• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

tracks that reveal pre-delay

dasdoing

Major Contributor
member area!

going to track tracks here.

the one that always worked best for me was Billie Jean,
but today I found out this one:
the "bass drum" is somehow incredibly revealing pre-delay

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Well, unfortunately, if one's in-room transient response (at the MLP) looks like the ff., "incredibly revealing" might not be the case at all:

1684006105010.png

1684006198835.png

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Abbreviation of “following” e.g. ff. example …

Perhaps bad room acoustics could mask transients… however, some of the behaviour may be inherent in the sub/LF bass speaker design.

OP
dasdoing

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Abbreviation of “following” e.g. ff. example …

Perhaps bad room acoustics could mask transients… however, some of the behaviour may be inherent in the sub/LF bass speaker design.

I doubt that what I heard could be masked by any room. It's pretty strange hoe you can listen to 1000 songs and then the 1001st reveals it. I always looked at excess group delay (avoiding negative values) but I am going to focous on Peak Energy Time now. going to create a "phase correction with REW" topic soon

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
going to create a "phase correction with REW" topic soon

Since last you mentioned it, I have now partly been using REW’s impulse export function to refine (twice convolved) some of my rePhase created filters and am quite impressed. It makes filter design a bit easier. I have been wondering about how far one could correct certain rooms — seems to me difficult to achieve an excellent outcome if room and speaker design conspire against you from the very start.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
don't they all do? lol
Speakers hate to be put in rooms, and rooms hate when you put speaker in them lol

No… say, what about rooms carefully designed with acoustics principles in mind e.g. flush mount monitors? And avoiding speakers that have too much GD, port and cabinet resonances etc.

*Actually, I will try flush mounting my RX699 amongst other configurations… and if it works well, I’m thinking of doing the same for my KH120s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom