• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

TGB

Doesn't it offer support for 32 channels? I'm desperately waiting and hoping 2.1 will solve my EQ issues. I tried for a couple months to get Audiolense working for my Auro3D setup. Since 2.0 only supports 7.1, I had to try and get ASIO to work, but was never able to take a successful measurement over ASIO(tried 3 different windows machines and 2 different AVRs). I was hoping 2.1 would let us bury ASIO, which IME is super buggy.
HDMI 2.0 support 1536kHz in 24bit. How you decide to use this is up to you, but an interesting number will pop up if you divide it by 32... 1536/32 = 48, giving you 24bit/48kHz in (up to) 32 channels or 1536/192 = 8. I don't think HDMI 2.1 increase this bandwidth

Blackdevil77

I'm more or less ready to take the plunge on this processor. I'm just hesitant because of the tremendous price. Anybody care to talk me out of it? Currently use an AVM 60 that I've had for years.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I'm more or less ready to take the plunge on this processor. I'm just hesitant because of the tremendous price. Anybody care to talk me out of it? Currently use an AVM 60 that I've had for years.
I will also buy this but will wait few months until trinnov adds 2.1 and improves/replaces their DAC to handle 24/192. Currently using denon a110 as just a prepro.

Golfx

Forum Donor
No they just tweaked the software and got some improvement. They did promise Amir they were going to improve DAC/SINAD more.

dlinsley

Forum Donor
I will also buy this but will wait few months until trinnov adds 2.1 and improves/replaces their DAC to handle 24/192. Currently using denon a110 as just a prepro.

The A16 tops out at 24/96, and not because of the DAC. If you want 192k through the processor to the DAC, you'll need to move to the A32.

Golfx

Forum Donor
The A16 tops out at 24/96, and not because of the DAC. If you want 192k through the processor to the DAC, you'll need to move to the A32.
Or wait for the update to the altitude 16??

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Never bothered me. I have few 24/192 files, and I have Roon playing them as 24/96.
I am not a bat.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You only live once is my motto - and more importantly, if it gives you more reason to stay at home with the family, well, that's a wonderful excuse to tell the spouse!

laidick

Forum Donor
I was using AVM60 and just upgraded to Altitude 16.
I am glad that I made this decision and never going back.
It's completely different league.

Blackdevil77

I know the adjustability probably shoots it into another universe from the 60, but did you notice any audio improvements? With the AVM 60, I would only correct up to 200/250 hz. I'm assuming this processor you can "correct" the full frequency range to implement a target curve without issue.

laidick

Forum Donor
I know the adjustability probably shoots it into another universe from the 60, but did you notice any audio improvements? With the AVM 60, I would only correct up to 200/250 hz. I'm assuming this processor you can "correct" the full frequency range to implement a target curve without issue.

Trinnov can fix not just the frequency, it also fix the impluse , phase, delay. As well as remapping to fix your speaker position.
The surround experience is another level that not other processor can compare.

Blackdevil77

Trinnov can fix not just the frequency, it also fix the impluse , phase, delay. As well as remapping to fix your speaker position.
The surround experience is another level that not other processor can compare.

Looking forward to it. How complicated is it to get working well? I'm no pro, but am fairly knowledgeable. I currently have my system calibrated using REW and the onboard DSP in my crown amps, setting the delay, eq etc and used MSO to help get my subs dialed in and get good seat to seat consistency in the lower frequencies. I used ARC for the crossover and a little extra eq in the mains, as well as setting a universal target curve.

Is there a big learning curve? I keep hearing about how daunting it could be and it even takes some of the best pro's out there that have calibrated hundreds of systems using this processor, days to dial in completely.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Looking forward to it. How complicated is it to get working well? I'm no pro, but am fairly knowledgeable. I currently have my system calibrated using REW and the onboard DSP in my crown amps, setting the delay, eq etc and used MSO to help get my subs dialed in and get good seat to seat consistency in the lower frequencies. I used ARC for the crossover and a little extra eq in the mains, as well as setting a universal target curve.

Is there a big learning curve? I keep hearing about how daunting it could be and it even takes some of the best pro's out there that have calibrated hundreds of systems using this processor, days to dial in completely.
Not to worry because it is computer based you can have a pro calibrate it via the internet with you just moving the microphone. You likely can get the dealer to include setup.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

You should get very satisfying results easily, but it takes a lot of studying and experimentation to benefit from its full potential.

laidick

Forum Donor

I am very similar to you. I am new to Trinnov too, and familiar with REW, MSO, DSP etc...
I agree with others that this is easy to learn and get a good sound. But it will be hard to get 100% full potential from Trinnov.

The first thing I did is to read through the 160page manual while I am waiting for the delivery.

Now I am trying to experiment every single option during weekend. And still not able to try them all...as it's just too many things to try! Unlimited possibility.

Blackdevil77

I am very similar to you. I am new to Trinnov too, and familiar with REW, MSO, DSP etc...
I agree with others that this is easy to learn and get a good sound. But it will be hard to get 100% full potential from Trinnov.

The first thing I did is to read through the 160page manual while I am waiting for the delivery.

Now I am trying to experiment every single option during weekend. And still not able to try them all...as it's just too many things to try! Unlimited possibility.

I've been reading through the manual now. I'm more of a hands on learner, it'll probably make more sense to me once I get my hands on it. If I can get to a better result than I currently have with my AVM60, then I'll be happy. When I finally have all my atmos speakers and replace my rear subs with the ones I want back there permanently, I'll get a pro calibration.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Be sure to go through the Trinnov YouTube videos, lots of info there.

You can get it set up pretty quickly using the Optimizer. Tweaking from there is as simple or complicated as you want it to be. Mine is currently over-tweaked according to most users, with more and longer filters used, but I have not had time to fiddle with it. One cool thing is that you can copy a preset and play with most things without having to remeasure the response, so in my case going back and revamping all the filter settings and such is just a SW exercise, don't have to drag out the mic again.

Your dealer should do an initial run for you; my dealer offered, but COVID and offer issues had me doing it myself, with some handholding from the dealer and JBL (I have an SDP-75). I wish I had figured out a way to have him on-site to do the first run. It would have been a lot easier to get through the initial calibration with the dealer present to run it and ask questions. Mine provided some great insights not obvious in the manual, and some additional literature (essentially app notes) that helped get everything running.

There is also a Trinnov thread on AVS that is very active and provides a lot of help.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Well at almost SIX times the price glad to hear it is better!

Descartes

Major Contributor
Not to worry because it is computer based you can have a pro calibrate it via the internet with you just moving the microphone. You likely can get the dealer to include setup.
For an other couple thousand dollars!!!
That’s really crazy if or when I buy such a piece of hardware, I sure would like the dealer to install it and calibrate it especially because the profit margins are 40-50 points depending on the dealer!
Otherwise I will buy a Monoprice four time less expensive with DIRAC!

Top Bottom