• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

Madhuski

Hey Chris! Long time no see. I’m not as active on AVS these days; tend to lurk more. My frequent swapping days are cooling off; I landed on Alcons for my speakers, and ended with the Trinnov as the processor. Just maybe thinking about some changes at the periphery; trying to decide if i want to re-enter Kaleidescape and wether to find a less imposing sub than the DSS 24

I ended up with the trinnov because
a) I didn’t want to deal with the “what if” that i’m very prone too,
b) of all the pre-pro’s i tried oflate, it gave the most reliable family friendly experience with my RTI setup
c) I had enough industry professionals commend the trinnov (Russ Berger in particular went out of his way to praise the trinnov when we were talking about Alcons).
d) the modularity of it gives you the ability to keep it up to date with trinnov and not have to bug a whole new box in the future.

I just had Adam Pelz calibrate it, and I’m more than satisfied with the experience.

My general take is comparing the trinnov to a dirac machine, you’re not going to hear a night and day difference with both calibrated by someone who knows what their doing. Perhaps the trinnov might give a better results, but you’re definitely in the area of diminishing returns.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Denon's Audyssey probably had Dynamic EQ enabled i.e. loudness. How do you adjust Trinnov to compensate that? Multiple presets won't do it.

(btw. Monoprice HTP-1 has Dirac (and DLBC ) with 6 presets, loudness with two curves and level calibration, bass/treble with corner frequency adjustments and 16ch PEQ for each output. But it's currently unobtainium...)
That I don't know. Despite having it for a couple of years or more, I'm still pretty much a novice for much of it, just not enough time to listen and tweak (eventually be able to retire and have time for fun stuff).

My Emotiva XMC-1 had Dirac Live but not DLBC (and the newer processors still don't have DLBC after some 3+ years...) Back then the HTP-1 was new and having some issues and I did not want to deal with that again. My XMC-1 worked OK after a bug fix the month after I got it, but a year or two later the HDMI board upgrade was a nightmare. I had to do a lot of tweaking with DL to get everything aligned (mainly the subs) but it sounded OK after that. The SDP-75 (Trinnov Altitude 32, JBL Synthesis version) sounded better out of the box. I am not sure I still have all the comparison measurements; unfortunately when I set it up my REW setup was down and I only recently got it working again (Windows upgrade took out the ASIO drivers).

I took a few measurements using analog inputs to compare the XMC-1/Dirac Live and SDP-75 (plus had old measurements of my Pioneer SC-27, but only using older SW and not REW for the Pio), and my memory of those is the basis for my comments, but at this point it would be opinion since I don't have the data handy. The interesting/strange part is that the center was better integrated with the L/R speakers and a bit more "forward" (probably just louder, but frequency response was smoother than using Dirac Live). The upper end was a little smoother, probably because I ignored/was unaware of the advice to limit filter resolution and cranked them up, and the impulse response was better, mainly less "ringing" after the impulse. I think bass was actually pretty comparable, but that was running the Trinnov Optimizer out of the box compared to hours of tweaking Dirac Live (and the controls on my subs) to get a somewhat similar result. It is possible I could have tweaked the center and L/R speakers more but (a) I spent way too much time getting the subs integrated, (b) I did not realize they were lacking (compared to the SDP-75), and (c) was tired of spending my precious free time trying to get things to sound good.

The Trinnov is wicked expensive and I would not claim night and day difference over my previous AVR/AVP units. I think it sounds beter, and my measurements showed some improvement, but I am as subject to bias as the next guy. At the time I was thoroughly fed up with Emotiva, had gone through three high-end receivers in about five years, was offered a great deal on an SDP-75 (which included EQ curves for my Revel speakers but does not include the PEQ, alas, though they have discussed bringing it back), and bought into the SW upgradability of the Trinnov to get off the treadmill. Not a panacea, as some things still require HW upgrades, but for roughly half the price of a current top-end processor I could upgrade the HW (not planning right now). There have been several SW updates that added more (and more advanced) codecs plus some other features, something I am not sure other manufacturers do (at least not for long; one guy has a 10-yo Trinnov that is fully updated to the latest SW).

