• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

sondans

Forum Donor
You should take a look at the StormAudio and definitely listen to it, in terms of reliability, Storm sets new standards.
The last I heard was that Storm does not (yet?) accept multi-channel input from Roon.

sondans

Forum Donor
Disclaimer: I am not an expert on JBL/Trinnov processors.

The JBL version does not include Trinnov's remapping capability, mainly because some key players at JBL/Harman argued against it AFAIK. Hand-wavingly, the remapping ability lets the unit "synthesize" a "virtual" speaker at a place among or between other physical speakers in your layout. This could be useful if you have an Atmos layout and want to listen to Auros recordings with "proper" speaker positions, or if you cannot place a speaker where it should be. For example, if you had to place a surround speaker forward or behind the recommended Dolby placement, remapping could create a virtual surround speaker at the "perfect" spot but by mixing signals appropriately from the front and rear speakers.

I decided I could live without that since I am OK with my speaker positions even though they are a little off the ideal Dolby speaker map. There is a pretty wide range for the positions and, even in my very imperfect room, I am pretty close. The con I have heard is that the remapping works best for a small listening area and in larger rooms. I do not know since I have not heard it (and do not have it since I have a JBL version). For certain situations and listeners it could be a big plus, but I (in my very biased opinion) suspect it is not used by the majority of owners.

The JBL versions also do not have separate user (manual) PEQ. This is in addition to all the filters in the Optimizer and again something I felt I could live without. Of the calibrators to whom I spoke, one felt that was a major shortcoming, whilst the other seemed to think it more "meh" since it is sort of sprinkles on the icing of a very big cake. Instead of the user PEQ, the JBL version comes preloaded with fixed PEQ (they changed the name to AEQ) settings for a variety of Revel and JBL speakers using their measured data. I thought that was kind of cool, but again is sort of layered on top of the basic (and very extensive) filter structures already there, so I didn't feel it a big deal either way. It is sort of like adding an EQ that helps correct the speakers' response before the room correction SW. In the end, the Optimizer lets you enter your own curves to whatever you feel appropriate.

I think there are a couple of other minor differences but don't recall them now. Some of the differences are less now compared to when I purchased as JBL and Trinnov have been working together so the platforms are merging.

HTH - Don

My cc speaker will be sitting in a non-ideal place just below a TV. Based on the screen width (65 to 83" diagonal tv), the Trinnov defined listening area will be considerably smaller than my larger 14'x24' family room. This might make remapping more important?
I had initially only planned on a 5.1 system (5 Revel Be speakers) , but if I'm buying the Altitude anyway, it would be a shame not to add a few more speakers and fully utilize its potential. When I remodelled my family room I incorporated Constrained Layer Damping in the ceiling and two adjacent side walls to absorb low frequencies. I still need to build pilasters and add crown molding which could be used to hide wiring for additional speakers.

Also will the separate user (manual) PEQ be useful for setting up an "optimized dialogue intelligibiltiy" mode? This is quite important to me.

Thanks

sondans

Forum Donor
I had a similar opportunity with a JBL SDP-75 (B-stock???) in terms of pricing. IIRC, I think you had to buy the additional CODECs like the Altitude 32 series. If the CODECs are included, it may be worth considering. I wonder if Trinnov would give you the same tech support or if you would have to go through JBL first? If you aren't going to go beyond 16 channels, I'd lean toward the Altitude 16.
I'm not planning on more than 16 channels.
Thanks for your advice.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Putting aside the 3D remapping for the moment, what are the reason(s) for your JBL recommendation if price is close?
Thank you!
The digital outs.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My cc speaker will be sitting in a non-ideal place just below a TV. Based on the screen width (65 to 83" diagonal tv), the Trinnov defined listening area will be considerably smaller than my larger 14'x24' family room. This might make remapping more important?
I had initially only planned on a 5.1 system (5 Revel Be speakers) , but if I'm buying the Altitude anyway, it would be a shame not to add a few more speakers and fully utilize its potential. When I remodelled my family room I incorporated Constrained Layer Damping in the ceiling and two adjacent side walls to absorb low frequencies. I still need to build pilasters and add crown molding which could be used to hide wiring for additional speakers.

Also will the separate user (manual) PEQ be useful for setting up an "optimized dialogue intelligibiltiy" mode? This is quite important to me.

