• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It wasn’t a knock on our host.

Is that your stance, that the room I see the measurements done in is better than an anechoic chamber?

You’re kidding right?

Here’s what I think, if some of the reflection points were treated it would make room correction a whole lot easier.

Most recording studios that I see now, modern ones have a treated room. Yes there’s a lot of DSP going on, but they do some treatments also.

I’m sorry but comparing those measurements to one’s done in a anechoic chamber was enough for me, I’ve had enough lol please stop quoting me, because now this is getting knee deep.
Before making a scene, which you may regret, maybe you need to learn about the Klippel near field measurement system.

D

Deleted member 43441

Before making a scene, which you may regret, maybe you need to learn about the Klippel near field measurement system.

Without making a scene, I’ll concede that the machine measures well.

But I’m talking about playing in our room that well, and in my opinion relying totally on room correction is a mistake. Please allow me to have my opinion, thank you.

My original statement stands… For $17,000 this should be better. I would like to own it, but I would never pay that kind of money for it. I heard the same thing about datasat 10 years ago, how it was so much better than every pre-pro out there. Although the newish Datasat had some shining moments this is what our host had to say about it, and he’s talking about the whole AV industry in general.

“This Datasat LS10 review shows what we have known for a while: that the AV industry walked away from great technical performance long time ago. What we have here is what we get in mass market AVRs. Going so much higher in price gets you XLR output, more channels perhaps and more professional looking product”

Umm it’s $12,500!

I’m holding out for when I can get this exact same performance or better for 5k-7K, and I’m predicting that it’s going to happen in the next two years.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 43441

I would like to make one last point, and a scenario.

I know this is out there, but imagine if you will…

Imagine the AV industry putting a bunch of R&D and implementation of that R&D downstream in our processors, instead of correcting what comes out the other side.

I think I have the answer as to why they don’t do it, because it’s too expensive, and they can keep pulling their room correction pistol out. Because they’re so far ahead in DSP that they don’t have to, and they keep us happy with software updates, or do they because I was happy before the update… kind of. But they can get by making a bunch of mediocre measuring machines because they think they can correct it coming out the other side.

Now here’s where it gets crazy, and bear with me please.

Imagine this scenario… Imagine that they transformed the AVR and the AVP starting down stream and followed through to the end. Imagine an industry where they actually cared about measurements, instead of correcting mediocracy. When our host said that the AV industry abandoned us along time ago I believe this is what he’s talking about. Why put a bunch of expensive parts into a machine when you don’t have to, because you can correct it anyway. Nobody will be any wiser, that is to ASR pulled out their AP analyzer. It’s a lot easier to download a bunch of software into a processor then it is to start over and build one that’s really worthy of our money. Before ASR started to do this, did you see anybody in the industry, any of the insiders, call the AV manufacturer’s out on this? I’ll wait…

Back to your regularly scheduled program in 3…2…1…

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to make one last point, and a scenario.

I know this is out there, but imagine if you will…

Imagine the AV industry putting a bunch of R&D and implementation of that R&D downstream in our processors, instead of correcting what comes out the other side.

I think I have the answer as to why they don’t do it, because it’s too expensive, and they can keep pulling their room correction pistol out. Because they’re so far ahead in DSP that they don’t have to, and they keep us happy with software updates, or do they because I was happy before the update… kind of. But they can get by making a bunch of mediocre measuring machines because they think they can correct it coming out the other side.

Now here’s where it gets crazy, and bear with me please.

Imagine this scenario… Imagine that they transformed the AVR and the AVP starting down stream and followed through to the end. Imagine an industry where they actually cared about measurements, instead of correcting mediocracy. When our host said that the AV industry abandoned us along time ago I believe this is what he’s talking about. Why put a bunch of expensive parts into a machine when you don’t have to, because you can correct it anyway. Nobody will be any wiser, that is to ASR pulled out their AP analyzer. It’s a lot easier to download a bunch of software into a processor then it is to start over and build one that’s really worthy of our money. Before ASR started to do this, did you see anybody in the industry, any of the insiders, call the AV manufacturer’s out on this? I’ll wait…

Back to your regularly scheduled program in 3…2…1…
What part of Trinnov 16 you found not being fit for the job?

D

Deleted member 43441

What part of Trinnov 16 you found not being fit for the job?

The part with the price tag on it.