I have no experience with the HTP-1, Storm Audio, Lyngdorf, etc. processors that all seem contenders. Nor the latest Audyssey, Anthem, etc. systems. I recently purchased a Yamaha AVR for my son and new bride (wedding presents) and was pleasantly surprised how much better YPAO worked than on my ancient model (sounded OK with a brief listen, but does not compare to Dirac Live for flexibility). I briefly considered Dataset but at the time it was somewhat a mess and would have cost me significantly more than the SDP-75. I am not sure what I would do today if I had to do it all again given the price difference (assuming I could not get such a great deal on the SDP-75), but am quite happy with the SDP-75/Trinnov.

Sorry for the length, back to work - Don

Edit: It has Dolby's DRC but a quick skim of the manual does not show a generic loudness setting. IIRC, when I asked, Adam or Curt one suggested using a different preset for low-level listening to provide loudness compensation when desired. I have not gotten around to that.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
You have never come across that way Don with your Trinnov or Salon2's. That is why I said most Trinnov owners. I have friends with Trinnovs that are down to Earth, but the Trinnov thread on AVS is full of the eltiist snobbery. I actaully bought a Trinnov 16 but canceled the order because I felt guilty spending that much on an AVP when I had other hobbies demanding higher priority funding. Sounds like we could hang out. I am jeans, boots, ball cap, and diesel truck guy. Being in Texas, country music is a given. I do own a highly modified vette but its more of a drag car than a road track setup.
Thanks! I rarely hang out on AVS anymore for a variety of reasons. We may get a diesel and a camping trailer when (if) I retire, but otherwise my last diesel driving experience was back when I had my CDL and helped friends with rigs do a few cross-KS runs (never did it full-time or even close).

I sort of fell into some great deals with the SDP-75 and Salon2's, so with a couple of really good bonus years after putting the kids through college and a very understanding wife who said it was my turn after she got a couple of family trips to Germany and Alaska, I ended up with a system well above anything I ever imagined.

I had planned to upgrade my XMC-1 to an XMC-2 or RMC-1 but the trade-up offer expired before they got DLBC working (the main thing I wanted to try). Dirac Live on the XMC-1 is custom to Emotiva, and will not run on Windows 11, so it is an expensive paperweight (I was going to pass it down to my younger son, but he recently built a new PC running Win11). One more star for the SDP-75; they keep upgrading all the way back to the earliest units. I wish I had more measurements comparing them, but only took a few to see why the SDP-75 sounded so different compared to the XMC-1, and am not sure I still have all of those (my backup saga is long and heart-breaking). Subs and center integration were the main differences I recall.

I have friends in TX, maybe swing down some year.

Molon_Labe

@Madhuski @DonH56 - I am also fed up with AVS. I tire of reading all the blatant misinformation being spread by the new "crew". Most of them are just post harlots who just regurgitate the same nonsense. Its a race to the bottom over there and it is definitely not the forum it was a decade ago - sadly. I made a lot of friends and learned a ton from guys there. I have been lurking here for a few years but decided to finally join. It reminds me of the old AVS where I can learn something new vs reading thread after thread on mix-matched front soundstage, measurements are a conspiracy theory, et all.

