• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Transform cheap headphone using built in functions of your smartphone?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I read Amir's $9 Sony headphones review thread and decided to check if I can also transform my low cost TaoTronics (2018 version) headphones using eq.

As is, via my Samsung Note 9, bass a bit muddy, highs not that sharp. Can't get loud enough bass kicks, even at max volume. Using Laptop to KTB to Topping L30, can go louder, but bass is muddy.

With my phone, I start with Adapt Sound option. I let the app adapts the TaoTronics to my hearing. It nicely improve highs and bass clarity. However, that alone still not giving me enough bass punch for some songs. I then turn on Atmos option and found that it nicely increases bass kicks.

End result? Sharper highs, cleaner and punchier bass. Much better than no eq on phone or no eq from laptop to KTB to Topping L30.

Anyone of you with Samsung smartphone tried Adapt Sound and Atmos option?

BillG

Major Contributor

I don't own a Samsung smartphone at present - I have in the past, though - but my current one does have Dolby Atmos baked into its version of Android. I use it frequently for music apps that don't have a built-in EQ.

It works well. While not precise to a decibel point on the sliders - I just round the values up or down to the nearest whole number dependent upon the frequency band involved - it can be used to implement various AutoEQ github profiles, and I've done so with success.

Apparently, Dolby Atmos implements some sort of crossfeed filter as well - this is according to a third-party technical abstract - but the company isn't forthcoming about its exact nature.

My only issue with Atmos is its inability to store multiple custom profiles - we get one, and that's it... :confused:

Last edited:

xykreinov

Forum Donor
I read Amir's $9 Sony headphones review thread and decided to check if I can also transform my low cost TaoTronics (2018 version) headphones using eq.

As is, via my Samsung Note 9, bass a bit muddy, highs not that sharp. Can't get loud enough bass kicks, even at max volume. Using Laptop to KTB to Topping L30, can go louder, but bass is muddy.

With my phone, I start with Adapt Sound option. I let the app adapts the TaoTronics to my hearing. It nicely improve highs and bass clarity. However, that alone still not giving me enough bass punch for some songs. I then turn on Atmos option and found that it nicely increases bass kicks.

End result? Sharper highs, cleaner and punchier bass. Much better than no eq on phone or no eq from laptop to KTB to Topping L30.

Here's a guide to PEQ for Android. I think most of the software it lists does what you're looking for best. : https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq#android
Wavelet will get you by without rooting. But, I personally recommend Viper4Android, especially. I can help if you need help rooting your device. I have lots of experience.

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Here's a guide to PEQ for Android. I think most of the software it lists does what you're looking for best. : https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq#android
I personally recommend Viper4Android, especially. I can help if you need help rooting your device. I have lots of experience.
I actually am pretty happy with Adapt Sound option available on my Note 9. It actually plays many tones and ask me if I could hear the tones. It would adjust tones accordingly based on my responses. I can have different Adapt Sound profile for each headsets I own. That is pretty cool!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor

xykreinov

Forum Donor
I actually am pretty happy with Adapt Sound option available on my Note 9. It actually plays many tones and ask me if I could hear the tones. It would adjust tones accordingly based on my responses. I can have different Adapt Sound profile for each headsets I own. That is pretty cool!
Oh, that does sound nice and handy.

Jimi Mack

The first question that really should be addressed is what format and quality is your source material. Are you using your own files or streaming and and what quality, the old proverb of bad sound in... bad sound out will always win.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
The first question that really should be addressed is what format and quality is your source material. Are you using your own files or streaming and and what quality, the old proverb of bad sound in... bad sound out will always win.
Tidal CD or Master quality streaming and newer YouTube music videos.

Top Bottom