• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Transmitter for multiple headphones?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Boquete Park Site.jpg
In the near future, we will be building a new community theater in a new riverside park which is currently under construction). It will be located here in Boquete, Chiriqui, Panama in the open space at the center of the above photo, and will likely have a capacity of about 200-300 people.

Many of our residents - some locals and many expats - are senior citizens, and not all are bilingual. Plus, many seniors are hearing impaired. My proposal is to have a dual channel wireless headphone system, one for Español and the other for English. Battery-powered receivers would have 3.5mm jacks for either theater-provided rental headphones - or people can bring their own. It is my understanding that Bluetooth is limited to two receivers, and that a better choice might be 2.4GHz as used by stage musicians would be a good choice.

I gave up on my internet search. Avantree had a nice option for up to 100 headphones, but the the Model TR2403 has recently been scrubbed from their website and confirmed to be no longer available.

Edit/Update: I just received an email from Avantree that the TR2403 is out of stock, but will return to the website at a later date. Hovever, it is a single-channel system and therefore cannot be used for dual-language presentation.

This is a blue sky question - I am open to any and all suggestions.

I will be starting a separate thread on the overall design of the theater. Although we are using a top-notch architectural firm, they are open to suggestions from the community theater volunteer organization. And besides, we have a bunch of old, retired tecchies who are not suffering from the Dunning-Kruger Effect, but believe we can do a decent job of making recommendations to the architects based on experience and a lot of research. What could go wrong?

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would not use cheap Amazon stuff for a group event, especially for what seems to be a permanent establishment.
Agreed, Pozz. I am definitely looking at pro/commercial gear, and started with Sweetwater and BHP. That Tourtalk system is US$4,200

I found listings for Avantree at Amazon, but everything else was brands I had never heard of, and like a lot of cheapo audio today, much of it looks like random brandings of generic crap.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Agreed, Pozz. I am definitely looking at pro/commercial gear, and started with Sweetwater and BHP. That Tourtalk system is US$4,200

I found listings for Avantree at Amazon, but everything else was brands I had never heard of, and like a lot of cheapo audio today, much of it looks like random brandings of generic crap.
In Panama you have the temperature and humidity to deal with. Contacting some of the silent conference firms might be worth your while, since they might have experience there (plenty of fancy business and academic conferences in warm, lush parts of the world).

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom