• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trailer for Denis Villeneuve's Dune

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a very good reason for buying a 4k Blue Ray player.
I am dreaming of a new Dune movie since the 2000 Tv serie (3 episodes).
It is a 20 years waiting period. :oops:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And that, Sir, is how they will build R2R Dacs in 10192 AG

1599726178719.png

1599726211717.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The only thing I found really annoying was to see sting starring in that movie.
Not that he did a particularly bad job but still...

Liked the movie a lot. Didn't even know there was a TV series.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
The only thing I found really annoying was to see sting starring in that movie.
Not that he did a particularly bad job but still...

Liked the movie a lot. Didn't even know there was a TV series.
The series were the stepping stone for Alec Newman and James McAvoy to a great acting career.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I liked the David Lynch version okay. Just seemed too miss somehow being good. The scifi channel mini series wasn't bad either. Still neither comes close to doing the books justice.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dune is Game of Thrones before Game of Thrones. x10. I think in this day and age it would be better served as a HBO series or Amazon/Netflix/<streaming service of choice>than a movie or 2. It's just so big and expansive a universe with so much time passing. More like Silmarillion+Hobbit+LOTR. Still hope it does well and want to see it. It's one of my all time favorite book series.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I liked the David Lynch version okay. Just seemed too miss somehow being good. The scifi channel mini series wasn't bad either. Still neither comes close to doing the books justice.
Actually, I found the Lynch one pretty okay until the second half unfolded. It was simply a rushed mess after the desert marooning. But yeah, only the illiterate can watch this without comparing it to the book every second.

Dune is Game of Thrones before Game of Thrones.
Except that it's good.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This by Denis Villeneuve. One of my favorite scifi books and series. Hope they do a good job with this.

I liked the Lynch film, though played a bit too much with the story. Never made it through the "Children" mini series! Loved all the FH books- the legacy ones, not so much.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched the David Lynch version (again) after the Villeneuve trailer was released. Strangely acted movie with way too much thought narration.

I’d never heard of the mini-series but found a cheap director’s cut DVD set on EBay. I just watched the first episode last night. So far it seems about on par with the Lynch movie without the Lynch weirdness.

The Villeneuve trailer looks promising. Nice use of an iconic song.

Martin

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I agree that this would be better served with an HBO or Netflix series approach. Perhaps if the new movie does well it may make a business case for such an undertaking. The books were so very good. I remember reading them after the LOTR series, including reading the Silmarillion. I read a fairly off the wall series but still very good going by memory, not sure of my spelling being correct but I believe it was titled The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that this would be better served with an HBO or Netflix series approach. Perhaps if the new movie does well it may make a business case for such an undertaking. The books were so very good. I remember reading them after the LOTR series, including reading the Silmarillion. I read a fairly off the wall series but still very good going by memory, not sure of my spelling being correct but I believe it was titled The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

I assume this (not one Ive heard of but might try) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Thomas_Covenant

boswell

At the time most Sci-fi books were brief; pages wise. The prose was terse, lacking the padding of modern writing. The better authors transported you via your imagination, not with overblown description. Dune was a long book but it hooked you in and its scope was enormous; I have read it more than 10 times. I loved that book. One of the books that I loved most was a short book by Roger Zelanzny called "Lord of Light" . I recommend it if you ever come across it.
btw you want to torture yourself as did Thomas Covenant himself then read about the "White Gold Wielder"

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the time most Sci-fi books were brief; pages wise. The prose was terse, lacking the padding of modern writing. The better authors transported you via your imagination, not with overblown description. Dune was a long book but it hooked you in and its scope was enormous; I have read it more than 10 times. I loved that book. One of the books that I loved most was a short book by Roger Zelanzny called "Lord of Light" . I recommend it if you ever come across it.
btw you want to torture yourself as did Thomas Covenant himself then read about the "White Gold Wielder"

I read them all in my younger days, but dear me, weren't they depressing?

S.

Feanor

Forum Donor
The trailer looks pretty good. The closer the 2020 version sticks to Frank Herbert's book, the better. As for that, I enjoyed Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune; subsequent books not so much.

By pure coincidence I watched the Lynch Dune a couple of days ago; I enjoyed watching it once again.

I have also the 2000 John Harrison TV series Dune which I also enjoyed. Plus I have the subsequent Children of Dune series by the same crew which, again, I enjoyed.

gattaca

A lot of eyeballs on this - waiting a long time. You might enjoy this comparison....so far ->

Audioagnostic

The greatest movie never made. If anyone is familiar with Jodorowsky's work you know what they mean.

Word. I ordered the new 4k restoration of the holy mountain and el topo. It just shipped, excited about that. The box is available at abkco, very good value, 4 dvd set plus 2 cd's.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I bought the original DVD release ages ago which included (IIRC) Fando and Lis and Santa Sangre too. I think it was Fando and Lis that started a riot a plus in my book.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those interested in Sci-Fi book series I highly recommend Lois McMaster-Bujold’s Vorkosigan Saga. I’d love to see it made into a limited series.

Then there is the greatest of all time, Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Series. Looks like AppleTV is taking it on. (I may need to subscribe to yet another streaming service.)

Martin

Top Bottom