• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRRS mic input not detected after adding a volume pot

quasar

Hi all,

I have been using the set-up of IEM (with mic) + USB-C DAC dongle (TRRS jack) as my primary audio set-up on my PC. I like this set-up with 1 minor gripe, and that is the lack of analog volume control. The IEM that I am using is sensitive and my PC's volume is pretty loud even when it is set to 1. I thought it would be nice if I can add a pot between the DAC and IEM to control the volume and continue using the IEM mic.

I don't want to deal with soldering yet so I got the TRRS terminal block for both the plug and jack for prototyping. I tested them with straight wires and my PC was able to detect both of the playback and recording devices from the USB-C DAC.
IEM -> TRRS plug --wires--> TRRS jack -> USB-C DAC -> PC

I then added a pot in between the TRRS plug and jack thinking everything would just work, except it didn't. My PC was able to detect and playback device but not the recording device. I left the wire that goes from TRRS plug to TRRS jack in place and only rewired the left and right audio channels and the groud to the pot. I don't understand why this is happening.
IEM -> TRRS plug --wires--> dual gang pot --wires--> TRRS jack --wires--> USB-C DAC -> PC

TRRS Plug -- Pot -- TRRS Jack
L <---> L out | L in <---> L
R <---> R out | R in <---> R
G <---------> G <--------> G
mic <-------------------> mic

I would really appreciate if anyone can explain what happened or help me troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks,
Quasar

Top Bottom