Back to the AVP, I am in the market for an upgrade right now. I am currently using a Lexicon MC10 w/ MiniDSP, but I still for the life of me cannot get the suck out at crossover with the subs and the M2s. I have four subs and have pushed them all over the room, played with phase and distance in the MiniDSP, and ran more Dirac calibrations and REW sweeps than I can count. It may just be the room because its a bonus room over a three-car garage but it has the kick walls with angled ceiling. Definitely a challenging room but it is what it is. It could also be I am still doing something wrong, but there is no one local to me to take a stab at it. Long story short, my last hope is Dirac Bass Management. I am leaning toward the SDP-58 since most of the bugs on the SDP-55 have been sorted.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@Madhuski @DonH56 - I am also fed up with AVS. I tire of reading all the blatent misinformation being spread by the new "crew". Most of them are just post harlots who just reguirgitate the same nonsense. Its a race to the bottom over there and it is definitely not the forum it was a decade ago - sadly. I made a lot of friends and learned a ton from guys there. I have been lurking here for a few years but decided to finally join. It reminds me of the old AVS where I can learn something new vs reading thread after thread on mix-matched front soundstage, measurements are a conspiracy theory, et all.
Back to the AVP, I am in the market for an upgrade right now. I am currently using a Lexicon MC10 w/ MiniDSP, but I still for the life of me cannot get the suck out at crossover with the subs and the M2s. I have four subs and have pushed them all over the room, played with phase and distance in REW, and ran more Dirac calibrations than I can remember. It may just be the room because its a bonus room over a three car garage but it has the kick walls with angled ceiling. Definately a challenging room but it is what it is. It could also be I am still doing something wrong, but there is no one local to me to take a stab at it. Long story short, my last hope is Dirac Bass Managment. I am leaing toward the SDP-58 since most of the bugs on the SDP-55 have been sorted.
My dealer had a Lexicon MC10 and I looked very closely at that as a solution, forgot about that one. Ultimately I decided to take the plunge to the SDP-75 (as did he; we bought ours together, and laugh that we both had them for many months before setting them up, he about a month before I did -- it was much easier than we thought it would be, after dealing with the rewiring mess).

What I had to do to integrate my subs was a combination of adjusting the Dirac Live target curve for the subs to emulate a second-order response, and tweak the crossover and phase settings on my (Rythmik) subs while taking endless measurements. It was successful but took many hours over several weeks of elapsed time to dial it in.

Since you have a miniDSP, have you tried MSO?

Fidji

The converse could be said about the Trinnov - more so because high-cost items and elitism are often synonymous. Reading this thread made me chuckle. It never fails in every Trinnov discussion that a Trinnov owner will play the poor man card i..e the only people knocking the Trinnov are those that can't afford it. Trinnov is a status symbol like a Porsche 911 or Ferrari. When a modified miata or corvette spanks their arse on a road course the pompous, elitist comments soon follow that a miata will always be a miata and the corvette is the redneck wannabe. Most of the Trinnov crowd reminds me of the preps in the 80s with their Lacoste polo shirts, cardigan sweaters, and Members Only jackets. This was not directed at you Madhuski. I have always enjoyed our PMs on AVS and I am not even sure what AVP you own now. I know you change your system up all the time.

There is a different kind of elitism, actually quite prominent on some sites, including ASR. "look at me how smart I am, my 2500dB SINAD 3USD DAC and this small 49USD monitor speaker, recommended by Amir and everybody buying something more expensive, with 1dB SINAD less is complete idiot and audiophool"

You can see, that most comments are under reviews where some expensive product fails the measurements, also if you scan this thread, half of the posts refer to TRINNOV as expensive junk, mostly from the people that have never had a chance to hear any proper home theatre installation.

WHich does not contradict your statement, that some see TRINNOV as a status thing, which is really immature. Same like any other material thing for that matter.

But sometimes it is seen as a "status" only for those looking from outside. I am driving "biggest german cars" for last 15 years and I never looked at them as a status symbol. Just as very comfortable, safe, and quick machine for AUtobahn and most pleasant place to be in the slow moving traffic with Burmester audio inside. Is it 10x better in any parameter than VW or Ford, nope it is not. Is it worth every euro I paid for it, hell yeah.

Molon_Labe

There is a different kind of elitism, actually quite prominent on some sites, including ASR. "look at me how smart I am, my 2500dB SINAD 3USD DAC and this small 49USD monitor speaker, recommended by Amir and everybody buying something more expensive, with 1dB SINAD less is complete idiot and audiophool"

You can see, that most comments are under reviews where some expensive product fails the measurements, also if you scan this thread, half of the posts refer to TRINNOV as expensive junk, mostly from the people that have never had a chance to hear any proper home theatre installation.

