• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Oh trust me they can. You only need them to be infinitely rigid if you’re talking about REFLECTIONS at very low frequencies.

Even few centimetres of concrete can completely reflect a wave at 200Hz.

As for room modes as long as the structure doesn’t leak air that’s enough for really deep nulls depending on where you sit.
Yes, agreed that really deep nulls are a problem in typical rooms (sealed or not), even if they aren't truly infinite... And you shouldn't put excessive energy into a deep null (infinite or not) via EQ.

The original answer provided was a generality for a users situation. Anyway, let's not derail this thread; plenty of nuances to low frequency optimization, and the finer points can be discussed in existing/new threads on the topic.

Last edited:

hwest

What is your take on buying the Trinnov ST2 Pro optimizer and use it for home theater and music on a 7.2 system? I'm thinking that could be a much cheaper investment than an Altitude 16 at 17K. I can get the ST2 for about 5K and add it to a competent AVR controller with Balanced outputs.
I'm nervous about going with a Trinnov 16 as right now I'm getting amazing sound if I compare my current setup with some rather expensive setups. I'm afraid my expectations would be very high for a 17K unit coming in to replace what I currently have and somehow I have this setup tweaked to sound amazing, perhaps I have the perfect storm going on here with the mixture of equipment I have and I definitely don't want to lose that quality sound I'm expecting to hear. I wouldn't say the Trinnov got glowing reviews for sound here but more for support and future improvements is how I read Amir's review if I'm not mistaken.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I have one. If you are really not sure then you should probably not buy one. I was really sure. I had nothing better to go to. BTW, almost all AVR/AVP brands must down sample hi-res music to 48hz when using room EQ simultaneously. Trinnovs do not. The A16 keeps 96hz and the A32 keeps 192hz even while using their room EQ software.

hwest

I have one. If you are really not sure then you should probably not buy one. I was really sure. I had nothing better to go to. BTW, almost all AVR/AVP brands must down sample hi-res music to 48hz when using room EQ simultaneously. Trinnovs do not. The A16 keeps 96hz and the A32 keeps 192hz even while using their room EQ software.
I may wait to win the lottery then get the 32. :)

Mars2k

As an update, I'm adding a Topping E30 dac for the +4 feature with a single E30 added with toslink for really a +2 scenario adding 2 subwoofers at the end of 30 ft run of fiber to the E30. Turns out this is a cool feature as the DAC and Toslink cable cost less than a sing run of balanced cable alone.
There are a bunch of $20-$30 DACs on amazon The E30 was $149 I think but I have some other Topping gear that i'm happy with. I am only adding 2 extra channels but if I wanted 4 i would add another DAC and run SPDIF co-ax to that.
I just had a crew over intalling the speakers running wire and moving furniture. I haven't even gotten to mess with the Trinnov yet that will be a few days and then I call Antoine.
They will do a remote session. How does that happen do I need to set up VPN through my router or will port forwarding for VNC work?

BTW here is a pic of R2D2's buddy
trinnov_audio_3d_microphone_0_5x.png

Last edited:

Mars2k

Yes the 32's have better CPU's. My router recognizes the Motherboard on the 16 as an Asus. I'm fighting the temptation to look inside. I'm curious to see if the CPU is soldered it.

Mars2k

So how do you like you Nord multi? I have ATI 543 and 528 and need another 4 channels.

Golfx

Forum Donor
So how do you like you Nord multi? I have ATI 543 and 528 and need another 4 channels.
I like the Nord alot. ATI amps were on permanent backorder when I needed one. Nord Audio is a classy company to work with. They have an inexpensive option to pay for your import fees plus give you an U.S. repair location if you ever need it. It was a painless purchase and has been trouble free.

hwest

As an update, I'm adding a Topping E30 dac for the +4 feature with a single E30 added with toslink for really a +2 scenario adding 2 subwoofers at the end of 30 ft run of fiber to the E30. Turns out this is a cool feature as the DAC and Toslink cable cost less than a sing run of balanced cable alone.
There are a bunch of $20-$30 DACs on amazon The E30 was $149 I think but I have some other Topping gear that i'm happy with. I am only adding 2 extra channels but if I wanted 4 i would add another DAC and run SPDIF co-ax to that.
I just had a crew over intalling the speakers running wire and moving furniture. I haven't even gotten to mess with the Trinnov yet that will be a few days and then I call Antoine.
They will do a remote session. How does that happen do I need to set up VPN through my router or will port forwarding for VNC work?