Listen if somebody wants to pay 17k for $1500 worth of parts be my guest, but it won’t be me.

I’ll wait till they put $2500 worth of parts into it.

Seriously that’s what’s inside that box is $1500-$2000 worth of parts. You know it and so do I.

Do I sound angry? I’m not really, I’m just tired of getting the wool pulled over my eyes, and everybody keeping the fairytale going, make believing that this is the end game preamp when they can do way better.

Do you know when I’ll upgrade my machine? When the new one starts measuring like a $200 Schiit DAC.

Seriously I can’t say anymore, I’m talked out on the subject, I’m a little perplexed that everyone is willing to accept mediocracy and good software. We can end this if we want, and ASR may end it and wake everybody up for us. Take care I appreciated the discussion and no hard feelings at all towards anyone. I love the machine I just think they can do better.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Listen if somebody wants to pay 17k for $1500 worth of parts be my guest, but it won’t be me.

Seriously that’s what’s inside that box is $1500-$2000 worth of parts. You know it and so do I.

Do I sound angry? I’m not really, I’m just tired of getting the wool pulled over my eyes, and everybody keeping the fairytale going, make believing that this is the end game preamp when they can do way better.

Do you know when I’ll upgrade my machine? When it starts measuring like a $200 Schiit DAC.

Seriously I can’t say anymore, I’m talked out on the subject, I’m a little perplexed that everyone is willing to accept mediocracy and good software. We can end this if we want, and ASR may end it and wake everybody up for us. Take care I appreciated the discussion and no hard feelings at all towards anyone. I love the machine I just think they can do better.
I am sorry to disagree with you. Trinnov is proven to have the best specs among the AVRs on the market. The best is never cheap.

Nobody is pulling wool over your eyes. You read the tests and know the specs. If you can’t afford it I’m sorry. If you are not prepared to pay the price it’s your choice.

You keep using the word mediocrity but can’t explain what part of Trinnov is mediocre. It delivers the best specs. How can the best be called mediocre?

Can they deliver better, yes. But so far they are the best AVR and that’s a fact.

Can the Ferrari Maranello be faster, maybe, is it a mediocre super car, no.

bungle

I am sorry to disagree with you. Trinnov is proven to have the best specs among the AVRs on the market. The best is never cheap.
I went to one Genelec immersive demo one day. They had Trinnov Altitude. I knew the price of it already but I had never seen it live. Then they switched sources and it was just horrible. Flickering, things going black, taking time. Yes, it felt like a computer. For that price it needs to work flawlessly, I didn't get that impression that it was a smooth sail. Nothing against them, but I still feel I don't want "computer" in my living room if the experience is like that with that price tag. Yes, I know that everything is "computers" these days. It just amuses me that we have CPU power like never before, but things just work less great. Added latency, handshaking issues, DRM, ever changing specs and ports. Okay I end this small rant here. I have nothing against Trinnov, and it seems they are decent people there.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I went to one Genelec immersive demo one day. They had Trinnov Altitude. I knew the price of it already but I had never seen it live. Then they switched sources and it was just horrible. Flickering, things going black, taking time. Yes, it felt like a computer. For that price it needs to work flawlessly, I didn't get that impression that it was a smooth sail. Nothing against them, but I still feel I don't want "computer" in my living room if the experience is like that with that price tag. Yes, I know that everything is "computers" these days. It just amuses me that we have CPU power like never before, but things just work less great. Added latency, handshaking issues, DRM, ever changing specs and ports. Okay I end this small rant here. I have nothing against Trinnov, and it seems they are decent people there.
I have one and it switches as fast as the Denon AVR that it replaced. Maybe you have experienced an early model.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For $17,000 this should be better. I would like to own it, but I would never pay that kind of money for it.
I would, even if it had no DACs at all in the box, even if it was just digital outs- with the same processing capability.

laidick

Forum Donor
People are sometimes ignoring the effort and the cost of the software.

Trinnov core value is the fully customized OS with the best digital processing in the market.

We will never be able to price this area unless you are in the software team.

You can find the same hardware and assemble the same thing with better spec and measurement but not able to reproduce what Trinnov and the optimizer can do.

Also the customer service and support they are the best and no second in the world.

Golfx

Forum Donor

Do you know when I’ll upgrade my machine? When the new one starts measuring like a $200 Schiit DAC.

