• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tropical Cyclone Irma

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Almost four days in repair mode now:

upload_2017-9-15_3-3-49.png

The folks across the bay would seem to be having more problems. The map numbers are multiple locations/areas, not individual meters.

upload_2017-9-15_3-15-26.png

"The most Duke Energy customers without power at any given time was 1.28 million customers on Monday, Sept. 11 at 3 p.m. Duke Energy serves 1.8 million customers in Florida."

"As crews respond to make repairs and restore service, specific estimated times of restoration will be updated for individual areas and customers. Currently, the company expects to complete power restoration to customers following areas:

• By midnight Friday, Sept. 15: The western portion of its service area. This includes Pinellas and Pasco counties
  • By midnight Sunday, Sept. 17: central and northern portions of the service area. This includes Alachua, Bay, Brevard, Citrus, Columbia, Dixie, Flagler, Franklin, Gilchrist, Gulf, Hamilton, Hernando, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lake, Leon, Levy, Madison, Marion, Orange, Osceola, Polk, Seminole, Sumter, Suwannee, Taylor, Volusia, and Wakulla counties."
That would, at this time, seem to be a very ambitious estimate, looking at the map above.

upload_2017-9-15_4-20-24.png

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Duke says their map tool isn't working so well, so the above map isn't accurate.

"We appreciate your patience as we work as safely and quickly as possible to restore service after Hurricane Irma. Currently, our online outage reporting tool is not updating properly – and outage numbers on the automated system do not reflect current outages and customers restored. Until this is correct, we will provide updated outage numbers through our online channels: news releases, Facebook and Twitter. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Wiped out: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/americas/irma-barbuda-population-trnd/index.html

The island of Barbuda was decimated by Hurricane Irma, to the extent of almost total extinction...no one person lives there now.

If you were an investor, would you invest in rebuilding, with the risk of the next hurricane?
_____

How vulnerable our power grids, nuclear reactors, wind turbines, satellite communication network, Internet and cellular distribution systems are, plus all the humans using them?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/opinions/earth-dodges-a-cosmic-bullet-opinion-lincoln/index.html
_____

Our planet is changing, our solar system is changing, our temperature is warming, our atmosphere is transforming, our human race is adapting, our Galaxy is evolving.
We are recovering...

That last link above, and the first link too; plus all the other stuff...scientific and ecological and economic and geographic and social and diplomatic and political and cultural and psychological...all that jazz is part of our dealings with the changes of time.

Yes, we depend on electricity, on gas, on water, on cultivable lands, on food, on life, on each other, on family, on our friends and neighbors.
We depend on jobs, on paychecks, on ourselves and on our hi-fi stereo sound systems to play music. ...Be it from analog turntables, tapes, digital hi-res download audio files, Blu-rays, CDs, Tidal, Sirius, Roon, SACDs, DVDs, all that jazz.

We depends on batteries, on the hearts beating inside our bodies and on the passage of blood through the veins of our tunnel's network...biological health.

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Duke says their map tool isn't working so well, so the above map isn't accurate.

"We appreciate your patience as we work as safely and quickly as possible to restore service after Hurricane Irma. Currently, our online outage reporting tool is not updating properly – and outage numbers on the automated system do not reflect current outages and customers restored. Until this is correct, we will provide updated outage numbers through our online channels: news releases, Facebook and Twitter. We apologize for any inconvenience."
I give a tip of the hat to Duke for all that they offer in the way of online support tools, etc.
Commonwealth Edison up in Chicago didn't have stuff like Duke supplies AFAIR

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys in Florida caused all kinds of problems for my brother. He purchased a Samsung TV end of last week. Being a 'smart' TV it needed to connect to Samsung servers for updates, firmware upgrade and a few other things. It kept showing cannot connect to server.

Eventually I figured out, Samsung TV servers are in Tampa Bay. They went down with the storm and were damaged. They had one back up and working in a couple days, but it apparently is overwhelmed. Anyway, it finally connected to the server late last night. Hooray!

Yeah, firstworld problems of interconnected hardware dependent upon software servers.

Hope all of our Florida and Caribbean members get things back to normal very soon. I'm somewhat encouraged with all the outages the internet appears to have managed to work somewhat for most places as it is.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/us/climate-change-hurricanes-harvey-and-irma/index.html

I don't take statistics, I don't assemble coordinates of data for the last billion years, I did not go to the University and get a degree in Climatology, no PhD in Scientific Weather (Arts is my domain), I am not the president of the United States of America, and I don't dance Flamingo if I don't have to and neither play Calypso music while sleeping.

To ignore the chances of probability of our planet's reality and of the 7.5 billion of people living on it is like building a bullet train in the most desertic and harsh corners of the Russia desert where no one lives. There might be oil underground and the areas might get warmer one day for cities to be build on and for people to live in.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My community here is now having a problem with the water table, the lake we frontage on, and ground saturation. Combine that with the aged sewer system that is leaksing due to cracks, roots, etc; and our waste treatment station is overloaded. I'm under a minimal to zero water usage order, I can use water but not let it go down the drain. :( Don't know what's going to happen, things are at a critical point right now. :mad:

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Can't believe people misread a hopeful graph like that. Hey it's starting to flatten out. Might reach equilibrium or might even begin descending past the peak. Looks like it will top out below 25 million.

Everyone wants Trump to drain the swamp. Florida is a place that was all swamp, and they mostly drained it. Look how things took off after that. There is a reason things take off after 1928.

http://www.politico.eu/article/hurr...iem-the-paradise-that-should-never-have-been/

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Everyone wants Trump to drain the swamp. Florida is a place that was all swamp, and they mostly drained it
"Half the Everglades has been drained or paved for agriculture and development, so in the rainy season, water managers have to dump excess water into estuaries and what’s left of the Everglades."

Maybe we should build a pipeline to the Land of Fruits & Nuts (aka California). They're already sucking the lifeblood from the liquid bounty in the north trying to farm a desert. We have plenty and would sell to them at a reasonable cost, with only a minimal amount of our seniors depends runoff included. :eek::D

Top Bottom