• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tracking down ticking sound Ayima A07

Miata26

Any ideas on where to continue to track down a random ticking sound? I have a year old Ayima A07 driving JBL CSB6 speakers for desktop use. I get a random "tick tick tick tick" or "ticka ticka ticka" at a relatively low volume, but just loud enough to hear with music.
  • Mac or PC -> JDS Labs DAC -> Ayima A07 -> JBL speakers
  • Power supply for AO7 and DAC are on a separate surge protector (and outlet, but same house circuit) as the computers.
  • Wires separates as much as possible under the desk
  • Same sound with different speakers.
  • Sound occurs if input is disconnected from A07
At this point I'm assuming something is wrong with the right channel in the amp, but don't have the time or knowledge to troubleshoot at an electronics level. About to pull the trigger on a Yamaha RS202, but have plenty of other things to spend my money on if it's environmental rather than something in the A07.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any ideas on where to continue to track down a random ticking sound? I have a year old Ayima A07 driving JBL CSB6 speakers for desktop use. I get a random "tick tick tick tick" or "ticka ticka ticka" at a relatively low volume, but just loud enough to hear with music.
  • Power supply for AO7 and DAC are on a separate surge protector (and outlet, but same house circuit) as the computers.
At this point I'm assuming something is wrong with the right channel in the amp, but don't have the time or knowledge to troubleshoot at an electronics level. About to pull the trigger on a Yamaha RS202, but have plenty of other things to spend my money on if it's environmental rather than something in the A07.
At the price of the A07 you are on the right track by replacing it. Any parts required for a repair would be costly if available and then you would need the tools and such to service it. The R-S202 is a great value piece and you get Yamaha warranty support to go with it.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you saying you get the ticking with nothing connected to the amp except power and speakers?

If so it is difficult for that to be anything other than a fault in the amp.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Have you tried with a different source as input (cd, tape)?

OP
M

Miata26

All has been sourced from a computer, but at least 2 different paths (monitor audio -> amp, DAC -> amp) and 4 different computers ranging from a relatively old Dell desktop to a new MacBook Pro.

I am trying a couple of source possibilities. The fun part is that it can go for a week without anything, then do it enough that I just shut it off until I need music again.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All has been sourced from a computer, but at least 2 different paths (monitor audio -> amp, DAC -> amp) and 4 different computers ranging from a relatively old Dell desktop to a new MacBook Pro.

I am trying a couple of source possibilities. The fun part is that it can go for a week without anything, then do it enough that I just shut it off until I need music again.
Can you confirm you still get the ticking with no inputs connected to the amp?

OP
M

Miata26

Checking on no input (thought I had tried it, but it's been a while), sort of hoping it hasn't decided to work for a while as it does make the troubleshooting take a lot longer.

OP
M

Miata26

Can you confirm you still get the ticking with no inputs connected to the amp?
Yep, just did. Off to shop around a bit, but the Yamaha is still likely.

Thanks all. Sometimes it helps just to bounce things around / articulate them to someone else.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Shoot! Glad mine is doing just fine, I love that little thing. But I am sure the current crop of Yamaha integrated amps are good and reliable, as always...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not coincident with changes of volume or other feature adjustments?

OP
M

Miata26

Shoot! Glad mine is doing just fine, I love that little thing. But I am sure the current crop of Yamaha integrated amps are good and reliable, as always...
I love the size of it, but there's been a couple of quality issues, so I'm not going that route again.

Top Bottom