You seem to have an “anti confirmation” bias as opposed to us owners who have a confirmation bias. This is meant to be amusing.

D

Deleted member 43441

You seem to have an “anti confirmation” bias as opposed to us owners who have a confirmation bias. This is meant to be amusing.

Mr Golfx… how are ya hitting them? Almost golf season here in the Northeast, although I don’t golf anymore we are surrounded by some decent golf courses.

I don’t have any bias one way or the other, I just want my next preamp to be better than what they’re producing now. Mine is getting a little long in the tooth.

The good news is that there are a handful of companies I understand are going to up the ante soon. It appears ASR has woke the AV industry up, just like they did some of the DAC, and 2-channel world and that’s a good thing in my opinion. In this day and age there is no need for some of these mediocre specs. Now we need those DAC’s in our preamps, and even if we can’t hear it headroom is great… just ask a new corvette or Lambo owner. Yes another car analogy but it works… Have a great day.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 43441

which you wont quantify...

Are there any 16 or 32-ch DACs on the market?

Man you jumped all over that, you have to stop this being a fanboy thing… it don’t look good on you lol. Seriously chill out and let people have their own opinions.

You can bury your head in the sand all you want, but things are about to take a turn for the better in the AV world… stay tuned. Even if you don’t know about it yet, it’s taking place as we speak. Again chill out this is a good thing that’s going to happen, and a few years from now What they’ve been pulling over our eyes is hopefully going to become a thing of the past. They can do so much better and they are about to :) Enjoy your day.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We were the first in the UK to import Trinnov, they just had the one box back then, not the easiest company to deal with.
Keith

D

Deleted member 43441

We were the first in the UK to import Trinnov, they just had the one box back then, not the easiest company to deal with.
Keith

I don’t know much about them, I just know that they are expensive and I have not set themselves apart from anyone in my opinion. Datasat is another overhyped underwhelming and under performing company also in my opinion.

Let’s face the truth here… this is the science basedwebsite right? Objectivity is what counts on this website, and objectively these A/V companies are under performing, and so is this one. It may be surrounded by a few fanboys, but it’s still underwhelming and under performing. Your manufacturer, and from what I can see about your company, you wouldn’t let some of these machines go out your door because their specs are not much better than they were 15 years ago. yes they’ve got fancy marketing, and this one has a beautiful case, and it may have some really good room correction, but downstream it’s a full of a bunch of dated parts and DAC’s. My whole point in this long-winded, and never intended multi post conversation of mine is… They can do a whole lot better, and if this is an endgame for this company and they can’t do any better, then they need to get out of the way and let the ones that can up the ante. This machine measures no better than the less than $4000 Anthems, and from what I hear Anthem‘s room correction is pretty good in its own right.

If we settle they’re not going to produce, just like much of the other audio world, but if we stand our ground and demand better, and ASR keeps exposing them for what they’re doing to us… It will change, and it already has. Have you seen some of the specs in the last few years? Whoa we need an AVR/AVP that measures like that gentleman.

How many companies have come back to Amir, and worked with him? Follow the science.

D

Deleted member 43441

In all fairness, I understand that this company is one of the ones that are supposed up up the ante soon. This in my opinion can only be good for the entire A/V industry, and it’s long overdue. Anthem is also about to up the ante from what I understand, and I welcome to see what they come up with next.

This is no different than what Topping saw when they came into the DAC market. I can only imagine that they were licking their chops when they saw a bunch of underwhelming, under spec’d over priced, slick marketed, fancy box, blinking lights… for the most part outdated dinosaurs on the market. I invite them to come in and fix this can barely break 100 SINAD industry, and it’s not just that spec, it’s all of their underwhelming specs. Imagine what Topping could do… I bet they could make a dream machine for 5K.

D

Deleted member 43441

Since I blocked him, he won’t get this, can someone please tell him that I forgive him, and forgive me also if I offended him in anyway. Good day to all, I’m pretty much done with this thread.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@JohnV I've never owned a Trinnov and by the look of my life trajectory i will probably never get myself to buy one anyway. But for you to say that nothing about them sets them apart is incredibly.... just plain wrong.

I mean heck look at their microphone! I would love to experience a full fledged cinema with the Trinnov installed one day.

micro_detour_web.487x381.png

Top Bottom