• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

True wireless IEMs

duo8

These have been on the market for over two years now. We have products ranging from very cheap ($15) to midrange headphones prices ($300). Quality varies greatly among them, and sound quality isn't the only, or even the main concern. When considering TWS IEMs, factors such as connectivity, battery life or feature set are important too.

What is your opinion on this new type of IEMs? Have you had any experience with them?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use them sometimes walking the dog in the countryside or if I go to Oxford on the bus. The first ones I had were tiny but had dropouts fairly often. I have the B&O ones now which are nicely made and work very well.

Timbo2

Do you mean things like the airpods and the like or your basic bluetooth IEMs?

For example I use both a pair of Shure SE535s and SE215s with a bluetooth cable and a wired a cable. I see no reason to risk the much more expensive SE535s with most "on the go" activities. In my opinion you are always limited by the lossy bluetooth and the generally noisy environment and activity where you are using the IEMs.

If I'm in a quiet and "safe" environment like my home I much prefer the wired SE535s.

(In case you aren't familiar the Shure IEMs use an MMCX connector so you can change cables or make them bluetooth enabled.)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

For example I use both a pair of Shure SE535s and SE215s with a bluetooth cable and a wired a cable. I see no reason to risk the much more expensive SE535s with most "on the go" activities. In my opinion you are always limited by the lossy bluetooth and the generally noisy environment and activity where you are using the IEMs.

If I'm in a quiet and "safe" environment like my home I much prefer the wired SE535s.

(In case you aren't familiar the Shure IEMs use an MMCX connector so you can change cables or make them bluetooth enabled.)
Ah but I only use headphones on the move, at home I listen to speakers.
For me the wireless IEMs are more suitable than anything with wires for the times I use them.

OP
D

duo8

"True wireless", at least for now, means BT IEMs that do not have a cable connecting the sides.
This also means using a adapter like the TRN BT20 could be considered TWS, though it's much clunkier.

Top Bottom