• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude / JBL SDP-75

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow - super! What settings do you use?

I can’t see yours clearly, take a better screenshot and I will spot the differences :)

Here’s the amplitude tab, same speaker, no subs. As you can see I am trying to equalize without making big changes over 400-500Hz. The two graphs are similar, but the “after” is a bit smoother and down-sloping

99FD1204-F9F5-4E97-A289-F497B3221B4C.png

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
(Display smoothing is at 1/3)

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
I think my equalisation is "milder" overall
I am not a pro, so not sure if this is the reason for the pre-ringing differences

3.png

2.png

Olli

Forum Donor
I think my equalisation is "milder" overall
I am not a pro, so not sure if this is the reason for the pre-ringing differences

Great, thanks for sharing. Would you mind posting your FR with 1/12 smoothing?

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Great, thanks for sharing. Would you mind posting your FR with 1/12 smoothing?
No problem, Same speaker-no subs, cross is at 80Hz

1E38C039-F6DB-4368-9EFE-31C8DF574BB4.jpeg

I avoid watching at graphs with 1/12 or 1/24 smoothing. o_O
I get the urge to equalize everything and then it sounds worse. ;)

Olli

Forum Donor
I avoid watching at graphs with 1/12 or 1/24 smoothing. o_O
I get the urge to equalize everything and then it sounds worse. ;)

Haha. I know what you mean. That drove me to my settings that resulted in a nice FR, but pre-ringing.

I got a tweaked setting from Trinnov this afternoon, will share the results this evening.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
That drove me to my settings that resulted in a nice FR, but pre-ringing.
Are you sure that what you heard was pre-ringing?

Olli

Forum Donor
Are you sure that what you heard was pre-ringing?

Yes. Matches the descriptions I read - a bit like playing a sound backwards. I guess you need to concentrate on it to really hear it, I only realised it when doing AB testing with my Audiolense setup.

So maybe no major issue in casual everyday listening/watching.

Olli

Forum Donor
I got an improved setting from Trinnov last week which I really liked. It did not really cure the pre-ringing, but the low end is much more pleasant now. Still not matching the tight sound you get from Audiolense though.

The key changes are:
  • Deleted the MLP Left and right point. Working with just one point.
  • Lowered the FIR length to 100 ms and pushed the IIR to 50 .
  • Changed the room to MODULUS and get back the IIR max frequency to 150 Hz.
I remeasured today the improved Trinnov setting and my current reference Audiolense setting, trying to get the target curves as closely aligned as possible in the different softwares. Here are the results:

FR L:

1609422501192.png

FR R:
1609422617546.png

FR Averaged:
1609422652842.png

Step Response & GD Trinnov L:

1609422703474.png

1609423584102.png

Step Response & GD AL L:
1609422752841.png

1609423636732.png

Zoom in FR and Phase < 200Hz Trinnov L:
1609423133123.png

Zoom in FR and Phase < 200Hz AL L:

1609423205604.png

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
I got an improved setting from Trinnov last week which I really liked. It did not really cure the pre-ringing, but the low end is much more pleasant now. Still not matching the tight sound you get from Audiolense though.

The key changes are:
  • Deleted the MLP Left and right point. Working with just one point.
  • Lowered the FIR length to 100 ms and pushed the IIR to 50 .
  • Changed the room to MODULUS and get back the IIR max frequency to 150 Hz.
I remeasured today the improved Trinnov setting and my current reference Audiolense setting, trying to get the target curves as closely aligned as possible in the different softwares. Here are the results:

FR L:

View attachment 102638

FR R:
View attachment 102639

FR Averaged:
View attachment 102640

Step Response & GD Trinnov L:

View attachment 102641

View attachment 102645

Step Response & GD AL L:
View attachment 102642

View attachment 102646

Zoom in FR and Phase < 200Hz Trinnov L:
View attachment 102643

Zoom in FR and Phase < 200Hz AL L:

View attachment 102644
Are these FR measurements from a single point, or MMM/averaged around your listening area?

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
single point.
So not so relevant ;)

Better use multiple points around your listening area and average them, or MMM

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Previous L-R measurements, 1/12 smoothing, MMM. Trinnov
(I am not using this preset/filter set anymore)

@Olli I think you are doing something wrong. ;)

Untitled.jpg

Olli

Forum Donor
So not so relevant ;)

Better use multiple points around your listening area and average them, or MMM

Haha. I know the multi point measurement is your thing. Fun fact: I initially used 3 measurements with the Altitude. Trinnov recommend to reduce this to a single point measurement...

But agree, your measurements look super!

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Haha. I know the multi point measurement is your thing. Fun fact: I initially used 3 measurements with the Altitude. Trinnov recommend to reduce this to a single point measurement...

But agree, your measurements look super!
They look super, but they don’t sound as super as they are set now...which is less “super” ;)

I use 8 for calibration. But I wasn’t a referring to that. What I actually meant was multipoint REW measurements.

Single point measurements are pointless. I need both ears for listening, and they are spaced apart some cm :)
And I don’t listen to music fixed in one position. I might lean to one side or the other, or sit a bit lower sometimes.
So I want all this area to be smooth.

I also listen to music with my wife and daughter, or a friend. So I need two seats to sound good.
(and more speakers, why use only 2? :))

I don’t understand the point of single point measurements for FR. They are of course meaningful for Step Response, Group Delay and RT/Spectrogram measurements, but not for FR.

Olli

Forum Donor
I use 8 for calibration. But I wasn’t a referring to that. What I actually meant was multipoint REW measurements.

Single point measurements are pointless. I need both ears for listening, and they are spaced apart some cm :)
And I don’t listen to music fixed in one position. I might lean to one side or the other, or sit a bit lower sometimes.
So I want all this area to be smooth.

