• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Triangle Borea BR03 Review (bookshelf speaker)

michaelahess

Yep, 3way can get rid of the messy midrange leakage from the port.
You are listening to a rather different sound from (probably) the same midwoofer drivers.
BRC1 (centre channel) could have the same sort of problem but the location of the ports are different so I guess it could be less pronounced.

Interesting, and good to know. I was considering buying the BR03's for my office which has the JBL S38's currently. Maybe I'll look at the Debut or something else, Infinity maybe. Thank you for explaining that!

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Heck - if we're really squeezed for budget...
Infinity R162
1616686378498.png

Arc Acoustics

Decades ago, this price range was filled by cr... less good loudspeakers but now, countless (could be exaggeration) gems.
Even if it was zirconia, it's still glittering.
Amazing, isn't it?

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The problem here is that the beginner audiophile will buy these speakers for the budget without knowing that it holds well the road but some time later he will want "to go up in range" with B&W 607 S2 Anniversary Edition :facepalm:

cyruz

The problem here is that the beginner audiophile will buy these speakers for the budget without knowing that it holds well the road but some time later he will want "to go up in range" with B&W 607 S2 Anniversary Edition :facepalm:

I bet they'll sound more airy and musical.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it interesting that EQ did not improve these speakers during Amir's listening review, I guess that supports the idea that there's something wrong with these speakers as a whole....there's probably a number of factors working together to create that "whole" because otherwise Amir would have nailed it down.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it interesting that EQ did not improve these speakers during Amir's listening review, I guess that supports the idea that there's something wrong with these speakers as a whole....there's probably a number of factors working together to create that "whole" because otherwise Amir would have nailed it down.
Or his EQs weren't appropriate or he had listening fatigue or bad mood. I am listening to the same systems almost every day and subjectively feel huge quality differences between some days where they sound stunning and some where the only solution is to shut them down till the next day as they just don't sound good. But on the other hand I am just a normal human with unfortunately non absolute and infallible judgement and it often takes me months to optimise an EQ although I am experimenting systematically with DRC since more than 10 years now.

With that I don't want to say that he experienced may not be true, but personally I would do further experimenting before I search for deeper fundamental reasons.

Last edited:

dorirod

Or his EQs weren't appropriate or he had listening fatigue or bad mood. I am listening to the same systems almost every day and subjectively feel huge quality differences between some days where they sound stunning and some where the only solution is to shut them down till the next day as they just don't sound good. But on the other hand I am just a normal human with unfortunately non absolute and infallible judgement and it often takes me months to optimise an EQ although I am experimenting systematically with DRC since more than 10 years now.

With that I don't want to say that he experienced may not be true, but personally I would do further experimenting before I search for deeper fundamental reasons.

First set of speakers to require EQ (emotional quotient) for enjoyment...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Probably less likely re fatigue or bad mood, as he said he switched back to the Revel in the same listening session and it sounded good.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Usually when I eq, I am able to take away a glaring negative aspect of a speaker with little to no consequence. Here, it seemed to fix a problem but potentially changed the tonality in the way that I thought someone may not prefer. And indeed in some tests I did not think I preferred it. A more exact correction may do better. Here is an intermediate version I saved:

1616704191414.png

The high frequency shelving was especially tough to adjust. In one version I took out the higher bass (around 100 Hz) and while that removed boominess, I thought it also cost too much in bass response.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually when I eq, I am able to take away a glaring negative aspect of a speaker with little to no consequence. Here, it seemed to fix a problem but potentially changed the tonality in the way that I thought someone may not prefer. And indeed in some tests I did not think I preferred it. A more exact correction may do better. Here is an intermediate version I saved:

View attachment 120341

The high frequency shelving was especially tough to adjust. In one version I took out the higher bass (around 100 Hz) and while that removed boominess, I thought it also cost too much in bass response.
Just by eyeballing the on-axis response maybe it would have been better only taking down 800Hz by 2dB instead of 3dB, and perhaps shifting the High Shelf cut to be at 8kHz rather than 5kHz, and praps putting in a 1dB low Q filter at about 350Hz to boost that range from 200-600Hz.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
praps putting in a 1dB low Q filter at about 350Hz to boost that range from 200-600Hz.
1 dB corrections are so subtle that sighted testing is not a good way to develop them.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I started the shelving at 8 kHz actually but it would still sound bright to me. So I knocked it lower.
Fair enough
1 dB corrections are so subtle that sighted testing is not a good way to develop them.
True, but low Q filters amplify the ability to notice the change, and that 1dB low Q boost at 350Hz would be synergistic with the change to the 800Hz filter.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought they were ok, but not my favorite in this price range. They looked cool, but like @amirm said, the sound signature confused me. So odd. After using them for a few weeks, I decided I liked them enough, but I could tell they weren't neutral. I have a review up on YT from a while back. The phase plug in front of the tweeter causes the narrow dip at 16khz. I measured it on the center channel too.
Did you like the Elac Debut Reference better?

Top Bottom