• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trouble with Classe’ sigma amp 2

Hello, I am new to Forums but looking for some help. I currently have Classe’ sigma series Pre-amp, a 5 channel Sigma series amp for my 2 B&W 804 D3 towers(bi-amped) and matching center channel and a 2 channel Sigma series for my rear speakers (804 D4)

The other day I turned my system on(have all three amps can bussed) wasn’t really paying attention at first, but soon noticed my rear speakers weren’t playing. Looked at the 2 channel amp and there was no power light or anything. Thought it popped the fuse( which I know means there is a deeper issue) ordered some new fuses, replaced the fuse(I did not disconnect any of the speaker cables) turned the system on, it fired up but then all of a sudden it sounded like firecrackers were going off in my living room. I shut the system off, unplugged it and now I am scared to even touch it. Did I fry my system? Does anyone know or experienced this before? PLEASE HELP. Thank you in advance

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Disconnect and check cables thoroughly, while disconnected switch the fuse of preamp and try to switch it on. Firecrackers don't sound good but what's done is done, at least you will know on what you stand after trying it out with cable's disconnected.

OP
C
Thanks for the response man. I really appreciate it. Going to disconnect all cables here in a bit and try to power it on. I have everything running thru a Furman power conditioner/surge protector, I know these things “wear down” after awhile…I’m wondering if that has something to do with it. It’s almost like something isn’t grounded or something. I’ve attached a photo so you can see what I am dealing with. What a f-ing mess, I know. Feel free to call me an idiot You wont hurt my feelings.

The only place I could find the fuse that true manual calls for was stupid Amazon…who I definitely don’t trust with anything related to electronics. I got 20 fuses for $8. That makes me worry as well

Attachments

• DC2CEA71-5D7B-40C7-ACA7-928E531BEB8A.jpeg
    DC2CEA71-5D7B-40C7-ACA7-928E531BEB8A.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 176EA9E0-20E9-4ECA-8AD6-CAEF60B986EE.jpeg
    176EA9E0-20E9-4ECA-8AD6-CAEF60B986EE.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 86

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It doesn't look bad regarding cabling (it's tagged and done neatly enough considering all), you should use more flexible cables in the future with TP-E shielding preferably. My guess is that speaker cable's got tangled and shorted out somewhere. That's why I told you to inspect them. Hopefully Sigma 2 survived, checked how much it costed when it come out in 2014. I am certain it's not a power conditioner input (by the way it protects the gear only from that side).

OP
C
Well I changed the fuse, plugged it into the wall, turned it on and it did this scared the shit out of me inspected the cables, there are a few minor breaks here and there but that’s it

Have you ever heard that sound before? I just so happen to have brand new cables and connections(Audioquest, yea yea I know not the greatest but it will at least tell me if your theory is correct, which I hope you are right and thats all it is is a speaker wire that got tangled somewhere)on the bright side the pre amp and the 5 channel still work, just had Tool blasting at 110db so some good news. Neighbors hate me. Oh well.

I just had a thought, you don’t mean that that speaker cable getting kinked or whatever did permanent damage to the amp right? Or do you think I’m screwed. Hagel is the closest to Classe’ that would work with my system and just a 2 channel is $6500. Or I might go with Macintosh and just start over. What do you think? Thanks for the advice man, I do appreciate it

Attachments

• 51A873F3-9CCB-4167-A48D-494F33B90DAB.jpeg
    51A873F3-9CCB-4167-A48D-494F33B90DAB.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 52

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
How about that you ask around (at manufacturer) for repair possibility and how much would it cost you first. Why would you start from start again? At worst you need a new stereo amp. Those are back speakers so they will at best play about 30% lower than front mains so you don't exactly need neither state of the art or loads of power in a amp to power tham. You would be surprised how much old 90W Yamaha A-S700 can push clean and with SINAD over 90 dB but I doubt you will find new ones (deliberately chose that one for it's analog input stage of 110 dB over similar newer ones that are 6~10 dB worser). If however you want to push the Hype(x) and money ain't a problem (to a reasonable extent of course) take a look at ATI lineup for it's long warranty and parts availability (repairability) policy.
Classe mumbled about upgrade would be available for preamp later on (to HDMI 2.0 from 1.4 at the time) in Audiophonics interview but I don't know if that ever happened. I assume you would benefit from such while staying on setup that you know well.
Edit: that's bizarre crackling noise in the video and it sounds like mechanical one (I don't have slightest idea what could have been making such).

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
You're trying to blame cheap fuses? It was already broken. How would more expensive fuses have helped? And power conditioners that "wear down"? What does that mean?

Equipment gets old and breaks. Fact.

You need to spend some time educating yourself on this forum because you have some misconceptions. There's nothing special or magical about Classe or B&W (aside from the price) and you really don't have to spend a lot of money to resolve this.

OP
C
You're trying to blame cheap fuses? It was already broken. How would more expensive fuses have helped? And power conditioners that "wear down"? What does that mean?

Equipment gets old and breaks. Fact.

You need to spend some time educating yourself on this forum because you have some misconceptions. There's nothing special or magical about Classe or B&W (aside from the price) and you really don't have to spend a lot of money to resolve this

OP
C
Ok smart guy, all powerful one, how do I fix it? Did you watch the video? Tell me what the simple fix is. What system do you have? Cmon pull some pics off the internet…I’ll wait.

That’s what I’m trying to do is EDUCATE MYSELF, why do you think I’m asking all the questions. Jesus you are a fucking douch. This is the first time I’ve ever been on a forum and will be my last. Zolalll is actually trying to help and I really appreciate it. Let’s see your Walmart special raindance

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Ok smart guy, all powerful one, how do I fix it? Did you watch the video? Tell me what the simple fix is. What system do you have? Cmon pull some pics off the internet…I’ll wait.

That’s what I’m trying to do is EDUCATE MYSELF, why do you think I’m asking all the questions. Jesus you are a fucking douch. This is the first time I’ve ever been on a forum and will be my last. Zolalll is actually trying to help and I really appreciate it. Let’s see your Walmart special raindance
Just remember - one person does not a forum make.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

OK you’re new here so this gets a free pass. We don’t permit personal insults like the above bolded text. Some people can come across brash and rude. Just ignore them and keep working on getting the information you seek. We have a lot of very talented engineers here. Next time hit the Report button and let the Moderators handle it and don’t reply to the rudies. Welcome Aboard @Classe’ Sigma Lover. Like @tonycollinet just mentioned we’re not all the same here. ;)

Top Bottom