WHich does not contradict your statement, that some see TRINNOV as a status thing, which is really immature. Same like any other material thing for that matter.

But sometimes it is seen as a "status" only for those looking from outside. I am driving "biggest german cars" for last 15 years and I never looked at them as a status symbol. Just as very comfortable, safe, and quick machine for AUtobahn and most pleasant place to be in the slow moving traffic with Burmester audio inside. Is it 10x better in any parameter than VW or Ford, nope it is not. Is it worth every euro I paid for it, hell yeah.
Good points. Maybe my blanket statement was probably unfair because it was based on a handful of members on AVS which has been my primary interaction with the Trinnov crowd. Don't get me wrong, I understand quality costs money and R&D is expensive. I have significant money invested in my systems and realize there is a cost/value proposition that ramps up significantly for those last bits of performance. I got soured with the comment about half-way through the thread about people dogging the Trinnov are only those who can’t afford it.

Last edited:

Madhuski

@Madhuski @DonH56 - I am also fed up with AVS. I tire of reading all the blatant misinformation being spread by the new "crew". Most of them are just post harlots who just regurgitate the same nonsense. Its a race to the bottom over there and it is definitely not the forum it was a decade ago - sadly. I made a lot of friends and learned a ton from guys there. I have been lurking here for a few years but decided to finally join. It reminds me of the old AVS where I can learn something new vs reading thread after thread on mix-matched front soundstage, measurements are a conspiracy theory, et all.

Back to the AVP, I am in the market for an upgrade right now. I am currently using a Lexicon MC10 w/ MiniDSP, but I still for the life of me cannot get the suck out at crossover with the subs and the M2s. I have four subs and have pushed them all over the room, played with phase and distance in the MiniDSP, and ran more Dirac calibrations and REW sweeps than I can count. It may just be the room because its a bonus room over a three-car garage but it has the kick walls with angled ceiling. Definitely a challenging room but it is what it is. It could also be I am still doing something wrong, but there is no one local to me to take a stab at it. Long story short, my last hope is Dirac Bass Management. I am leaning toward the SDP-58 since most of the bugs on the SDP-55 have been sorted.

I had the SDP-55 in the earlier stages; my main gripe with it is it would do odd things: for example, for no reason I could figure out, every now and then when using the remote to change the volume, it would hit a floor at -35. I'd have to get up and turn the knob to go under -35, then the remote would work properly again. Another minor issue was maybe every few weeks, it would stop responding to my RTI remotes power commands, and I'd had to power cycle it. There were a few more things like that that jsut made it a little annoying to use. Now again, this was maybe 9-12 months after its initial release - it seems like things are much more smoothed out now

But tt was quality of life things like this and more importantly that "what if" that led me back to Trinnov

Molon_Labe

I had the SDP-55 in the earlier stages; my main gripe with it is it would do odd things: for example, for no reason I could figure out, every now and then when using the remote to change the volume, it would hit a floor at -35. I'd have to get up and turn the knob to go under -35, then the remote would work properly again. Another minor issue was maybe every few weeks, it would stop responding to my RTI remotes power commands, and I'd had to power cycle it. There were a few more things like that that jsut made it a little annoying to use. Now again, this was maybe 9-12 months after its initial release - it seems like things are much more smoothed out now

But tt was quality of life things like this and more importantly that "what if" that led me back to Trinnov
Yeah, it seems the last generation of processers really took a nose dive on build quality, engineering, software dev, etc. I don't remember reading about software and hardware problems 5 years ago. I supose it could be all the new codecs and getting those parts and pieces playing nicely with each other takes a lot of time and resources. What I find upsetting is that to compensate for that it has become acceptable to ship knowingly broken products to consumers aka the SDP-55 which has gone through an entire lifecycle i.e. SDP-58 with Logic16 never working. Its not just HARMAN either. I guess if you want all the bells and whisltes that work as advertised you have to step up to Storm and Trinov prices. Its just sad becuase HARMAN within the pro/synthesis lines was always known for solid reliable products. Maybe I will end up like you and pay the entry fee for consistant reliability.

