• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude / JBL SDP-75

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, if @amirm is okay for such a fastidious task and if his reception of your 8351B and Trinnov are close enough, he could compare GLM, Trinnov's thing and maybe Audyssey and Dirac?
Literally arriving within the same week and I’ll be sending @amirm the GLM kit tomorrow but it’s up to him as I know his time is quite constrained now - what with being a YouTube star and adoring groupies to deal with!

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm giving Amir an opportunity to test it to his heart's content, but this is a good time for everybody to list all the things that he can reasonably test? Maybe somebody can start a new thread of exactly the measurements they would like to see in addition to his regular body of data points so that it's comprehensive for future reference (and it will definitely help Trinnov).

I'd like to see the center channel measured, possibly the rears. Also, a simple PEQ filter that could be standardized to see the performance of the processor with 7.1 channels and 80Hz roll off.

- Rich

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be a dream set-up and I think the Genelec Experience Center near Boston is darn close:
3x 8351B main L/C/R
4x 8341A bed surround and rear
6x 8341A overhead ceiling/height

Wow, I had no idea Genelec had such a thing, especially within 30 mins of where I live! If they are open, I am going to go check it out. Thanks!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just keep in mind guys that the Trinnov is so much more than the DACs. It will probably test in the high 90s which lets face it is near perfect for real use anyway. The Trinnov does things like you won't believe with the optimizer. From near perfect EQ to being aware of where your speakers are positioned in space and correcting for that on the fly and in real time. It just makes all the speakers disappear. Units like the storm while great units for sure just do not do this. That is power of real time processing through an x86 cpu rather that a pile of limited DSP chips. One other thing. The Altitude 32 has better dacs than the 16 so it can only get better from there up. I saw the Lyngdorf mentioned here. Take it from me, it is forgettable. Bonus: Trinnov + Wisdom Audio line source = paradise.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just keep in mind guys that the Trinnov is so much more than the DACs. It will probably test in the high 90s which lets face it is near perfect for real use anyway. The Trinnov does things like you won't believe with the optimizer. From near perfect EQ to being aware of where your speakers are positioned in space and correcting for that on the fly and in real time. It just makes all the speakers disappear. Units like the storm while great units for sure just do not do this. That is power of real time processing through an x86 cpu rather that a pile of limited DSP chips. One other thing. The Altitude 32 has better dacs than the 16 so it can only get better from there up. I saw the Lyngdorf mentioned here. Take it from me, it is forgettable. Bonus: Trinnov + Wisdom Audio line source = paradise.
Due to an enormous amount of incredibly poor measurements over the years I won't take anything for granted, even in Trinnov's case, but I do think this stuff is more about system capability than individual aspects such as certain measurements.

That being said it's not at all ok to have an insanely expensive pc with shit dac's that degrades the performance of middle-tier amplifiers. For me personally I will throw Trinnov straight to the trashcan in my mind if I find out that the noise is not sufficiently suppressed to be a worthy candidate for high-sensitivity drivers.

Due to an enormous amount of incredibly poor measurements over the years I won't take anything for granted, even in Trinnov's case, but I do think this stuff is more about system capability than individual aspects such as certain measurements.

That being said it's not at all ok to have an insanely expensive pc with shit dac's that degrades the performance of middle-tier amplifiers. For me personally I will throw Trinnov straight to the trashcan in my mind if I find out that the noise is not sufficiently suppressed to be a worthy candidate for high-sensitivity drivers.

It works well with sensitive speakers. Having heard it installed in my company's reference system which features Wisdom Audio Sage L75s I can at least subjectively say it is noticeably better than other "high end" processors such as Lyngdorf, McIntosh, Anthem, etc... Nothing else I've heard has such a noticeable delta from anything else. Heck even some of these separates don't sound any different from a flagship receiver like a Denon X8500H. The Trinnov however actually does something.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
For me personally I will throw Trinnov straight to the trashcan in my mind if I find out that the noise is not sufficiently suppressed to be a worthy candidate for high-sensitivity drivers.
If you are not satisfied, you can always use the digital outs of the Altitude 32.
Or change the DAC board (a new one is coming)

I am quite confident that all Trinnov products have the same DACs, and they haven’t changed them for a long time (10 years? More?)

In their specs, in some of their pro products, you can see that the SINAD is 98. So it might be even lower for a complex processor with the same DACs.

https://www.trinnov.com/en/products/ovation2/#Specifications

The Altitude 16 is rated up to 96kHz sampling, while the 32 is rated up to 192kHz sampling. This could be indicative of different DACs.

If you are not satisfied, you can always use the digital outs of the Altitude 32.
Or change the DAC board (a new one is coming)

How do you know a new DAC board is coming? I was told by my Trinnov rep that HDMI 2.1 is coming but he said there weren't any plans for new DACs or a new overall unit.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
The Altitude 16 is rated up to 96kHz sampling, while the 32 is rated up to 192kHz sampling. This could be indicative of different DACs.
No, the intel processor is different (i3/i7) that’s the reason
How do you know a new DAC board is coming? I was told by my Trinnov rep that HDMI 2.1 is coming but he said there weren't any plans for new DACs or a new overall unit.
“For example, we began preparing a minor, rolling change to our DAC boards that will end up improving the measurements a bit, though any audibility is likely to be small.”
https://www.trinnov.com/en/blog/posts/the-altitude-platform-advances-in-2021/

Dimifoot

Forum Donor

Unground

No, the intel processor is different (i3/i7) that’s the reason

“For example, we began preparing a minor, rolling change to our DAC boards that will end up improving the measurements a bit, though any audibility is likely to be small.”
https://www.trinnov.com/en/blog/posts/the-altitude-platform-advances-in-2021/

This might be wishful thinking, but I hope the 'any audibility is likely to be small' part indicates a level of honesty sadly absent in much of the industry.

Personally, I was hoping a new DAC would give greater authority, deftness and, of course, soundstage. Possibly four dimensional.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Personally, I was hoping a new DAC would give greater authority, deftness and, of course, soundstage. Possibly four dimensional.
I am more than happy with all these, using the current DACs. I am not in a rush to change them.

This might be wishful thinking, but I hope the 'any audibility is likely to be small' part indicates a level of honesty sadly absent in much of the industry.

I err on the side of honesty. My Trinnov rep for example is one of the most honest guys in the industry in my opinion. He's never shied away from anything I've asked him, is like an audio encyclopedia, and prior to Trinnov he worked for a multiple speaker manufactures the most former of which I consider to be one of the greatest in existence and best of all they too are a no nonsense company. I confirmed that by asking the folks there about the importance of "high end" cables and they said it does not matter, they've done multiple tests, just use something good and thicker gauge by A/V installer standards not "audiophile" standards. That's from the mouth of a company who makes $100,000 speakers and does so through a manufacturing process that actually makes said price make sense.

Top Bottom