copyrighted.

When looking at them it is hard for me to understand why getting a good seal/great sound with the Zero is very easy, but with the Hola, it is almost impossible.
If I press them with my fingers when they play, I get a full scale sound, but as soon as I release them, they sound good but missing lower octave. I tried many tips, including the tips from the Zero, but never reached the level of seal I naturally get with the Zero.
How can the same brand produce such differently ergonomic item?
I have exactly the same problem. My theory is that since it is small it does reach deep enough in the ar canal to create a seal. Spinfit tips fixed that issue for me. I still don't like them.

vco1

Comfort is similar to the 7Hz Zero.
I personally find it hard to speak of "comfort" with regard to the Salnotes Zero. Horrible fit with every included eartip I tried so far. The Truthear Zeroes are quite comfy though. And sound much better too.

sharock

I personally find it hard to speak of "comfort" with regard to the Salnotes Zero. Horrible fit with every included eartip I tried so far. The Truthear Zeroes are quite comfy though. And sound much better too.
Just goes to show that all ears are different.

I think the Truthear Zero sounds better, but the comfort/fit on the Salnotes Zero is better. (stock tips for both)

Phosphenetre

Been using a pair for a month or so. Funnily enough, as a musician, this is my favorite IEM I own for critical listening, specifically because it gets the midrange balance (particularly the 1 - 2.5 kHz range) more correct than almost everything else I own. Even the Moondrop Aria feels a bit honky in that range, and the ER2XR is even more so. If the Hola's treble was more evenly neutral, it'd be the best tuned IEM I own.

markanini

Major Contributor
I got my hands on the Tangzu Waner today. I'm looking for a set that sounds like Moondrop Lan+EQ but stock, and graphs indicated Waner is a candidate. Evaluated here with stock white(wide-bore) medium-large tips

Waner does a lot right with regards to tuning, I can tell on first listen. That's why it's unfortunate it's issue is a treble that has hot spot that tires my ears. It's not as bad as some KZ sets I've tried, but enough to put me off.

The Waner is an extremely hyped budget set. It's probably still a good way to show off how much you get from an inexpensive IEM these days. In comparision Hola comes off a more well rounded product. Holas cable is very good too, the Waner's is cheap and tangle prone.

This is my ranking against other budget sets I've owned, from best to worst:
Truthear Hola, 7Hz Zero, Waner, Kiwi Cadenza, Moondrop Quarks DSP, CCA CRA v2.

isostasy

I got my hands on the Tangzu Waner today. I'm looking for a set that sounds like Moondrop Lan+EQ but stock, and graphs indicated Waner is a candidate. Evaluated here with stock white(wide-bore) medium-large tips

Waner does a lot right with regards to tuning, I can tell on first listen. That's why it's unfortunate it's issue is a treble that has hot spot that tires my ears. It's not as bad as some KZ sets I've tried, but enough to put me off.

The Waner is an extremely hyped budget set. It's probably still a good way to show off how much you get from an inexpensive IEM these days. In comparision Hola comes off a more well rounded product. Holas cable is very good too, the Waner's is cheap and tangle prone.

This is my ranking against other budget sets I've owned, from best to worst:
Truthear Hola, 7Hz Zero, Waner, Kiwi Cadenza, Moondrop Quarks DSP, CCA CRA v2.
The tips come in 2 different sized bores which supposedly modify the treble; I'm sceptical but did you give it a go and find any differences? I own the Wan'er and was surprised also that something in the treble sounds more prominent than graphed but fortunately doesn't come across as a hot spot for my ears.

Top Bottom