Bulldogger

Would you mind send Krells to Amir? SINAD around 80? I think you can get MUCH better SINAD for the fraction of the fraction of the price. - e.g. something based on Hypex NC2K or 1200.

I had them at home for couple of days, but actually after 15 minutes I knew there were 3 levels inferior to my Ayre V-XR, not even comparing them to Purifi amps that I use for surround.. You should go and buy yourself some proper amp with proper SINAD, and not get fooled by all this Krell hype. Krell was acceptable choice in the times, when there was no better alternative, but this was like 30 years ago. I am surprised, that somebody so focused on 3dB SINAD difference on AV preamp is able to accept so technically mediocre and overpriced piece of gear.

I think this EMOTIVA would be just about fitting to your Krells - SINAD 84.

Don't get too excited. I change amps. Not sure where I will land. The context of me posting that was that it was mentioned that many cannot afford Trinnov. That is not the case. I find in discussions like this, other discussions are started to move the discussion away from the product if a valid argument cannot be made.

Bulldogger

Yes:

Parametric equaliser filter quantity.
Active crossover matrix size.
Sampling capacity of the acoustic environment.
Number of different saved setups
HDMI data transfer rate (HDMI version).

All above are measured in tests.
That is good and the result of it being a PC. I use an HTPC for room correction. Dirac is easy and I like the phase correction which I believe Trinnov does not have? Are they adding it, phase correction? Audiolense has my attention, and I may continue to investigate it. It seems to offer the highest technical performance.
What is your gripe with Trinnov. Why don’t you come clean?
The price and technical performance. I actually think it would/will be a great product if they do some better engineering. I don't have a gripe with Trinnov. To be honest, I find it amusing when guys take it personal if you make a valid technical argument about a product. Make one about something I own, and I'll agree with YOU! I am not wed to any of this stuff and will disparage any of it.

Personally, I have never used a prepro for music, I think they are all junk. I do have an issue that Trinnov saying that improved dac performance will not be audible while at the same time touting 24/192 sampling. If Trinnov is going to use "science" why don't' they do room correction at 24/48? The room correction would have more taps?
@DonH56 Thank you but what I asked is below. I numbered the reasons you listed so that we can communicate better.

I was trying to understand how those three issues you listed can be reasons to choose Denon. I can’t see an answer in your response.
Seriously if you heard what I heard, there is no way based upon those demonstrations you would buy Trinnov. Sure, it's single data point and you need more.
Uh, "design of experiments" is the subject of many books, and I'd probably need at least an hour and a whiteboard. :) Did you have something specific in mind?

Off-topic w.r.t. Trinnov, comparisons have always been very difficult to achieve, and seemingly harder (for me anyway) recently since so much buying is done online, so few local stores carry what I want to compare, it is difficult to impossible to bring things home to compare (I suppose the Internet exchange route is possible but still a hassle and potentially pricey given shipping costs), and (in at least one case of a major dealer) even getting the salesman to move speakers (let alone other gear) onto the same room for a more credible comparison is "too much work unless you are going to buy today". I dislike high-pressure sales tactics.

Some examples that may or not be relevant:
  1. If the speakers are different in the two rooms, the sound is different;
  2. If the listener prefers a particular response, like boosted bass or boosted (or rolled-off) highs, not only the speaker but the room's treatment, speaker placement, and so forth can affect the bass (maybe the lone sub was in a corner and provided more bass, whereas two subs provided a flatter response?);
  3. The target curve between (among) processors may differ, increasing or decreasing the level of certain frequencies, again playing into (or not) the listener's preference;
  4. The decoding could be different, e.g. one could be set to "direct" or "stereo" whilst another used a derived response like Atmos, Neo, etc.;
  5. The volume could have been different, louder in one room than the other, affecting the perceived bass and treble response;
  6. Source material could have been different;
  7. Other component differences could be in evidence (once a salesman had a friend comparing two pairs of high-end B&W speakers, one driven by a tube amp, the other by SS, a flaw I was able to get them to correct);
  8. Room size, treatment, and what is in the room all affect the sound at the listening position; an example from ages ago is when a room had a coffee table in front of the listening chair and the sound changed when it was removed;
  9. Sometimes things about the room somewhat unrelated to the sound do matter, like a brighter vs. darker room, bigger vs. smaller, and so forth that can alter the listener's "feelings" or connection to the sound (some like a dark room, some bright, some prefer a smaller, more intimate room and others like it bigger, etc.);
  10. Subtle (or not so subtle) cues from the salesperson can influence the decision, such as "this sounds almost as good for 1/10th the price", or "I really like this system and it's on sale", "the Trinnov is very powerful but harder to use"...
Etc.