Thanks

I would not expect remapping to matter in that scenario. You can adjust the EQ curves independently of the PEQ.

The biggest the advantage of the JBL is the preprogrammed compensatory EQ for JBL and Revel speakers. With a Revel setup, the JBL was the logical choice for me.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks, I did not know that.
If was satisfied with the "quality" of JBL/Trinnov dacs, are there any other useful things I could do with that (processed?) digital signal?
You could use active speakers with digital inputs.

TGB

Altitude32 support up to 16 channels digital output, but keep in mind that AES67 will be made available for both Altitude16 and Altitude32 later this year.

herculepirate

Is there any Processor that I can buy that measures well and does not cost an arm and a leg.
Trinnov is way out and serves the 1%.

Any processors that measure well???

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any Processor that I can buy that measures well and does not cost an arm and a leg.
Trinnov is way out and serves the 1%.

Any processors that measure well???
Probably depends on your definitions of:
-Processor...Getting a Denon X3700, and putting it in preamp mode would probably be the best/least expensive route (no balanced connections if that is important)
-Arm and a leg-Monoprice HTP1 is $4k and measures well. It seems to be actively developed and owners seem happy with it.

Also it depends on how many channels you need.. if you need more than 11+subs, then it is going to cost you.

Edit: HTP1 still does not have DTSX Pro (which I find to be a big issue)

Last edited:

herculepirate

I base
Probably depends on your definitions of:
-Processor...Getting a Denon X3700, and putting it in preamp mode would probably be the best/least expensive route (no balanced connections if that is important)
-Arm and a leg-Monoprice HTP1 is $4k and measures well. It seems to be actively developed and owners seem happy with it.

Also it depends on how many channels you need.. if you need more than 11+subs, then it is going to cost you.

Edit: HTP1 still does not have DTSX Pro (which I find to be a big issue)

I basically am looking for a 2.2 set up.
Currently have the Genelec 8260a and will add subs
I am looking for a preamp basically to have HDMI inputs and hopefully one with Spotify connect or one of the streamers built in.
Monoprice HTP-1 did not measure well or at least was not on the recommended list. For that price.... hmmmm
Monoprice HTP-1 review

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I base

I basically am looking for a 2.2 set up.
Currently have the Genelec 8260a and will add subs
I am looking for a preamp basically to have HDMI inputs and hopefully one with Spotify connect or one of the streamers built in.
Monoprice HTP-1 did not measure well or at least was not on the recommended list. For that price.... hmmmm
Monoprice HTP-1 review

If you only need 2.2 miniDSP SHD + HDMI extractor is a good option.

Michael

Blackdevil77

I'm wondering the same. Seems like the Trinnov is the only 16+ channel processor that's any good. I may cave eventually, but I wish there was a processor in the $10,000 range that performs well. Seems insane that that's too much to ask.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you only need 2.2 miniDSP SHD + HDMI extractor is a good option.

Michael

It's a solution I have often considered but it doesn't seem to be multiple-subwoofer friendly... A bummer if true as I consider multiple subwoofer the better way for optimal bass in most rooms.

I'm wondering the same. Seems like the Trinnov is the only 16+ channel processor that's any good. I may cave eventually, but I wish there was a processor in the $10,000 range that performs well. Seems insane that that's too much to ask.

Same here. I use an AVR and love the sound of my system. I am fully aware however that my system is not optimal. AVsR with Audyssey as a DRC solution while interesting and frankly inexpensive are not the best solution for system with multiple vocation. AS I have posted in another post a PC + one of the DRC could be a solution until one realizes that there aren't many Pre/Pro with digital output after decoding... It is quite possible to cobble up a Frankenstein with PC + HDMI extractor and ... but ... so far one of the few solutions for serious DRC, bass and the availability of multiple channel decoders such as Atmos , Auro etc ... is the Trinnov. I may cave too :(

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a solution I have often considered but it doesn't seem to be multiple-subwoofer friendly... A bummer if true as I consider multiple subwoofer the better way for optimal bass in most rooms.

I would use a MiniDSP 2*4 (HD or regular) to integrate 4 subs into an AVR or anything upstream that cannot support 4 Subs.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would use a MiniDSP 2*4 (HD or regular) to integrate 4 subs into an AVR or anything upstream that cannot support 4 Subs.