BTW here is a pic of R2D2's buddy
View attachment 196064
I understand the topping is great quality but I guess I don't understand why HDMI is not used for along with Balanced since I know there is less distortion with a balanced connection in most scenarios. I need to leverage all 7 channels for what I have going on so Topping won't work for me unless I'm missing something? I could be.

Mars2k

I understand the topping is great quality but I guess I don't understand why HDMI is not used for along with Balanced since I know there is less distortion with a balanced connection in most scenarios. I need to leverage all 7 channels for what I have going on so Topping won't work for me unless I'm missing something? I could be.
BTW I mispoke in that prious post. I didn't do my math correctly. I will be using 2 x E30s iinstead of 1.
Well yes you may be missing something. We were talking about Trinnov Altitude-16's new +4 feature. Trinnov has an intersing method of adding additional channel outputs. I couldn't tell if you have a Trinnov now or are thinking of buying one. The Trinnov Altitude 16 has 16 balanced out to begin with. So they certainly would have your 7.1 covered, However, with a new software upgrade they have added 4 more speaker channel outputs or what they call +4. Using the Altitude's digital outputs, ,coax SPDIF and optical Toslink, you can feed 2 simple external stereo DACS for 4 extra channels or 16 + 4 = 20 speaker channel outputs. Hence "+4". Thats where the Topping E30s comes in. You could use almost any external DAC so if those DACs had balanced out that would work too. Amazon has several in the $25 range. I'm using my +4 with 2 x E30s (stereo RCA unbalanced)) to drive 4 subwoofers that are not equipped with balanced inputs so I'm not too worried about distortion from unbalanced v balanced. I'm using balanced on the other 16 channels. Basically 16 main and surround speakers using 16 balanced outputs of the Altitude 16 along with 4 powered subwoofers utilizing Altitude's +4 feature using 2 x E30s ( 1 each on coax and optical)
You can drive 20 speakers total in any combination. All of these channels are assignable and can be configured in a variety of ways, position, EQ etc. The Altitude is smart enough to adapt whatever speaker topology (within reason) you have configured, say Atmos, or DTS, or Auro 3D and correct that on the fly to play any of the other formats you want. So lets say I have Atmos as a physical speaker set up. Altitude can recognize a DTS playback format and correct for the Atmos physical configuration to simulate the DTS or Auro.

Olli

Forum Donor
For the Maximum Boost setting, how high have some of you gone? I bumped mine up to 10dB, mainly to help get a null for my subwoofer between 70-90Hz up, but was wondering if I can add a bit more.
The sub is a Funk 21.0L....before when I was using Dirac I had a bump in EQ applied internally for the subs DSP along with Dirac adding on top and never had issues.

I am now running the sub flat (no EQ bump per Nathan at Funks recommendation) so wondering if I can get away with adding more boost in the Trinnov
Check this out - lots of info on settings etc:
Post in thread 'Trinnov Altitude / JBL SDP-75'
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/trinnov-altitude-jbl-sdp-75.13095/post-394999

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Be sure to read the contributions from Mitch (@mitchco ) and wade through the pix and commentary on the settings in that thread. Mitch's book is also a good read to gain some background on what and why of all the processing.

There is also a very active thread on AVS (though I have not been there in quite a while).

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Be sure to read the contributions from Mitch (@mitchco ) and wade through the pix and commentary on the settings in that thread. Mitch's book is also a good read to gain some background on what and why of all the processing.

There is also a very active thread on AVS (though I have not been there in quite a while).
Have you ever taken post Optimizer sweeps using REW to see how well your subs interact together once Trinnov calibration is done?

Definitely getting a lot of input on the AVS forum that if I'm using two or more subs I will only get a good result if I use REW and either a MiniDSP or the Active Crossover section of the Trinnov to either EQ all the subs together as one input or apply post correction PEQ+delay+trim.

Kegger

That’s what I keep seeing. When I pull the trigger on my new 9.4.6 dedicated theater, I need an AVP that doesn’t down sample hi-res music. From what I’ve seen, the A32 does the best job of this. Why is it so hard to find a processor that does home theater, but also doesn’t destroy a hi-res music file to play on 2 channel listening? I’m dying to see what the new Anthem AVM90 does considering it accepts a 32 bit/768khz music file.

Olli

Forum Donor
h
Have you ever taken post Optimizer sweeps using REW to see how well your subs interact together once Trinnov calibration is done?