To me, if the customer said "I prefer the Denon", then the obvious follow-up would be to ask what sounded better to identify why the difference, and work with the customer's preferences to show how the Trinnov could equal or better the Denon's performance. The Trinnov is pricey and somewhat complicated, so it's possible the salesman didn't feel it was worth the effort if the sale was not immediate, or perhaps he did not know how to adjust the Trinnov. I have also numerous times found the preferred sound was not always the most accurate (apologies to Dr. Toole), though in the long run most folk I know ultimately preferred a more neutral system (and some did not -- plenty of room for preference). In the short run, figuring out what the customer liked to hear, and adjusting the components to suit that preference, would seem to be the obvious albeit more time-consuming approach to sales.

FWIWFM - Don
What you say is valid. I published my first article in the "Journal of Experimental Psychology," as an undergrad. I wouldn't need a book and have lectured on the subject of experimentation, not a lot but I have. Supposedly I had a promising future, but I didn't like the salary that one got for literally shocking rats in a maze. The reason I gave the location of my demo was that I feel that most people would agree with my assessment. I did not think anyone would challenge my assessment. Source material was the exact same time of a movie on a server. A veteran of many demonstrations, I had control of the volume in both rooms. Sales guy queued up the same clip.

But hey picking apart a subjective assessment is a waste of time. Let's compare the objective performance of these products. I am on this forum for that.

Bulldogger

You seem to have taken on as a mission in life to convince the world that Trinnov is not worth considering. You have made your arguments, reasonable and valid for the most part, perhaps it is time to move on?
Just stick to an objective discussion and move away from the personal attacks. I try to stay strictly with discussing the technical aspects of the processor. Anyone is free to buy what they wish.

Fidji

Don't get too excited. I change amps. Not sure where I will land. The context of me posting that was that it was mentioned that many cannot afford Trinnov. That is not the case. I find in discussions like this, other discussions are started to move the discussion away from the product if a valid argument cannot be made.
Hey, good to have you back. I was starting to be worried about you - almost 2 weeks and no post about TRINNOV, glad that you are OK.

I do agree that argument about affordability makes no sense and should not be used. On the other hand, system with TRINNOV + SOTA amplification [Hypex/Purifi] will have better combined performance than Denon 8500+amplification with mediocre objective performance [e.g. Krell] and the cost will be the same. This is what is really paradoxical about you - you seem to care more about performance of the product that you do not intend to own, than about pathetic objective performance of the product you do own.

This really takes away a lot of your credibility, as you are positioning yourself as somebody concerned about "objective performance". Of course, you could support your position by pointing to/performing double blinded testing of audibility of difference between 100dB and 103dB SINAD.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Hey, good to have you back. I was starting to be worried about you - almost 2 weeks and no post about TRINNOV, glad that you are OK.

I do agree that argument about affordability makes no sense and should not be used. On the other hand, system with TRINNOV + SOTA amplification [Hypex/Purifi] will have better combined performance than Denon 8500+amplification with mediocre objective performance [e.g. Krell] and the cost will be the same. This is what is really paradoxical about you - you seem to care more about performance of the product that you do not intend to own, than about pathetic objective performance of the product you do own.