Exactly what I was doing. It is not as flexible as you would think at first blush. if you use the miniDSP 2x4 (any flavor) then you lose a sub out put, so 2 subs maximum and the rest for the Left and Right channel .. Center is out of the equation and left to the AVR/Pre/Pro ... If you accept the summed bass from the AVR sub out, then no correction or crossover to the mains ... You can always use the 2x4 as a sub integrator for the mains (left and right) but if your center is capable then you better use the AVR for the correct final EQ ... A suboptimal solution. Still, its better than nothing but if you need more, then it comes back to the Trinnov or similar and so far there are very few "similar's :).

My current solution is to use the miniDSP 2 x 4 for the L and Right and 2 subs .. and the AVR when I am listening to 2-Channel, and the AVR for MCH ... I like the sound of my system but can her its shortcomings and limitations in MCH... Again the Trinnov seems to provide the solution, at an elevated cost, true but commensurate with the results. It seems to do more and better than most products on the market.
As an aside, i am not fixate on SINAD as I once was. A good metric but I did listen for a very long time to LP, even in m foolish early days as an audiophile thinking them superior to CD.. Yep I 've been stupid :D ... And SINAD on LP cannot go over 70 dB and I am being generous . The SINAD measurements on the Trinnov aren't stellar or category leading or even remotely in the same ballpark as much less expensive desktop DACs but a Trinnov is still capable of delivering the full Dynamic Range one will ever encounter on any recorded material available to the public ... I can live with 80 dB SINAD, especially when the list of features addressing real world problems is exhaustive...
If it weren't so dear, I would have pulled the plug... As it is: Better speakers first, then ...

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
Exactly what I was doing. It is not as flexible as you would think at first blush. if you use the miniDSP 2x4 (any flavor) then you lose a sub out put, so 2 subs maximum and the rest for the Left and Right channel .. Center is out of the equation and left to the AVR/Pre/Pro ... If you accept the summed bass from the AVR sub out, then no correction or crossover to the mains ... You can always use the 2x4 as a sub integrator for the mains (left and right) but if your center is capable then you better use the AVR for the correct final EQ ... A suboptimal solution. Still, its better than nothing but if you need more, then it comes back to the Trinnov or similar and so far there are very few "similar's :).

My current solution is to use the miniDSP 2 x 4 for the L and Right and 2 subs .. and the AVR when I am listening to 2-Channel, and the AVR for MCH ... I like the sound of my system but can her its shortcomings and limitations in MCH... Again the Trinnov seems to provide the solution, at an elevated cost, true but commensurate with the results. It seems to do more and better than most products on the market.
As an aside, i am not fixate on SINAD as I once was. A good metric but I did listen for a very long time to LP, even in m foolish early days as an audiophile thinking them superior to CD.. Yep I 've been stupid :D ... ANd SINAD on LP cannot go over 70 dB and I am being generous . The SINAD measurements on the Trinnov aren't stellar or category leading or even remotely in the same ballpark as much less expensive desktop DACs but a Trinnov is still capable of delivering the full Dynamic Range one will ever encounter on any recorded material available to the public ... I can live with 80 dB SINAD, especially when the list of features addressing real world problems is exhaustive...
If it weren't so dear, I would have pulled the plug... As it is: better speakers first, then ...
During recent review by Amir, trinnov mentioned they were in the process of improving the SINAD of their DACs and working toward a HDMI 2.1 solution. I intend on waiting for both and then buying the altitude 16. I also looked at the recent lyngdorf mp60 2.1 but the room correction isn’t as good as trinnov’s and their SINAD is below what I think it should be. The biggest boost for trinnov is their reputation of good customer support and cost free software updates. I also like the idea that they can remotely diagnose and fix setup and playback problems.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I was recently reminded of a product that is lost in JBL expansive catalog and Harman poor marketing: The JBL Intonato-24 speaker management system. I believe @jtwrace use it in his system. Edit : He uses the BLU for his M2
I wonder if this could not be a very good , solution if one uses JBL speakers and desire to configure a 2-channel, MCH , Atmos or Auro or DS with Multi sub systems. It seems to do it all. Also comes with its own microphone and the price is ..OK I guess <$3500

I can't begin to understand Harman (even under Samsung) marketing strategy :eek:. They have a bevy of solutions that is nver mentioned or advertised. This is one of many... :rolleyes: ..:mad::mad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom