• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

Bulldogger

Any improvement in SINAD over its current 100 will likely be swallowed by its ability for thorough and intricate room correction and clock matching up to 96khz on the Altitude 16 and 192Khz on the Altitude 32.
Clock matching for a single rate. It's using a single crystal oscillator so the clock is likely only matching multiples of a single rate like 48Khz, 96khz. Is it possible for a crystal to match multiple rates, say 44khz as well as 48khz? I don't think so. You'd need two. One for multiple of 44khz and one for multiples of 48khz?

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Clock matching for a single rate. It's using a single crystal oscillator so the clock is likely only matching multiples of a single rate like 48Khz, 96khz. Is it possible for a crystal to match multiple rates, say 44khz as well as 48khz? I don't think so. You'd need two. One for multiple of 44khz and one for multiples of 48khz?
Look up phase-locked loop, PLL. You can create most any frequency you like from a single reference frequency. Does not need to be a multiple.

Bulldogger

Look up phase-locked loop, PLL. You can create most any frequency you like from a single reference frequency. Does not need to be a multiple.
But the reference is 48Khz right? So if you start with a reference for a clock signal that isn't a multiple of the frequency, it is possible for you to get an even integer with a single reference frequency derived from a crystal that is an even multiple? Don't you just get an approximation? I'm not questioning whether you can generate a clock.

What is HDMI doing? Don't the derive the clock for everything from the video clock, the wrong frequency for audio?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
But the reference is 48Khz right? So if you start with a reference for a clock signal that isn't a multiple of the frequency, it is possible for you to get an even integer with a single reference frequency derived from a crystal that is an even multiple? Don't you just get an approximation? I'm not questioning whether you can generate a clock.

What is HDMI doing? Don't the derive the clock for everything from the video clock, the wrong frequency for audio?
What reference? Most systems use a clock much, much higher than 48 kHz and divide it down. The multiples (divisors) do not have to be integer, so with the right choice you can achieve "anything you want". Some components may have two clocks and switch between them; I do not know if any modern devices do that or not. I would expect many components to extract the clock from the data stream so it is locked to the data no matter the system clock rate.

The audio in HDMI is 48 kS/s IIRC but I do not remember the stream rate.

Not sure what any of this has to do with Trinnov specifically...

Last edited:

Bulldogger

What reference? Most systems use a clock much, much higher than 48 kHz and divide it down. The multiples (divisors) do not have to be integer, so with the right choice you can achieve "anything you want". Some components may have two clocks and switch between them; I do not know if any modern devices do that or not. I would expect many components to extract the clock from the data stream so it is locked to the data no matter the system clock rate.

The audio in HDMI is 48 kS/s IIRC but I do not remember the stream rate.

Not sure what any of this has to do with Trinnov specifically...
HDMI has a clock related jitter problem. Most modern devices use newer clock types, at least the ones I want. The jitter on most of these prepros, including Trinnov is as high as giraffe nu.., er I mean testicles. I am wondering if Trinnov and the rest of them, would do better with a more modern clock type.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
HDMI has a clock related jitter problem. Most modern devices use newer clock types, at least the ones I want. The jitter on most of these prepros, including Trinnov is as high as giraffe nu.., er I mean testicles. I am wondering if Trinnov and the rest of them, would do better with a more modern clock type.
Why do you care the HDMI output quality? Where do you use its audio?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use various devices with HDMI, like Firestick and Roku. Why does that matter?
Maybe I wasn't clear. You said the HDMI output of Trinnov has jitter. I copied your post below.
HDMI has a clock related jitter problem. [...] The jitter on most of these prepros, including Trinnov is as high as giraffe nu.., er I mean testicles. I am wondering if Trinnov and the rest of them, would do better with a more modern clock type.
A Trinnov is an audio processor with analogue outputs. What reason do you have for using its HDMI output for audio?

Bulldogger

Maybe I wasn't clear. You said the HDMI output of Trinnov has jitter. I copied your post below.

A Trinnov is an audio processor with analogue outputs. What reason do you have for using its HDMI output for audio?
No I didn't say that. I said HDMI has a clock related jitter problem and only used that as a reference. I thought most of the prepros stripped audio from the HDMI outputs? Not sure why you would think I would mean that? Does Trinnov output audio over HDMI?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No I didn't say that. I said HDMI has a clock related jitter problem and only used that as a reference. I thought most of the prepros stripped audio from the HDMI outputs? Not sure why you would think I would mean that? Does Trinnov output audio over HDMI?
Trinnov like every AV unit has a HDMI switcher. It has two HDMI outputs and both outputs have audio enabled.