This really takes away a lot of your credibility, as you are positioning yourself as somebody concerned about "objective performance". Of course, you could support your position by pointing to/performing double blinded testing of audibility of difference between 100dB and 103dB SINAD.
At 56, I don't post a much as I did twenty years ago. Don't be worried about that. If you think I am afraid of a battle, you had better use Google ;). Has it been two weeks? Gawd, prepros are pretty much all junk so you'll forgive me if I don't follow the threads. Further, I was the younger audiophile in circle of guys at least 20 years older than myself. Almost, all are dead. I don't think one of those guys was ever content with their audio systems. This has given me perspective. I've found other hobbies and renewed participation in old ones, learning a new kung fu style.

You are correct about the technical performance of the Krell amps. But Krell is not touting that their products are high resolution 24/192 electronics either. I have had about four different brands here in the last two years. It's likely I will sell them and try something else. But what? The amps before the Krell's were Mcintosh, ATI Signature, Bryston, and Parasound Halo. I really had to try some class A or supposedly class A amps at home. There is a lot to like about the sound but some limitations as well. My speakers are large with many drivers, and nothing has been able to make the play so dynamically! What amps are you using? What do you suggest? I still don't care for Class D. I've tried to like them. What speakers are you using? I may switch there as well.

Ok, let's dig in. Most of this discussion is subjective. The claims about the superior sound quality of Trinnov are subjective. The claims of those who have tried other processers and preferred the Trinnov are subjective. Can you please point me to some the blind studies that have done analysis of room correction systems? If we are going to pretend that this is "science," throw out anything that hasn't been replicated. Help me out here. Are there controlled studies on subjective preference done on "upmixers?" Replicated? Trinnov owners make a lot of claims here. Are any of the claims of the superiority of the Trinnov processor been analyzed in a controlled environment. If so, have those studies been replicated?

Let's discuss the measurements done on this website. I don't think they Amir's measurements are intended to be a source of subjective comparisons. You seem to be arguing that they aren't relevant because there is no subjective difference? It is not in the context of a subjective assessment that I am interested. I don't have to be able to offer a subjective reason or correlation of sound quality for the measurements to have value. All of the measurement, and reviews have value to me. Subjective correlation is not much of a consideration.

So why do I value and reference these measurements? Because personally, I don't think any current electronics are capable of replicating natural sounds in such a way, that they are indistinguishable from those sounds. Science has to advance. Measurements help it to advance. When I see newer more expensive processors regressing in measurement, it bothers me.

You can't assess my credibility without context. I suppose that a personal attack was in order and the suggestion that I could not afford Trinnov was an attempt discredit me. It was then that I listed some of the items I owned. You then attacked there. It's all that can be done because the specs of the Trinnov cannot be defended on an objective basis in the context of the other measurements here if cost is a consideration. I don't know how that cannot be a consideration? If I were defending Krell, then you could use that. I'm not. The specs suck. Some of the distortion is as high as giraffe nuts, just like the jitter on Trinnov's HDMI.

hmt

Trinnov does correct phase issues. It is well documented by them. When doing criticism you have to do your homework.

Bulldogger

Trinnov does correct phase issues. It is well documented by them. When doing criticism you have to do your homework.
A sentence punctuated with a question mark means the writer is asking a question.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is good and the result of it being a PC. I use an HTPC for room correction. Dirac is easy and I like the phase correction which I believe Trinnov does not have? Are they adding it, phase correction? Audiolense has my attention, and I may continue to investigate it. It seems to offer the highest technical performance.
Trinnov does do phase correction. Taken from https://www.trinnov.com/en/blog/pos...-remove-a-loudspeakers-sound-characteristics/.
BC8CB54C-5F9F-4C44-87D5-3E3D158AE855.jpeg

Fidji

I finally pulled the trigger on an Altitude 16. It already arrived but I did not find the time to install it.

Go to high end webinars- time well spent. Removes some awe people usually have.

MinMan

4.2.16 software version for the Altitude 16.

Do the relocate features and pull down menus so one must re-learn how to operate the processor periodically:facepalm:?

Top Bottom