• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

apgood

I'm wondering the same. Seems like the Trinnov is the only 16+ channel processor that's any good. I may cave eventually, but I wish there was a processor in the $10,000 range that performs well. Seems insane that that's too much to ask.
There is also the StormAudio, but isn't in the $10,000 either unless you can find a 2nd hand MK1 version.

In fact if you are asking for more than 16 channels Trinnov, StormAudio and Theta Digital are you only options that I'm aware of. Others like Monoprice, Emotive, etc top out at 16 channels think (Anthem AVM-90 might have a few extra subwoofer channels above the 16 but that is really the same channel duplicated).

Last edited:

Blackdevil77

There is also the StormAudio, but isn't in the $10,000 either unless you can find a 2nd hand MK1 version.

In fact if you are asking for more than 16 channels Trinnov, StormAudio and Theta Digital are you only options that I'm aware of. Others like Monoprice, Emotive, etc top out at 16 channels think (Anthem AVM-90 might have a few extra subwoofer channels above the 16 but that is really the same channel duplicated).

16 is all I need, but the only solid unit right now seems to be the Trinnov. Between the Storm Audio and Trinnov, I'd probably go with the Trinnov since they're about the same price. If the Storm Audio was cheaper, I'd probably go that route and save some money.

The AVM90 is interesting, but after seeing how the AVM60 measured, I'm not so sure anymore. That and all the bugs the AVM70 has. The AVM60 that I currently have sounds neutral and natural, but it has a sort of a veiled sound to it for some reason. Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks so.

apgood

16 is all I need, but the only solid unit right now seems to be the Trinnov. Between the Storm Audio and Trinnov, I'd probably go with the Trinnov since they're about the same price. If the Storm Audio was cheaper, I'd probably go that route and save some money.

The AVM90 is interesting, but after seeing how the AVM60 measured, I'm not so sure anymore. That and all the bugs the AVM70 has. The AVM60 that I currently have sounds neutral and natural, but it has a sort of a veiled sound to it for some reason. Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Yeah, I wouldn't go with the AVM90 either.

I have the StormAudio and am very happy with it. One of the reasons apart from getting a very good deal was that I can get digital out for all 32 channels with the StormAudio which makes it cc easy to connect to my Q-Sys core.

It has been rock solid for me.

Kain

Not sure if its been already discussed but any comments on how the MP-60 would compare to the Altitude16?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this could not be a very good , solution if one uses JBL speakers and desire to configure a 2-channel, MCH , Atmos or Auro or DS with Multi sub systems. It seems to do it all. Also comes with its own microphone and the price is ..OK I guess <$3500

Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't appear to have Atmos decoding built in at all, nor any HDMI inputs. It's purely for production, which doesn't require either of those.

Kain

I'm wondering the same. Seems like the Trinnov is the only 16+ channel processor that's any good. I may cave eventually, but I wish there was a processor in the $10,000 range that performs well. Seems insane that that's too much to ask.
Isn't the Lyngdorf MP-60 up there with the Altitude16 as well? As far as I know, Lyngdorf processors also measure well.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't appear to have Atmos decoding built in at all, nor any HDMI inputs. It's purely for production, which doesn't require either of those.
True but I would leave the processing to an AVR. There exist countless of these with the requisite number of channels for most HT and music purposes, below $1500. Their DRC , EQ and DAP are not flexible nor customizable. The Intonato would ( at a cost) presumably be better at those. The combo would not however have the same capabilities as the Trinnov for sure. It would cost less too. If one were to use something like a Demon 3700 that would be 1/3 the cost.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True but I would leave the processing to an AVR. There exist countless of these with the requisite number of channels for most HT and music purposes, below $1500. Their DRC , EQ and DAP are not flexible nor customizable. The Intonato would ( at a cost) presumably be better at those. The combo would not however have the same capabilities as the Trinnov for sure. It would cost less too. If one were to use something like a Demon 3700 that would be 1/3 the cost.

I don't think you can buy 16 channels of AVR for less than about $4000. So, sure, you could use it as a miniDSP alternative for like 11 channels or whatever, but I don't think it makes much sense. Unless you believe JBL room correction is just wayyyy better than Dirac, but frankly I doubt it. 2x DDRC-8A w/ BM upgrade is $2300. Dirac is also coming out in cheaper AVRs this year from Pioneer/Onkyo, so you can get it for <$1500 WITH the AVR.

The cheapest I see the Intonato is $3150. Also, it apparently has a pretty loud fan from comments on pro audio forums. Monoprice HTP-1 still seems like the best deal for 16 room corrected channels and Atmos/Auro3D.

Blackdevil77

@amirm Now that you've had your hands on both the Trinnov and StormAudio units, which would you choose if you had to choose one?

Golfx

Forum Donor
so just tried to look for Trinnov and Storm Audio within the Index and Rankings, but neither is listed there?.....
Use Google instead include ASR.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so just tried to look for Trinnov and Storm Audio within the Index and Rankings, but neither is listed there?.....
On the SR8015 ranking image, both the Storm and the Altitude are listed.

