• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Travagans DC Filter Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the "travagans tài píng tiān guó DC Filter." It is from a company in Taiwan and the only mention of it is in a couple of facebook posts. A member kindly sent it to me for review. I have no idea how much it costs.

The Travagans filter comes in a poorly made Baltic Birch plywood:

Topping D50s with travagans tài píng tiān guó DC Filter Audio review.jpg

Oddly, there is a voltmeter inside it which shines through the top if you squint enough:

12961357_756555564486038_3387610662551039020_o.jpg

It shows the voltage to two decimal places. I am sure there are people at Apple who are having a heart attack that someone has mastered industrial design and usability better than them! :)

Anyway, the idea of these devices is that they filter the power and hence, the same improvement occurs in your audio. No such proof is of course presented. So let's dig in to see if we can find it.

DC Power Filter DAC Measurements
I don't know about you but I don't listen to DC power. I listen to the output of my audio gear instead. So the only test that matters is what happens to the output of an audio product, not what goes in. To that end, I tested this filter using Topping D50s DAC being powered by my computer through its USB port. Everyone knows USB power is "bad" so a device like this has the best chance of doing good here.

First, the Topping D50s with straight USB power:

index.php

And now with the filter at hand:
Topping D50s with travagans tài píng tiān guó DC Filter..png

Nothing has changed.

Zooming in with wideband high resolution FFT we get the same news:

Topping D50s 1 kHz FFT with travagans tài píng tiān guó DC Filter Audio Measurements.png

Examining just the noise floor gives us no hope either:
Topping D50s noise floor with travagans tài píng tiān guó DC Filter Audio Measurements.png

DC Quality Measurements
Let's pretend with listen to power supply output direct and measure my USB port noise with and without this device:
USB Power Quality Audio Measurements with DC Filter.png

Ah, what do we have here? Yes, noise floor is reduced substantially but what the heck are those nice new peaks? Answer: likely some timer event in the voltmeter inside the device. the killer is that our hearing is most sensitive in 2 to 4 kHz and thing thing is injecting spikes in that very same range!

Thankfully our DAC didn't care and filtered this out just the same as USB power. But, the sin is there: this device worsens audibility, not better it.

Conclusions
Not only will this device take money out of your pocket, but will also make your desk look ugly too. Please stay away folks. As a minimum, ask for the type of measurements I am showing. Half the time I find these tweaks do more damage than good because whoever built them doesn't even measure them to see if they do what they think it does.

I can NOT recommend the travagans tài píng tiān guó DC Filter.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

They are forecasting subfreezing weather next week and the panthers are asking for warm clothing. Surely you don't want to disappoint them and have them shivering, right? So please donate what you can using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not only will this device take money out of your pocket, but will also make your desk look ugly too.

Aww, that's not nice. I think it's cute.

Thanks for the review!

Can we now consider testing this category of device finished?

It's unlikely that (m)any audiophile believers are convinced by any amount of further testing, and for the rest of us I think things are clear:

However well these devices do their job, there is no utility in them.

Nathan Raymond

Thanks for the review!

It's unlikely that (m)any audiophile believers are convinced by any amount of further testing, and for the rest of us I think things are clear:

I'm on the fence. On the one hand, I'd never buy a device like this because I have enough of a basic background in electronics to have common sense that would preclude such a purchase. I do find reading these reviews very entertaining though. Also, there are people out there who, with a lack of any electronics background, if there weren't objective reviews like this, could be convinced/suckered into buying these things, so such reviews may be a practical help to a segment of the public (I think the general public would benefit from more of an understanding of basic electronics, but that's unlikely to happen, especially since people just seem to think you can google things you don't know these days).

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It's nice to see devices like this once in a while, for fun.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review!

I agree, but I do want o see some crazy expensive power cleaner from PS Audio or another big name in this field tested just to end any possible discussion.

I'm on the fence. On the one hand, I'd never buy a device like this because I have enough of a basic background in electronics to have common sense that would preclude such a purchase. I do find reading these reviews very entertaining though. Also, there are people out there who, with a lack of any electronics background, if there weren't objective reviews like this, could be convinced/suckered into buying these things, so such reviews may be a practical help to a segment of the public (I think the general public would benefit from more of an understanding of basic electronics, but that's unlikely to happen, especially since people just seem to think you can google things you don't know these days).

I don't dispute the utility of a couple of reviews in categories such as this. One review of an "audiophile" Ethernet switch was also good to have, though in that case I understood enough to know the outcome.

I only vote for no further reviews of this type of device (or Ethernet switches).

There are so many device categories where measurements can guide buying decisions, and we can use the data there.

gvl

Major Contributor
One less obvious benefit of such a device is you can use wood stain of any color on it to match your furniture.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One less obvious benefit of such a device is you can use wood stain of any color on it to match your furniture.
Or, you know, sculpt the casing.
iu

Yeah, I have a thing for rosewood...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Seems like one of the most perfect products! I should open a company doing devices like this too. Call it DNAudio for "do Nothing Audio". It doesn't hurt your device and it doesn't help it but you will "hear the difference" ;0

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I don't think D50s' USB transport chip is getting the power through computer's USB port, but you can check this with a very cheap USB "multimeter" like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Multimeter-Current-Detector-delivery/dp/B07P252NY2. You'll see the current drawn, if any, but also the voltage drop when you insert the DAC, if indeed it gets the power from the USB port.

Also, inside D50/D50s I can see several regulators like TPS65130, so I don't think these care much about how the USB power looks like. I think that USB powered DACs from these day are quite well designed, so USB decrapifiers may not help at all, like seen on the Schiit Wyrd.

Maybe ODAC v1 might get some improved measurements from this DC filter...but maybe,

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, but I do want o see some crazy expensive power cleaner from PS Audio or another big name in this field tested just to end any possible discussion.
In a way I do too but the fact is, measuring the output of the cleaner will probably show it changes the waveform of the mains input but whether it changes the sound depends only on if the hifi plugged into the cleaner needs cleaner mains to work properly.
This means if a competent piece of kit is plugged into it its output will be unaffected and if a bad piece of kit has its output improved it is just further evidence that one shouldn't buy bad pieces of kit then put expensive lipstick on the pig.

Top Bottom