• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Triangle Borea BR03 pairing

rhz

I've tried three amps with these speakers:

Cambridge Audio AXA35 was just dull.
Emotiva A-100 seemed to have a v-shaped signature that left vocals recessed. There was great detail at the low and high ends.
NAD 316BEE V2 was the opposite of the Emotiva--vocals were emphasized at the expense of detail elsewhere.

I'm pretty new to audio, but I'm guessing on the basis of my experience up to now, I'm looking for something quite neutral.

I'm wondering what other options may make sense for say under $500. I've heard some good things about the Vista Spark 2 (bummer it doesn't have a headphone jack though, 20W, but the Triangles are very efficient, so maybe this would work). I also heard about the Iotavx SA3, but it seems like a pain to order in directly from the UK (read that they were unresponsive to emails and expensive return options from US).

I will be streaming music from a computer through a DAC. If I get a DAC with a volume control (e.g., Topping E30), I guess I could consider a power amp (with no volume knob).

I'd love to learn of recommendations, especially from those who own these Triangle speakers.

Thanks--this forum has been really helpful.

SECA_alan

I've moved on from Triangle now, but my EWA Claymore integrated was just perfect with my Antal.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thomas & Stereo say class d amp

wje

Forum Donor
I'm not sure the IOTAVX SA3 would be enough to make them sing. I tried using the SA3 with my Magnepans - just to see what the result was. The Magenapan MG .7 was just "dull". Instead, I use the SA3 as my preamplifier and drive my speakers with a Parasound A23+, which was the ticket for me. You can find a used A23, with a few less watts than the A23+ for about $650 and pair it with a cheaper pre-amp or even an AVR receiver with pre-outs. I've had "OK" luck with some of the cheaper class "D" amps - Behringer A800, Crown XLS1502. However, for me, the Crown XL1502 would drive the Magnepan MG .7 sufficiently, the bass really started to bloom when going to the A23+. If you can't afford decent amplification yet, save up some money and get something a little better down the road. Your ears will really appreciate it. For the record, I bought the A23+ for half price from a local seller and it included the box, manuals, etc. and was in "new" condition. I'd be hard pressed to find a decent class "D" amp that I'd want in the $800 range.

ThsM

As far as I read, Magnepans are very demanding. The Boreas on the other hand are less critical in terms of amplification. I don't see the IOTAVX to be a let down just because it didn't drive your Magnepans.

Tim6622

I would try a high power Icepower (125 asx or 250axx)based amp with more wattage than the emotiva amp you tried. Ghent audio has cases and kits although they seem pricey for a full assembled unit. I have the Icepower250a psu and modules in a stereo amp and to me it's been the best for the money beating my sony receiver, t- chip amp, ls- 48 amp, ljm l2-12 amp, and soon i will put it up against a $600 hypex 252mp amp. I got it because the data sheet provided measurements and general performance rating of the amplifier. The thd is very low at 0.0015% and all around has excellent performance for the price (note i got it in 2019 for 200$ assembled and Icepower modules have gone up according to multiple sellers i messaged). Ill post the specs for you to see Screenshot_20200921-095154.pngScreenshot_20200921-095215.png
Screenshot_20200921-095215.png

Attachments

• 20200919_105136.jpg
    20200919_105136.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 420
Top Bottom