• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR conversation to TWS!

markanini

Major Contributor
@markanini the <$100 clone 711 couplers are more than enough for discerning these differences, I get very repeatable results and my results are very similar to other people with squig sites and clone 711 couplers. Note the replicas I'm talking about here are not copy Galaxy Buds, these specific ones were copy Beyerdynamic Xelentos. I have the real Buds2 Pro but don't have any copies, so I can't say if they are similar or not. Just that my experience so far with copy IEMs from Ali, they are not that similar sonically so I'd be sceptical.
OTOH if the price is not that far apart you might as well buy a better clone. I've noticed some squig links have a rather small delta vs Gras RA0045 measurements by Oratoryu1990 and csglinux, namely:

The second one give a link to the store page of their coupler, currently $120.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@markanini here's my 711 clone coupler's deviation compared to csglinux's GRAS ra0045, measured using four IEM pairs (=eight measurements) that csglinux first measured on his coupler, then sent to me to compare: https://media.discordapp.net/attach...ux_ra0045_vs_staticV3_IEC-711_Calibration.png

Without this compensation, you get roughly ±1dB from 20Hz to 7kHz.
With compensation, you can reduce the error to roughly ±0.5dB from 20Hz to 8kHz.

The rest is related to acoustic impedance, so cannot be compensated for.

The two graphs showing bass roll-off are due to the IEM being damaged in shipping.

Blorg

@markanini my one is from "College Shop Store" but it looks identical to the "Sounds Good Store" one linked from TheRollo9 (the actual seller photos are identical between them), The seller I bought from has more orders and reviews but I suspect they are identical. I am pretty sure I have the exact same one as VSG (Tech Power Up) and from the same store, he has the same USB sound card they sell with it.

My measurements are good enough for my purposes, which is mostly checking stuff I buy and EQ. It's pretty close to those others, when you consider unit variation and tip/insertion variation. Like in many cases these are closer than the L / R variance on a single unit. I'm usually measuring with the tips I actually use too, which are rarely the stock ones, so that introduces variance. If I was going to buy something I think it would be an artificial pinna to try to do over-ear measurements.

Remember, these are not the same IEM, just the same model, and in most cases other than the Hexa I'm not using stock tips either. @staticV3's case they were the same physical IEMs that they shipped to each other.

EDIT: also, I'm not talking about variations anywhere close to this, if a copy got this close it would be a very good copy. I'm talking about huge differences, totally different sound signatures.

1687524205625.png
1687527197647.png
1687523767016.png

Last edited:

kysa

@markanini my one is from "College Shop Store" but it looks identical to the "Sounds Good Store" one linked from TheRollo9 (the actual seller photos are identical between them), The seller I bought from has more orders and reviews but I suspect they are identical. I am pretty sure I have the exact same one as VSG (Tech Power Up) and from the same store, he has the same USB sound card they sell with it.

My measurements are good enough for my purposes, which is mostly checking stuff I buy and EQ. It's pretty close to those others, when you consider unit variation and tip/insertion variation. Like in many cases these are closer than the L / R variance on a single unit. I'm usually measuring with the tips I actually use too, which are rarely the stock ones, so that introduces variance. If I was going to buy something I think it would be an artificial pinna to try to do over-ear measurements.

Remember, these are not the same IEM, just the same model, and in most cases other than the Hexa I'm not using stock tips either. @staticV3's case they were the same physical IEMs that they shipped to each other.

EDIT: also, I'm not talking about variations anywhere close to this, if a copy got this close it would be a very good copy. I'm talking about huge differences, totally different sound signatures.

View attachment 294398View attachment 294406View attachment 294395
They all use the same photos, yet i wonder whether they're the same.
https://aliexpress.com/item/4001315347810.html
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000789796521.html

Is the included sound card transparent enough for such usecase? I will probably play safe and order from "College Shop" anyway..

Blorg

They all use the same photos, yet i wonder whether they're the same.
https://aliexpress.com/item/4001315347810.html
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000789796521.html

Is the included sound card transparent enough for such usecase? I will probably play safe and order from "College Shop" anyway..
I think the included sound card is OK, particularly for frequency response measurements, I don't think the sound card is really the limiting factor with this. I don't think it's either particularly high quality or necessary either though, I did buy it but ended up using a dongle (VE Abigail) which supports both in and out and higher sample rates and also seems flatter with a loopback test. IIRC the included sound card had a bit of roll off very high and very low, not the point it would really affect anything but the $10 VE Abigail was flatter.

So I'd skip the sound card, while it's "fine" it's nothing particularly special and I don't use it. I usually use the dongle I listen on for the output and the VE Abigail for the input.

Top Bottom