• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Transistors in a blanket?

dr0ss

The following is a daughterboard my Rotel A12 integrated amp:

IMG_20211115_150834.jpg

There are four transistors (I assume) clad in plastic jackets (orange in the photo). The plastic is sticky from time and probably heat; note the little bits of dust and detritus stuck to the plastic. Any ideas why Rotel would have decided to do this? Surely not to protect the transistors from the cold, this amp does not run cool. I'm thinking of cutting the plastic off before it melts completely and causes a gooey mess. (I recently lost a pricey sheetfeed scanner after the rollers dissolved.)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks to me like each enclosure contains two transistors which need to be thermally coupled, hence the insulating enclosure. Removing these would affect the thermal stability of the amp, so not a good idea, unless you replace them with something equally effective.

The plastic going gooey wouldn't affect the operation, unlike a sheet feeder that relies on correct paper handling.

If there's some other explanation, then I don't know.

S

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, this is for thermal stability (looks like thermal paste or silicone in there).
Also possible these were Hfe matched pairs before they were fitted.

OP
D

dr0ss

OK, thanks. I guess that would explain the oddball shape. FWIW, when my scanner rollers melted they didn't just become sticky, they literally turned into a fluid and dripped all over the circuit board and the desk it was on. Our tropical climate does funny things to plastic and rubber.

I'll leave these transistors alone for the present, but if they start to decompose further I'll try to find a solution that leaves them coupled together.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, thanks. I guess that would explain the oddball shape. FWIW, when my scanner rollers melted they didn't just become sticky, they literally turned into a fluid and dripped all over the circuit board and the desk it was on. Our tropical climate does funny things to plastic and rubber.

I'll leave these transistors alone for the present, but if they start to decompose further I'll try to find a solution that leaves them coupled together.
It's normal to see them become discolored and dark brown from the heat.
I've seen them really really dark brown from being baked from the heat.
There are special parts available for clipping the transistors together, they are made of metal.
They are usually found in expensive amps but you might be able to find them for sale online.

OP
D

dr0ss

There are special parts available for clipping the transistors together, they are made of metal.
They are usually found in expensive amps but you might be able to find them for sale online.
If they're bound together with metal, for example some kind of strap holding a pair of TO92 packages flat side to flat side, I don't see any reason why I'd ever want to mess with that. The plastic cover is the part that I'm worried about.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If they're bound together with metal, for example some kind of strap holding a pair of TO92 packages flat side to flat side, I don't see any reason why I'd ever want to mess with that. The plastic cover is the part that I'm worried about.
I searched online for those clips that I've seen but I found nothing. They are rare and maybe are custom made. Is the plastic sticky when cold or breaking down?

OP
D

dr0ss

It was sticky when I looked at it, which was while cold. I don't know if it gets worse when hot. Deterioration like this is pretty common with plastic and rubber where I live. I don't think it is critical at this point, just something for me to keep an eye on.

If it does get critical I suppose I can try to get help/advice from Rotel.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It was sticky when I looked at it, which was while cold. I don't know if it gets worse when hot. Deterioration like this is pretty common with plastic and rubber where I live. I don't think it is critical at this point, just something for me to keep an eye on.

If it does get critical I suppose I can try to get help/advice from Rotel.
I would leave it until something has to be done. If it was necessary, assuming the the transistors are TO-92 or similar, I would cut the plastic sleeves away and clean the transistors with cotton buds and isopropyl alcohol. Apply a little bit of thermal compound to flat surfaces. Align the transistors so the flat surfaces touch and slide a piece of heatshrink tubing over the transistors. I would use a piece of tubing that just fits over both the transistors and wouldn't apply the heat gun for very long.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would use a piece of tubing that just fits over both the transistors and wouldn't apply the heat gun for very long.
Going off the sleeves like the ones that @dr0ss has in his unit and the ones that I've seen first hand that are just like his I think that is silicon heat shrink tubing. It could be high temp shrink too. If silicon that could explain the rubbery stickiness.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Interesting that they are laid out in a front to back configuration and thus required thermal paste and a coupling cover.
I have seen back to back sets with a dual hole, single aluminum heat sink that also served as a coupling device.

Maybe a Sziklai pair configuration.

How old is this amp ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz. I searched for a service manual and none to be found.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I searched online for those clips that I've seen but I found nothing. They are rare and maybe are custom made…

Ha! :)

OP
D

dr0ss

How old is this amp ?
I bought it used so don't know (are there date codes in the serial number), the seller claimed 2020 but I have no reason to believe that other than it was in pristine condition (other than these sticky brown sleeves). I think Rotel put this model into production in 2016.

Nice find! There aren't many posts about Rotel on ASR, but somehow I missed that one. The RA-12 shown there is the previous model to my A12, but that daughterboard looks very very similar.

I searched for a service manual and none to be found.
Nor a schematic.

Top Bottom