Maybe I was confused among your words that included testicles?

However, I still can’t understand why you gave an AV processor as a reference. As I said earlier, the audio of their HDMI output is not something anyone cares.

Bulldogger

Trinnov like every AV unit has a HDMI switcher. It has two HDMI outputs and both outputs have audio enabled.

However, I still can’t understand why you gave an AV processor as a reference. As I said earlier, the audio of their HDMI output is not something anyone cares.
Oh, that "high" was meant to and apparently did get your attention. The measurements of Denon, for example, are "that high" compared to Trinnov. Basically, I am wondering what could be done to improve the measurements. It's something I wonder about all of these devices. There is not one I really like. I would not be surprised if the measurements are inferior to Denon, even after the new dacs. It just seems outrageous that Denon could engineer a product for 1/10 the price with better measurements.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, that "high" was meant to and apparently did get your attention. The measurements of Denon are "that high" compared to Trinnov. Basically, I am wondering what could be done to improve the measurements. It's something I wonder about all of these devices. There is not one I really like. I would not be surprised if the measurements are inferior to Denon, even after the new dacs. It just seems outrageous that Denon could engineer a product for 1/10 the price with better measurements.
Denon has the staffing resources to develop and offer superior product for less money because it has a pro division and the consumer division and they share technology for more cost effective solutions. I used to provide Denon factory authorized repair service and the pro stuff was very similar inside to the domestic stuff. Same ICs, transistors and stuff and also sharing with Sony too. Lotsa partnering to develop the product that Denon is famous for. Great company to deal with too. Sooper.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, that "high" was meant to and apparently did get your attention. The measurements of Denon, for example, are "that high" compared to Trinnov. Basically, I am wondering what could be done to improve the measurements. It's something I wonder about all of these devices. There is not one I really like. I would not be surprised if the measurements are inferior to Denon, even after the new dacs. It just seems outrageous that Denon could engineer a product for 1/10 the price with better measurements.
Your reply has nothing to do with what you started saying (HDMI jitter) nor it is a response to what I replied. (There is not a mention of "high" in your posts, where that word came from I have no idea.) Are you here to diss Trinnov and talk about testicles?

Fidji

So overpriced for what it is but just like Louis Vitton!

I though we are all past this point already.

Is very simple. Bulldoggers life revolves around TRINNOV and his life mission is to make clear to everybody in internet how ****** Trinnov is. Well known fact also on Avsforum. There is nothing more in it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I though we are all past this point already.

Is very simple. Bulldoggers life revolves around TRINNOV and his life mission is to make clear to everybody in internet how ****** Trinnov is. Well known fact also on Avsforum. There is nothing more in it.
So he is a troll?

Fidji

So he is a troll?
In regards of Trinnov, yes. I am just surprised we did not hear about Theta Casablanca yet, and how it will crush Trinnov.

Bulldogger

In regards of Trinnov, yes. I am just surprised we did not hear about Theta Casablanca yet, and how it will crush Trinnov.
No. Theta sucks too. Theirs specs are better than Denon's but just barely. All of the AV products are inferior. Let's not run out of ideas and resort to personal attacks. I own the Audiopraise Vanity pro and the sound I can get out of it with my external dacs is better than what I have ever gotten from a prepro. If I can figure out out to manage Dolby Atmos without one, I don't think I will own any of them. I avoided any audio sourced over HDMI for a decade.

I have attacked Trinnov. For one reason primarily. I thought for the price, they could offer better dacs. I was delighted, to see Amir finally inspire them improve the processor. If I have had an agenda that's it. I do sincerely feel it is outrageous for Trinnov to be beaten by Denon. It should not offend you. You should be outraged as well.

Actually, I hadn't considered that since the Trinnov is a PC, it can output audio over HDMI just like my HTPC. I can put the Vanity Pro on the HDMI output and avoid the inferior sound of a prepro.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
HDMI jitter is high, true, but virtually every audio device today reclocks the audio bitstream using a PLL to reduce jitter to tiny (inaudible) levels. Ten or 15 years ago or more it was a big problem, but that is a solved problem for any competent device. Amir measured jitter at <-120 dB on the Trinnov Altitude 16, not as good as the best stand-alone DACs, but well below audibility. Not sure why you think it is not using a "modern clock type". For that matter, PLLs have been around a long, long time (early days of radio, 1930's IIRC).

I do not think the higher jitter of most AVR/AVPs is due to HDMI, but rather all the other processing in the box that is not well isolated from the DAC. Much of that is probably to meet a size and price point.

If you do not like Trinnov, do not buy Trinnov, or any other AVR/AVP.

Top Bottom