• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude / JBL SDP-75

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can the situation with these prepros be improved in systems that use subwoofers with their own correction, JL Audio or Martin Logan for example, by apply the correction of the sub before these DRC systems are used?
Below 100Hz your room plays such a significant role as it applies to room modes, sub placement, size of room, etc. that applying a dedicated correction to the sub before DRC is the way to go because the DRC will then incorporate these corrections into its own calculations by taking into account the delay caused by the bass management's processing. But if you move your subwoofers you'll have to do both all over again.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hey all,

So I believe I am going to pull the trigger on an Altitude 16. One thing I am trying to find an answer on:

How is Input Sensitivity handled by the Trinnov? Is it a global value that can be changed (like the HTP-1) or can it be changed for specific outputs?
Asking as I have a combination of NC502 and NC252 amps. The 502's have a Vrms of 2.4 and the 252's Vrms of 1.8

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It can’t be changed

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
No, but you can email them and ask.
What I know though, is that the matching power amp (Amplitude) has a gain of 19db while the ncores have 26db.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Bslanced output is 6 volt max, RCA 3V on Amethyst , guess the others are similar

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Note you can set the relative gain of each input source, and you can also set the gain of each speaker (output to amplifier), if you need to fine-tune the gain settings of you new toy, errr, Trinnov.

laidick

Forum Donor
I too just pulled the trigger on the Altitude 16 and yes, it's being sent to Amir for review :eek:
This is excellent!!!!
This will be the first top class AV processor in ASR. Thank you so much.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I too just pulled the trigger on the Altitude 16 and yes, it's being sent to Amir for review :eek:

Wow, very generous of you to send such an expensive unit for test, thank you very much. I hope Amir will take the time to test this thing fully such as including a test with a power amp, and more importantly, test also Trinnov!!

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Don’t expect SINAD higher than 98.
The pro version (Ovation) specs are here
https://www.trinnov.com/en/products/ovation2/#Specifications

From what I know the DACs are the same, close to 10 years old, they haven’t changed them since they started with these products.
The Altitude engineering might be even more complicated since it’s also streamer etc.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, very generous of you to send such an expensive unit for test, thank you very much. I hope Amir will take the time to test this thing fully such as including a test with a power amp, and more importantly, test also Trinnov!!
I'm giving Amir an opportunity to test it to his heart's content, but this is a good time for everybody to list all the things that he can reasonably test? Maybe somebody can start a new thread of exactly the measurements they would like to see in addition to his regular body of data points so that it's comprehensive for future reference (and it will definitely help Trinnov).

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t expect SINAD higher than 98.
The pro version (Ovation) specs are here
https://www.trinnov.com/en/products/ovation2/#Specifications

From what I know the DACs are the same, close to 10 years old, they haven’t changed them since they started with these products.
The Altitude engineering might be even more complicated since it’s also streamer etc.
Agreed. Prospective customers need to understand the design and engineering objective of the Altitude processors. It's focus is perfectly representing the immersive cinematic experience - I'm paying a premium in order to get accurately placed audio objects in 3D space moving about. Assuming I have the right room, speakers, etc., the Altitude must deliver this 3D sound space better than anything else on the market, period. Everything else is secondary to this vision and it may not be what some consumers expect. The reason I chose the Altitude is to review Atmos content (movie, music, etc.) - the content's mixing decisions as it relates to the immersive experience. I'm not looking for that last echo after the spittle strikes a microphone but if that spittle is supposed to be placed just behind my ear, well, I definitely want to hear that! I also need the object visualizer for these reviews so that consumers know what to expect from their movie/music when buying certain Atmos content. If you're paying for 7.1.4 speaker array, well you want content that shows it off - but how do we know if it's even mixed for Atmos without something like this visualizer? My subjective impressions are not good enough - can totally BS about hearing this or that and you'd never know.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not very knowledgable about Trinnov, but isn't room correction with their funky multi-mic their main selling point apart from the 16 channels and upsamplers?
Yes, definitely. And their software based approach to Dolby decoding rather than using a dedicated decoding chip like everybody else. The software approach provides great flexibility, for example the object visualizer is not possible with a chip. Their engineers threw that together over a weekend.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes, definitely. And their software based approach to Dolby decoding rather than using a dedicated decoding chip like everybody else. The software approach provides great flexibility, for example the object visualizer is not possible with a chip. Their engineers threw that together over a weekend.
The visualizer appears to be a great tool to aid speaker setup.. I'd love to have it but it's out of my financial wheelhouse. :(

Dimifoot

Forum Donor

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Actually, if @amirm is okay for such a fastidious task and if his reception of your 8351B and Trinnov are close enough, he could compare GLM, Trinnov's thing and maybe Audyssey and Dirac?

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Actually, if @amirm is okay for such a fastidious task and if his reception of your 8351B and Trinnov are close enough, he could compare GLM, Trinnov's thing and maybe Audyssey and Dirac?
Has anyone sent 11 pieces of 8351B?
:eek::D

Top Bottom