I might get it for generating the filters, although also here there seem to be 2 schools of thought.

But what is not logical to me in your line of argumentation is that with the identical measurement method & position (single point in my case) I am getting a very good result with Audiolense, and a less good result with Trinnov (lets say, good result is even FR). So to me it looks like the DRC software is the reason, not the measurement method.

I am rather wondering if you a) have a studio kind of listening room to get to these excellent results or b) something‘s wrong with my Trinnov measurment Mic...

Anyways, happy to try MMM when I have some extra time and look at the results.

Last edited:

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
I am rather wondering if you a) have a studio kind of listening room to get to these excellent results
My room is probably one of the worst ever listening rooms. It’s Τ/L shaped (something in between), with awful modes.
I have spend lots of money and time to improve it, and retrospectively speaking if I knew then what I know now I would never have bought it (the house)

Anyways, happy to try MMM when I have some extra time and look at the results.
This could be enlightening. Or else you are doing something wrong with your calibration.
But what is not logical to me in your line of argumentation is that with the identical measurement method & position (single point in my case) I am getting a very good result with Audiolense, and a less good result with Trinnov (lets say, good result is even FR). So to me it looks like the DRC software is the reason, not the measurement method.
What’s the significance of a flat slope in a single point measurement? Is it really indicating a good result?
there seem to be 2 schools of thought
I am convinced that @Floyd Toole is right.;)
And I have played a lot with Dirac, manual filters and Trinnov Optimiser. Many years. And listened a lot to many curves.
Toole is right.

mitchco

Audio Company

Yes, this has been my experience as well.

The important part is understanding how each DRC/DSP software/system works. Some DRC software are "designed" to use a single point measurement analysis at the MLP as they use an algorithmic approach to average the low frequency correction. Multipoint measurements use the "brute force" approach of dropping the mic at various locations around the listening position and average the response. Here is the issue and @Dimifoot has already said with respect to his measurements, "they look super, but they don’t sound as super as they are set now...which is less “super” ;) Having been there myself, I agree. And there are technical reasons for it.

Here is what is happening. The multipoint measurement approach uses the full inversion of each measured response for averaging. That is trying to account for too much variation, hence the over correction. While the bass measures smooth, it sounds (incoming subjective words) dry, lifeless, not dynamic, compressed, limited. It is especially prevalent in DRC systems that not only use the multi-point measurement/averaging approach but do not offer the user a control for "how much" (over - joking) correction is even applied. So more = better. And there is no way to change it. This has been my experience with (all of) these type of DRC systems that rely on this multi-point measurement/averaging approach. See section on minimum phase invertibility to understand the context of my meaning.

In contrast, DRC software that is designed to use a single point measurement analysis/algorithmic approach, with a correction filter designed and in circuit, not only measures just as well at multiple locations around the listening position, more importantly, the bass response sounds tight, dynamic and clear with no hint of over correction. If you know how to read a step response chart, then you can see where I have used a single point measurement analysis to design and generate a correction. With the filter in the circuit, I took 14 measurements around a 6ft x 2ft grid area of both left and right speakers at every point. Referring to how to read a step response chart, one can see that the 14 measurements are near identical over a 6ft x 2ft grid area. The frequency responses of those steps are just as smooth and posted on ASR somewhere and in my DSP book. The step response is much more revealing of low frequency response anomalies not only the direct sound, but over time.

This is the major advantage of a single point measurement analysis approach, if the DSP software was designed to be used in this way. Plus the user is in complete control of all correction parameters, including by how much. This is why it is important to understand how each DRC package works and most importantly, based on the technology and approach used, how does it sound!

Further, low frequency excess phase correction with 65,536 or even 131,072 tap filters provides full bass control with excess phase correction windowing capabilities of 800 ms at 10 Hz. This is why in my step responses you see here on ASR follows the target response, not just for the first 5ms, but for 100's of milliseconds. The vast majority of DRC systems, whether software or h/w don't have this excess phase capability at all as they are using IIR filters at low frequencies. Even if the tech changed from IIR to FIR at the low frequencies, the current limitation on h/w DRC makes it technically impossible to hold 65,536 tap filters. Most are limited to 8072 taps or less. There is not enough resolution to be effective under 100 Hz.

These are the technical reasons why these multi-point DRC measurements systems won't "sound as good" in the low frequencies as compared Acourate or Audiolense. PS. both Acourate and Audiolense can do multi-point measurements and analysis. But the tradeoffs are very similar to what has already been discussed because it is the approach that yields the issue. It sounds less over corrected than the multi-point systems because of the analysis algorithm, but myself and others prefer the sound of the single point measurement analysis/algo approach as the bass response sounds the best, and still measures great at multiple locations :)

Bulldogger

The vast majority of DRC systems, whether software or h/w don't have this excess phase capability at all as they are using IIR filters at low frequencies. Even if the tech changed from IIR to FIR at the low frequencies, the current limitation on h/w DRC makes it technically impossible to hold 65,536 tap filters. Most are limited to 8072 taps or less. There is not enough resolution to be effective under 100 Hz.

These are the technical reasons why these multi-point DRC measurements systems won't "sound as good" in the low frequencies as compared Acourate or Audiolense. PS. both Acourate and Audiolense can do multi-point measurements and analysis. But the tradeoffs are very similar to what has already been discussed because it is the approach that yields the issue. It sounds less over corrected than the multi-point systems because of the analysis algorithm, but myself and others prefer the sound of the single point measurement analysis/algo approach as the bass response sounds the best, and still measures great at multiple locations :)
Can the situation with these prepros be improved in systems that use subwoofers with their own correction, JL Audio or Martin Logan for example, by apply the correction of the sub before these DRC systems are used?

Top Bottom