• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

truthear hexa iem

Puzzle

Hexa has been on sell for sometime, has anyone tried it? I bought the zero after looking through Amirm's review and am very happy with it. It's a very comfortable wearing iem (better than my 5005 and exk) and sounds good. Would also like to give a try for Hexa if it performs better than Zero

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hexa has been on sell for sometime, has anyone tried it? I bought the zero after looking through Amirm's review and am very happy with it. It's a very comfortable wearing iem (better than my 5005 and exk) and sounds good. Would also like to give a try for Hexa if it performs better than Zero
What do you mean by "performs better"? It has a different response for sure. @Resolve seemed to rate them more than the Zero for his ears.

OP
Puzzle

Puzzle

What do you mean by "performs better"? It has a different response for sure. @Resolve seemed to rate them more than the Zero for his ears.
I see the hexa use 1 dd and 3 or 2bb, so I expect it to have a bit better raw resolution? Maybe more details in mid and high frequencies?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I see the hexa use 1 dd and 3 or 2bb, so I expect it to have a bit better raw resolution?
ah yes, the famous balanced barmature. Two or three of these bad boys should give you at least 8K resolution :cool:

Jokes aside, here's how the Hexa measures on an RA040X:
Screenshot_20221206-145117_YouTube.png
Source

I'll add a comparison to the Zero later today.

Last edited:

isostasy

I see the hexa use 1 dd and 3 or 2bb, so I expect it to have a bit better raw resolution? Maybe more details in mid and high frequencies?

Frequency response matters far more than simply the number of drivers the manufacturer has put in. The Hexa measures very differently from the Zero:
hexaZeroER2XR.png

As you can see it's closer to an Etymotic ER2XR with the mids scooped out. Some say it's a cheaper Moondrop Blessing 2, but from graphs alone it bears strong similarity to the Thieaudio Clairvoyance too.

You could just use a bit of EQ to get a rough idea what the Hexa would sound like compared to your Zero. Of course it won't sound exactly the same but if you're comparing two completely different tunings, as in this case, it can give you some idea. Try the EQ filters I've attached as a starting point.

zeroToHexaEQ.png

OP
Puzzle

Puzzle

Frequency response matters far more than simply the number of drivers the manufacturer has put in. The Hexa measures very differently from the Zero:View attachment 248190

As you can see it's closer to an Etymotic ER2XR with the mids scooped out. Some say it's a cheaper Moondrop Blessing 2, but from graphs alone it bears strong similarity to the Thieaudio Clairvoyance too.

You could just use a bit of EQ to get a rough idea what the Hexa would sound like compared to your Zero. Of course it won't sound exactly the same but if you're comparing two completely different tunings, as in this case, it can give you some idea. Try the EQ filters I've attached as a starting point.

View attachment 248226
Thanks for the plot. I actually happens to have an er2se, and I know comparing with er2xr it lacks a bit of bass energy. I think I roughly know how the hexa would sound like if it's close to er2xr. But besides the frequency response, there are also distortions and delays, I am wondering how the hexa performs on these terms and if it would worth me a try.

Fregly

The Ety2xr/3xr has the better graph, if you are into that curve. I was going to get the Hexa until seeing those dull looking high mids.

asrUser

Try the Hexa they are very much worth it.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Night and day preference for the Hexa for me, even though I do find the treble a tad bright. Harman IE 2019 is a hard no go for my ear.
Truthear Zero ≠ Harman IE 2019:

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero Full APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz (1).png

staticV3

Master Contributor
Dr. Olive's unit gets pretty close:
FjkENisVsAAOQ7Z.jpg

Source

Edit: in case anyone's wondering, Zo and cable impedance can greatly affect the amplitude of the Zero's "subwoofer". I'm guessing that's why Amir's unit undershoots there and Olive's unit overshoots.

Last edited:

Resolve

Reviewer
Dr. Olive's unit gets pretty close:
View attachment 248866
Source

Edit: in case anyone's wondering, Zo and cable impedance can greatly affect the amplitude of the Zero's "subwoofer". I'm guessing that's why Amir's unit undershoots there and Olive's unit overshoots.
Also unit variation is a thing, and these are all fairly close. I'll have to double check mine but... either way it's not incorrect to say the Zero is very Harmanlike. This was in fact Crin's stated goal with the tuning as well. Ironically, Crin also doesn't like Harman IE 2019, hence his own target.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also unit variation is a thing, and these are all fairly close. I'll have to double check mine but... either way it's not incorrect to say the Zero is very Harmanlike. This was in fact Crin's stated goal with the tuning as well. Ironically, Crin also doesn't like Harman IE 2019, hence his own target.

Which of his collabs does he believe best reflects his IEF plus "sensible" bass target? I think he referred to the Dusk at one point but we are a few (quite a few! ) down the road from that now.......

Not sure if he still lurks around this parish. @crinacle?

Resolve

Reviewer
Which of his collabs does he believe best reflects his IEF plus "sensible" bass target? I think he referred to the Dusk at one point but we are a few (quite a few! ) down the road from that now.......

Not sure if he still lurks around this parish. @crinacle?

I'd have to take a look at the FR, but I personally find most of his collabs to be solid, Dusk in particular. Like even the stuff that's not my preference, I can usually acknowledge the competence of the tuning, and understand why it was done the way it was.

GaryH

Major Contributor
'Harmanlike' with a broadband 2-3 dB excess above target where our ears are most sensitive ≠ audibly the same as Harman IE 2019

'Pretty close' to Harman measured with an output impedance of 30 ohms significantly boosting the (sub)bass and foam tips potentially decreasing the upper mids to lower treble (again where our ears are most sensitive) by up to ~2 dB ≠ audibly the same as likely usage with a low output impedance and silicone tips

asrUser

Top Bottom