Attachments

• 082E706F-9334-45AF-9494-48C581A8595F.png
    082E706F-9334-45AF-9494-48C581A8595F.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 336

Ellisr63

Ive set up three of these now. I really like them. You really can’t compare the Japanese receivers and processors to this. It’s setup flexibility is nearly unmatched. I believe Storm and Datasat are similar but Trinnov has some capabilities I’ve only ever used with their processor.

besides the larger channel count, the DSP is so flexible it can be used as the core DSP of an active speaker. If you use an active home cinema speaker like Grimani and Procella, this can act as the crossover. It has tons of crossover options, PEQ, etc. The channel mux then lets you route whatever channel in to whatever channel out. This is the key feature missing from many cheaper processors.

the setup flexibility is just unreal and provides real solutions to common problems.

the Room correction is also very unique. I recently read the manual and then received a full training on it. I talked with the engineers a bit about how it worked. The flexibility far exceeds that of any other room correction I have ever used. It’s highly adjustable. Enough so to really get you in trouble. You can change how it equalizes the direct sound, early reflections, and late reflections separately. You can adjust the octave smoothing applied to the late reflection Eq. You can even change the window length. This is great for addressing different types of rooms with different degrees of treatment.

the ability to change the perceived elevation of the channels is also surprisingly good. Part of me hates the idea of utilizing a $17k processor on an Inceiling surround system. But it makes it a lot better.

finally, I can set them up from anywhere in the world. I can log into the device and manage it from anywhere. Even my phone. When it comes to customer service on custom installs, this is a big deal. Some others have this ability too, but not the cheaper ones. I am working with an installer in Israel and we have a client with a Trinnov processor. I am currently redoing the setup to incorporate a more complex bass management arrangement. I can do it from here in Florida. No problem. Minimal work on the part of the client. The most he has to do is move a mic around for me.
So does this mean I could use this to biamp 5 of my channels, and then still do 5 heights, and 1 sub?

apgood

So does this mean I could use this to biamp 5 of my channels, and then still do 5 heights, and 1 sub?
You can do that with both the Trinnov & StormAudio. Not sure about Theta & Datasat but likely.
The JBL SPD-55 less likely since its based on the Arcam. The JBL SPD-75 yes because it's a Trinnov with some minor differences for JBL.

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer
You can do that with both the Trinnov & StormAudio. Not sure about Theta & Datasat but likely.
The JBL SPD-55 less likely since its based on the Arcam. The JBL SPD-75 yes because it's a Trinnov with some minor differences for JBL.
While that’s true the Trinnov is night and day more advanced in its ability to setup multi-way active speakers. Given the similar prices I am hopeful Storm steps up their game.

the Trinnov has an automatic setup feature that measures and automatically sets up the crossovers in a multi-way system. It makes setup pretty simple if you don’t know what your doing or where to start.

it also offers more options and flexibility like more slopes and crossover types.

the Storm is still an immensely powerful and capable processor and well worth its price. The Trinnov is simply that much more. I find it really too bad that more companies don’t follow suit with these features.

apgood

While that’s true the Trinnov is night and day more advanced in its ability to setup multi-way active speakers. Given the similar prices I am hopeful Storm steps up their game.

the Trinnov has an automatic setup feature that measures and automatically sets up the crossovers in a multi-way system. It makes setup pretty simple if you don’t know what your doing or where to start.

it also offers more options and flexibility like more slopes and crossover types.

the Storm is still an immensely powerful and capable processor and well worth its price. The Trinnov is simply that much more. I find it really too bad that more companies don’t follow suit with these features.

You might not be up with the latest functionality in StormAudio related to setup of active crossovers. You are correct it doesn't have an automated what to do it, but then I would not be relying on automated configuration of active crossover, especially if the person doesn't know what they are doing, as that is a very good way to blow drivers (in particular tweeters).

From a manual configuration StormAudio actually has more filter options, the ability to add multiply filter types and to modify Q (they call it a Bell Filter but is PEQ), as well as Delay.

Mind you both Vendors are constantly evolving their products and enhancing them, so in a few months things may change.

Personally I think it is very simplisic to say one is better than the other without assessing it in the context of specific use cases. I was actually first looking at Trinnov but then changes my choice to StormAudio. The deal I got on a 2nd hand Storm was one factor, but the other was for example it's ability to pass 32 AES Digital Output channels to my Q-Sys core for processing and things like active crossovers. I'd actually wanted to use AES67 output to save myself buying the AES input cards for my Q-sys core, but got sick of waiting for either vendor to deliver their AES67/Ravena/Dante solution.

Same principal applies when deciding between the Trinnov and the JBL SDP-75. If you have JBL speakers then you would go for the JBL to take advantage of their speaker equalisation curves, but if you have other speaker types not in their database then you'd be better of with the Trinnov.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
When you test the Room Optimiser, please make sure to also try proper sloped target curve with a moderate bass boost. I and other Trinnov users find the default curves ,that are flat as a ruler , a poor choice. I really do not understand why Trinnov do not have a preset curve more like Dirac/Harman . With my old ears and speakers I skip often correction above 1kHz or just a very slight target slope above 2khz- too much slope above 2k becomes too dull , ruler flat in room is too bright, too much bass lift =muddy
Multipoint calibration vs single point can make a big difference.
Testing the Optimiser to find the optimum is not done in one evening, weekend or even a week. Easy to try but Endless possibilities in settings does take a long time to master

Last edited:
Top Bottom