• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

True?? An "optical break" in network cable can improve SQ

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
A cable brake can improve sound quality simple;
A) put the quality TPU shielded balanced cable between door,
B) close the door and lock it leading to the production studio full of creative performing artists,
C) play them some music trogh the mentioned cable and tell them only way they will ever come out there is if it sounds better.

Edit: you are receiving this trough optical gateway in between lots of network infrastructure including a bunch of cables and it's the same I0.

Last edited:

AudiOhm

For less than $40.00 + cables, Audio Grade Ethernet switch manufactures will be out of business...:facepalm:

Ohms

Zensō

Major Contributor
A member on another forum claimed he improved sound quality by insinuating an "optical break" in his network cable, (between NAS and streamer I believe).

The "break" consisted of a pair, back-to-back, of these TP-Link MC100CM electrical <=> optical converters in his home network cable. He insists that he and a buddy could hear an SQ improvement in 48 to of 50 trials using blind testing. The "optical break" was to reduce network noise to effect the improvement. Assuming he's completely honest, which I'm not doubting, what conditions could cause his positive result?
View attachment 181688

FWIW, another guy on the forum is using this $2800 Melco S100 switch claiming SQ improvement, (but no mention of blind testing).
MELCO-S100-Front_1.png.648x460_q85.png
That's amazing that "he and a buddy" both got the identical result of 48 out of 50. Sorry, but I doubt that.

fastfreddy666

The TP link device is already obsolete. It's only 100mbit instead of 1 Gbit. So if you insist on using them buy two MC200CM (1) instead. There are probably easier ways to deal with ground loops. The only reason to buy two of these is if you have a ground loop you can't get rid of. Just make sure that all devices are connected to the same outlet. Most modern devices like NAS devices, DACS, receivers and TVs don't have grounded connectors (only two poles) so a ground loop is not likely. If you use a desktop PC as the streaming server you can theoretically get a ground loop but you can easily "break" that by using WIFI. If you have old school cable TV (CATV) directly connected to your TV or set-top box you can get a ground loop but you can easily break it by using a ground loop Isolator (2) You don't see CATV much anymore. They are superseded by digital cable & IPTV.

(1) https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Converter-Multi-Mode-MC200CM/dp/B003AVRLZI
(2) https://www.amazon.com/TII-220-Ground-Isolator-applications/dp/B0070Q6URO

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Optical would be a good pick for longer cable runs exceeding max length for ethernet (100 m?)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Optical would be a good pick for longer cable runs exceeding max length for ethernet (100 m?)
I have a Dell PoweConnect 2824 switch in my loft which, as well as being connected to the rooms and other switches in the house, is connected via two CAT5e cables (with link aggregation) to a TP-Link Managed Smart Switch in my garage (the CAT5e runs through a hose bought for the purpose). The cable length is around 25m (the garage is at the end of my garden) and I run a couple of servers in the garage.

One of these cables is faulty, so I'm currently running on a single connection. I am considering replacing the cable with fibre. I would need to source transceivers for the SFP ports in the 2824 and either a 1GbE media convertor or another switch with SFP ports (more likely as I would like link aggregation) for the garage.

I don't expect any of the above to have any impact on audio quality - but it will get me slightly closer to '5 nines' availability of my FLAC collection :)

audio2design

Major Contributor
And in other news the price of swamp land in Florida has increased by 75%.

Slightly possible if they are using shielded Ethernet cables which audiophiles love to use, especially the ones who don't understand ....well anything. Regular Ethernet. Ya. No.

Maybe if you had a really awful DAC implementation and it was susceptible to noise from data bursts causing power supply ripple and the optical I/F changed that but that's not just clutching at straws that is buying the whole straw factory though some audiophile stuff is really poorly designed.

AudiOhm

Why do we see so many claims of audio improvements from devices that are not in or have no effect on the audio chain.

When I see these claims like this I think of the uneducated...

Ohms

chris719

Well, if you want to avoid ground loops, you need to do something.

Yes, but it's not a common issue (no pun intended) because 99% of people and installations are using UTP.

Last edited:

chris719

Why do we see so many claims of audio improvements from devices that are not in or have no effect on the audio chain.

When I see these claims like this I think of the uneducated...

Ohms

Many (most?) people are bad at sorting out legitimate information from junk. Many snake oil vendors write pseudoscientific explanations that appear credible to those without any electronics background. Human auditory memory is also so poor that it is easy to get people to fool themselves into thinking they hear changes.

radix

Major Contributor
Yes, but it's not a common issue (no pun intended) because 99% of people and installations are using UTP.

This shielded cable tangent is a little off topic. Anyway, my point was if one uses STP, then one must do something special to avoid ground loops. It will depend on how you have structured wiring and if you want to use STP on both ends or in-wall. If you use it in-wall, then you need grounded wall jacks, which are not so common.

Top Bottom