Definitely getting a lot of input on the AVS forum that if I'm using two or more subs I will only get a good result if I use REW and either a MiniDSP or the Active Crossover section of the Trinnov to either EQ all the subs together as one input or apply post correction PEQ+delay+trim.
Exactly. Sub (4) MGMT is not good in my case w/ Trinnov. Ok when using MSO on top. Perfect with SOTA DSP software like Audiolense. See REW measurements in the aforementioned thread.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I REALLY didn't want to/don't want to get into the REW/MSO/off-board DSP rabbit hole. Honestly, I don't have the time to want to do any of that again.
I may just stick with the single sub and let the mains help with the null the way Antoine tweaked my results.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Not since I first set it up, when the measured results closely matched the "post" curves the SDP-75 (Trinnov) produced, and about that time a Windows update took out my HDMI driver and I've never fixed it (that was maybe three years ago; life got busy). A reminder to self that I really need to get that driver working again...

Yup, that is the usual advice, but I was violating it before getting my SDP-75 and since. It takes some futzing around either way, and chances are I ended up manually doing what a miniDSP might do, but my response has always been decent. My plans were to take measurements and compare MSO to SFM and such but I just never had the time and/or strong enough interest. You can run something like MSO and manually enter the filter coefficients into the Trinnov -- that was my plan, since I have enough channels to put each sub on its own channel. Ditto with SFM (Harman's Sound Field Management). Trinnov has always claimed their way worked just fine as-is, though also claimed to be working on a more advanced scheme (I have lost track, again free time has been nil the past few years, or I've been too tired to tackle it).

I'd suggest setting it up and running it first, see how it does, then look into alternatives if need be. You can always do it later, and it is not all that hard to run once you have all the pieces in place (UMIK-1 and REW plus the connection to the Trinnov, then run MSO or whatever and enter the filter coefficients into the Trinnov, miniDSP, etc.) From what I have seen, bearing in mind I have not kept up, results are pretty widely varied and a function of the room, natch. Some have seen great improvement going the miniDSP route (or similar), whilst others have had good response straight from the optimizer. I am sort of in-between; I ran the Optimizer then tweaked sub and SDP-75 settings to dial everything in for the best bass response (focusing on the crossover region). I did the same with MCCAC and Dirac Live when I was using them. It took me a few afternoons spread over a month or two as I had the time, though I was able to get it pretty close the first day or two I set it up (I was able to set aside a weekend to play with it).

I am the perfect candidate for a miniDSP, Accourate, etc. -- if not for an insane work schedule and too many other things going on in life. I got mine good enough for now and will tweak when I have more time for it.

But do wade through the other thread that @Olli referenced -- there are a lot of measurements there and a wealth of discussion. I have found what works to be very dependent upon room, speakers, and listener's goals so do not believe there is a single solution best for all. Multiple measurements and using MSO/SFM/etc. is probably best for frequency response and such, but the trade is the effort (HW, SW, and time) to achieve it. I have always planned to expend the effort, but what I have now is "good enough" that I have not felt the need in the face of other obligations. I did spend a couple of weekends tweaking it in to get what I consider good response, but have not done much since except rerun the Optimizer as things changed. I hope to retire soon (a moving target) and have more time to play.

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks @DonH56

I'm the same. I know how to do the extra tweaking...but I am swamped. I just want to come home, put on a movie, and build my amps. And on the weekends I don't want to waste a few hours playing around as I have a car project to work on or lab work to do, etc.

I'll probably keep things easy on myself and just do one extra sub for now. Keep it relatively simple.

Mars2k

That’s what I keep seeing. When I pull the trigger on my new 9.4.6 dedicated theater, I need an AVP that doesn’t down sample hi-res music. From what I’ve seen, the A32 does the best job of this. Why is it so hard to find a processor that does home theater, but also doesn’t destroy a hi-res music file to play on 2 channel listening? I’m dying to see what the new Anthem AVM90 does considering it accepts a 32 bit/768khz music file.
Well, Maybe the AVM 90 will be better than my AVM70. I bought the 70 because my dealer assured me that it would be "Roon Ready" after just a while. It never certified. for that. I would be surprised if the 90 ever will be either. If you have an outboard Roon target you could get what you're looking for if the pre-amp can pass an un processed analogue signal. Also I have been thouroughly unimpressed with Antherm processors after having owned 2. The 70 was buggy and more than once required rebooting or factory reset to get it to behave.

Top Bottom